ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as most of you know i got the ISC racing hood for my miata but i cant figure out how i want to mount it since i wont be able to use the stock hood hinge.

so my options are using 4 locking hood pins (only because they look way better then the ones that use pins) to keep it on or use DZUS fasteners to keep it on.

DUZS: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/dzus.htm

i really like the idea of using DZUS fasteners but i am scared of messing up the hood triyng to install them and same goes for the hood pins.

what do you guys think i should use?

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
good luck, I have no expertise on this, have you ever thought about joining some racing forums to see what they say?

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have tired to join the scca forums, auto-x forums and the no problem race way forums to see if i could get some help but i have been waiting over a week for admin's to let me join the forums.....

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
So, are you trying to stay super clean? I like the DZUS, but it'd be easy for someone else to take it off, wouldn't it?

I don't know what those locking hood fasteners are called that are shaped like a teardrop, and take a key...but those are pretty clean too. Dunno how easy it'd be to use on a hood like that though.

What if you did the DZUS, but instead of using a phillips head screw, used some weird headed screw that took a torque bit or something that someone wouldn't readily have available?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The only bad thing about Dzus fasteners is that anyone could come along and open/take the hood. It's fine if you never park it out side or really don't care.

Don't worry to much about drilling. You know how the old saying goes, measure twice and cut (or drill) once.

I guess if you went with the Dzus fasteners you could have the tab for the spring part bolt under the fenders and do like 3 along each side. And if you go with hood pins there are 4 obvious choices in the front and you'd have to get imaginative for the rear. Maybe get some threaded bosses and weld them in? Just a thought.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
So, are you trying to stay super clean? I like the DZUS, but it'd be easy for someone else to take it off, wouldn't it?

I don't know what those locking hood fasteners are called that are shaped like a teardrop, and take a key...but those are pretty clean too. Dunno how easy it'd be to use on a hood like that though.

What if you did the DZUS, but instead of using a phillips head screw, used some weird headed screw that took a torque bit or something that someone wouldn't readily have available?
The DZUS fasteners dont use a philips bit, its a deep slot. and I think Bill from miataroadster sells the teardrop "aero" latches.
edit* http://www.miataroadster.com/aerocatch.html $95 for locking ones.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
^ Ah, those were exactly what I was talking about. Thanks! AeroCatch.... #-o

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Dude..... :fp: Did you not see this thread is over 4 years old?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts