ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was replacing my hardtop brackets with the spec miata ones and the phillips screws with the red loctite snapped. I tried extracting them with a screw extractor but it just broke. Now I need to drill out the holes and retap them. From my understanding this is a pretty common problem so I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. I don't own a tap/die set so I wanted to ask here before buying one. I live in the santa monica area(90025) and would be willing to compensate for gas and time. Im pretty broke so Im kinda stuck and I cant afford to hire a body shop to remove them. Does anyone have any advise on removing these suckers? Anyone know the size of the tap I would need also?
thanks again for any help I really appreciate it.
I did search my problem but I needed to post to ask for the help
I need my top back on asap so in the morning I might go buy the tap/die if no one has.
WPMiata

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had the same problem. Head snapped off, them tried drilling with a left hand bit.. no success. Tried heating it with a soldering iron then using an extractor, no dice.

Finally just left the latches in. I have latches in the front and plates on the side now.

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just figured I would post here with the soultuion to my problem just incase someone else searches this up and finds it. I used a set of cheap-o drill bits from harbor freight that worked ok. The bits wore down very quickly but since it came with so many different sizes, I was able to start small and work my way bigger drilling out the broken screws. I didn't have any cutting oil for lubrication so I just used motor oil on the bits and the tap...(it seemed to help) I had ordered some thread inserts from Granger online that matched the same thread pitch as before. These thread inserts required me to drill out the holes to a size of ~8.6mm and then tap M 10x1.5. After the three stubborn screws were out and the inserts were in you could never tell a difference.
All in all it sucked that my hardtop had phillips tip screwes with red loctite but **** happens. It took me a long time to get them drilled out straight but I did take my time. A body shop would have railed me for this job so I recommend doing it yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts