ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been pretty set on getting BC Coils for a while to DD and drift at the track. I was just wanting some input for HSD owners who drift or hopefully someone who's had/driven both..? I want stiffness, that's first priority. A nice ride would be great but not a priority. Any input would be great even if you don't own one of them, thanks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Before anyone says it, you probably should have searched before you posted this, it's probably been talked about a bazillion times.

Now that thats out of the way: If you want stiffness, maybe you should consider other coilovers. I know theres a bunch of people who will make custom sprung/dampened coilovers. Fortune auto comes to mind here. I don't know what you consider "stiff" though. My Flyin miata springs are only 315 front, 233 rear, and feel stiff to me. Most companies who make miata coilovers that aren't specifically Miata Focused use 7k/6k F/R. Thats just a little siffer than 315, and probably not near as stiff as your wanting. I'm willing to bet BCs have 7k/6k/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before anyone says it, you probably should have searched before you posted this, it's probably been talked about a bazillion times.

Now that thats out of the way: If you want stiffness, maybe you should consider other coilovers. I know theres a bunch of people who will make custom sprung/dampened coilovers. Fortune auto comes to mind here. I don't know what you consider "stiff" though. My Flyin miata springs are only 315 front, 233 rear, and feel stiff to me. Most companies who make miata coilovers that aren't specifically Miata Focused use 7k/6k F/R. Thats just a little siffer than 315, and probably not near as stiff as your wanting. I'm willing to bet BCs have 7k/6k/
I searched and couldn't find anything discussing these two specifically.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
7k/6k is pretty soft (392/336 in pounds). When I ran my miata on street tires and dailying it I was running 700/400 (12.5k/7k), and now I run 840/505 (15k/9k) which I think is a bit too soft and I'm considering 1000/650 (18k/11.5k). Of course I dont drift much on purpose. Just giving a reference that your "stiff" is pussy **** and it only feels stiff because your shocks are cheap crap. On my 949 xidas even the 15k/9k setup rides more comfortably than stock.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,155 Posts
BC is 8/6k to 10/8k normally. You can go stiffer and have them revalved as part of your package. I know guys that run stiffer springs and a different valving and they are smooth as butter. (although you technically shouldn't be looking for ultra stiff unless you have no power under the hood and need the extra help sliding around) Just for your info, OP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BC is 8/6k to 10/8k normally. You can go stiffer and have them revalved as part of your package. I know guys that run stiffer springs and a different valving and they are smooth as butter. (although you technically shouldn't be looking for ultra stiff unless you have no power under the hood and need the extra help sliding around) Just for your info, OP
I mean I don't want ridiculously stiff but I mean I want something more beneficial than stock suspension. I think I'm going to go with BC's as I thought, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7k/6k is pretty soft (392/336 in pounds). When I ran my miata on street tires and dailying it I was running 700/400 (12.5k/7k), and now I run 840/505 (15k/9k) which I think is a bit too soft and I'm considering 1000/650 (18k/11.5k). Of course I dont drift much on purpose. Just giving a reference that your "stiff" is pussy **** and it only feels stiff because your shocks are cheap crap. On my 949 xidas even the 15k/9k setup rides more comfortably than stock.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.