ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month i"ve been experiencing alot of vibration from the left rear side (driver rear). it hard to explain.
i searched every where and people are saying its my wheel bearing.

my question is should i replace the wheel hub and bearing or the bearing alone? or replace both sides?

thanks for the help!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
289 Posts
For the past month i"ve been experiencing alot of vibration from the left rear side (driver rear). it hard to explain.
i searched every where and people are saying its my wheel bearing.

my question is should i replace the wheel hub and bearing or the bearing alone? or replace both sides?

thanks for the help!:mrgreen:
Are your wheels hubcentric? If not, when you tighten your lugs, do you go in a pattern such to insure the conical seats sit properly on each lug? Are your wheels balanced correctly?

To see if its a bearing, you can remove the knuckle and spin the hub in the knuckle by hand. If it makes any noise at all its probably bad. You can also see if you can move the wheel when its jacked up and the lugs are tight (the hub and bearing would be moving around). If it moves around, replace the bearing ASAP. The bearing could be bad even if it passes these two tests, but these are good places to start. Good luck

Edit: horribleR beat me to the second test

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are your wheels hubcentric? If not, when you tighten your lugs, do you go in a pattern such to insure the conical seats sit properly on each lug? Are your wheels balanced correctly?

To see if its a bearing, you can remove the knuckle and spin the hub in the knuckle by hand. If it makes any noise at all its probably bad. You can also see if you can move the wheel when its jacked up and the lugs are tight (the hub and bearing would be moving around). If it moves around, replace the bearing ASAP. The bearing could be bad even if it passes these two tests, but these are good places to start. Good luck

Edit: horribleR beat me to the second test

wheels are balanced. each lug is properly tighten.
when driving i do hear a wired sound. its kinda loud too. the vibration starts at 65-75 when i go any faster than 75, the vibration stops.

ill jack up the car when i get home and try spining and moving the tire

thanks for the help and tips!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
wheels are balanced. each lug is properly tighten.
when driving i do hear a wired sound. its kinda loud too. the vibration starts at 65-75 when i go any faster than 75, the vibration stops.

ill jack up the car when i get home and try spining and moving the tire

thanks for the help and tips!!
This is a long shot but try loosening the lugs, then with the wheels in the air get all 4 lugs snug in this pattern

Then torque them in that same pattern. Once a tire shop torqued my friend's mom's lugs incorrectly and the conical seats didn't seat in the right way. That threw her wheels out of alignment with the hubs and caused vibrations like what you describe. Also what wheel weights were used? The sticky weights sometimes come off which can of course throw the balance off.

The vibrations like what you describe don't sound like wheel bearing problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts