ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I advanced my timing last nigh from 10 degrees to 14 degrees, I did notice a little difference when I take it all the way through first and second. I was wondering if there was a way I could run a lot more. I already use 91 octane. is there a way I could run more if I were to get bigger injectors or something? this is all kind of new to me cause I come from the FI/twin screw world. thanks for looking.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Timing advance isn't like nitrous oxide. You don't automatically get more power by advancing more. Advancing ignition timing keeps the same advance curve but shifts it slightly to one direction. Timing advance is more like spark plugs - you've got to be in the right range to make the best power for your motor. Ideal timing could change depending on cam lift, duration, and overlap, intake temperature, fuel octane rating, compression ratio, combustion chamber shape, number and shape of valves and valve seats, spark intensity, etc. Your goal should not be "how much advance can I run". Instead, your goal should be something more like "how can I make more power?" or "how can I make the engine more responsive to throttle inputs?" or "how can I shift peak torque higher up the rpm range to maximize peak hp?"

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi,
I advanced my timing last nigh from 10 degrees to 14 degrees, I did notice a little difference when I take it all the way through first and second. I was wondering if there was a way I could run a lot more. I already use 91 octane. is there a way I could run more if I were to get bigger injectors or something? this is all kind of new to me cause I come from the FI/twin screw world. thanks for looking.
No matter what injectors you run they're still squirting the same formulation of gasoline. Even 91 octane....or even the 93 we have in Florida isn't gonna save you from the dreaded ping when things get all hot an' bothered...Timing...the car was set at the factory; engineered to be at 10 degrees before top dead center....

Even though the B6 and BP retained the internals of their gtx turbo cousins, they dont deserve to be spanked by wicked rhino-timing...go console your engine, let it know that you appreciate how hard it works for you....you love it unconditionally, you like it just the way it is...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts