-Rennenmetal HT brackets
-Project-G HT spoiler
-Garagestar License plate relocator
-Bosch Ecodes w/ Hella 55/100W H4 bulbs
-GReddy cat-back
-Runabout mirrors
-Runabout fuel lid

Hey CR,

So got my first miata not too long ago, 95 montego w/89k on the odo and bone stock. I believe it's the PEP with AC, cruise, PS, PW, PM, and hopefully means a Torsen LSD. This is a DD and I'm a college student so I'm still debating whether to put a lot of money into it, ie rims, roll bar, suspension. So far, all I've done are things to keep the car running right. Changed the radiator because it was the OE, valve cover gasket cuz it was leaking, changed diff and tranny fluids. So I guess you wouldn't call this a build thread, more like an online album w/descriptions and comments from fellow enthusiasts. Coming up in the near future, I'm thinking of repainting the rims white, they're silver and rough looking and I think white would probably look good on the montego.
Some pics

Also did the Randall intake. Car sounds awesome and less hesitation during acceleration, I'm happy. I made a write-up for this also so if anyone needs the exact dimensions I used for the pieces, send me a PM, it'll save you a lot of time trying to fit and cut things to length.
Lots of trimming and cutting

Finished product

Also, the rain rail was leaking into the trunk. Instead of buying a new one and having to deal with rivets and all that junk, I did the Gonzorail instead. Works awesome, no more trunk aquarium!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So been having a lot of heat at my leg and around the shifter area. Seems like the rubber boots by the shifters are notorious for ripping. So I ordered a set from Rosanthal Mazda.

Found out both boots ALL jacked up

Oil from the turret

All fixed

Drove around for a while and so a lot less heat in the cockpit, the shifter boot is no longer hot to the touch. So awesome!! :mrgreen: Still some heat by the leg area on the driver side. I may do the insulation mod....

Did couple things today. After the rainy days, I still got some moisture under the trunk mat, everything was dry. Again, I went ahead and ordered the tail lights gasket from Rosanthal Mazda.

Passenger side gasket

Up close

Today was also a nice day, so I decided to give these Nu Finish Scratch Doctor and Nu Finish Once a Year Car Polish products a try. My goal was to get rid of all these light scuffs and scratches all over the car, seeing the Scratch Doctor is "guaranteed". Also I was hoping that the stuff would get rid of those annoying swirls that you only see under street lamps or gas station or parking structures, not day light. I read some reviews on the internet before buying and there were some mixed reviews. Some say they dont work, other say they work over time....Whatever, Imma give them a try. Now, two weeks prior, I have clay barred and waxed the car using Mother's kit (Clay bar, detailer spray, wax). This is the only clay bar kit I've ever used and I'm loving it so far, thus I havent tried any other clay bar kits. Needless to say, the first time clay barring the car, it was like shaving without cream, super rough. The clay bar picked up a lot, I was happy.

The enemies

The arsenal

So the plan was to wash and dried the car, clay bar, then Scratch Doctor, then Once a Year Polish, and end up with a scratch/swirl-free car. Washed, dried, clay barred, then comes the Scratch Doctor. First off, it seems like regular wax, just a stronger smell to it, more....fuel-like. Second, once the stuff dries a little, it takes a LOT of elbow grease to clear up. I tried it on the targeted scratches, didn't do much help. I think the wax from the Mother's kit would've done the same. :p So I proceeded to do the whole car, hoping the stuff would at least take care of the swirls for now, maybe down the road, it'll take care of those light scratches...So after the Scratch Doctor's been applied to the whole car, my arms almost fell off. But I powered through to the Once a Year Polish...Once again, not too impressive, similar results to regular wax. Smelled similar to the Scratch Doctor, looked the same, but was applied with a damp cloth (per instructions on bottle). I did smaller sections at a time, instead of a whole door, fender, etc.

Caught at the right angle

Hazed vs Wiped

Total job (washed, dried, clay barred, Scratch Doctor, OAY Polish, Rainex the windows and winshield) took me about 3 hours. Wouldn't say I'm super happy about the results. Seems not too far better then when I use the Mothers kit. Hopefully the Nu Finish products will redeem themselves over time.

Still see the marks. BTW You're seeing the glitter in the paint, not dust particles.

Some updates:
Painted my wheels white with Krylon Satin Bright White since it's gonna be a while till I can afford some nice rims and tires. Turns out pretty good, the white is really bright!!

Before:

After:

You guys prolly see through the rear windows now, cuz I did this:

Before:

Not the prettiest thing/job in the world, but at least I can see through the rear window. Also I come to find out after several top less drive that the material leave little crescent kinks and scratches kinda easy. Not the best thing to use as a rear window, but summer's here and I plan to drive topless most of the time, besides, for $20, I'm not complaining.

Side by side comparison with the old material, this new material is 0.20"

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Never seen the golf car mirror. Clever.
With the top up, the blindspots are blocked as we turn our head to check, with the golf cart mirror, that's taken care of. With the top down, it's a panoramic view of the back. The OE sun visors were super skinny anyways, and for $20, that mirror deserves to be there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was gonna make new door cards, but my speaker cover is part of the old one and I dont feel like shelling >$100 for some LE speaker covers...so I made some door pulls instead. Got myself some extra knee space with the sacrifice of some old military gear handles/straps. Lame cell phone pics for now...I'm gonna make an 'oh-****' handle/loop/lanyard thing for the pass side soon.
DS:

PS:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea the plastic material I got from Ebay isn't made for convertible tops, so although it is flexible, it is only flexible in one direction. When I take my top down, the unzipping and dropping the top down under the cockpit bar put kinks in the plastic. Those kinks are permanent. However, I think this could be prevented with some precise cutting of the plastic. When I traced out the OE window, I gave myself about an inch extra all around. but when putting the window back onto the top, I found the new piece seems too small. I was scared that if I gave it 1/2" overlap all around the border, then I wont be able zip the window back up. Needless to say, i gave myself just a little bit of room around the edges and so the new window isnt taut when zipped up.

My word of advice, find a good material that doesn't collect dust, dont kink up, flexible and optically clear. Then measure 3,4 times, make sure you have the exact specifications. Stick to them and you should be fine. I was never good with any cosmetic works on cars...

BTW, there are some very good write ups at miata.net. Read them first.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Damn, there's definitively supposed to be insulation/padding around your shifter right there. Nice car tho :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it was the beginning of the month and money was abundant, needless to say, I got a little buy-happy. My "car fund" is empty for the next 2 months, but here's the results

The LED is not as super bright as the picture depicted, ie the needles arent super glowing white. But they are a lot brighter and crispier than stock so I'm happy.

Relocated license plate

Works Bell short hub and 50mm extender, this set up sits a little bit farther away from the IP from stock, about an inch

Neo Grinta

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shout out to Eunos Garage for their awesome service and quick shipping on the WB hub, extender, and license bracket (schedule conflict, I couldnt drive 2+ hrs to go pick up the package). Thanks to stormin norman for the door sills

Before

After

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yay updates:

Got an EGR roll bar, as many of you know, the company super lagged on shipping our the bars. I was one of the locals that picked up our bars instead of waiting for shipping. Turned out the whole back made for the group buy had fitment issues. To read more on that, click here http://www.norcalroadsters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14577

So anyways, finally finished installing the bar. I don't really like how the rear backing plates sit over some overlapping metal areas; this makes the backing plates bend some.

Also got a hardtop since my DIY back window crapped out on me. Was gonna get another soft top but couldn't pass up on a decent deal and I've always wanted a ht. I'm really glad how it really changes the car's appearance.

I've read up a little on ht brackets and anti theft methods. Turned out the ht brackets are an alternate to TopLoc. Pretty much the poor man's anti-theft, of course the brackets just made it longer to take the top off, not necessarily ANTI-theft. The hardtop came w/headliner and defroster, which also meant the front screws for the latches had thread lock. I've read how these are notorious for not coming out and was prepared. My brother had a butane soldering gun, which with the tip removed, became an awesome butane torch. This made the removal super fast and easy, however, the heat also made the screws softer, so you wanna go slow. Here are some pics:

Old vs New

I ended up ordering the brackets from Rennenmetal. I've read good reviews about them and IMO they seem sturdier than some other brackets out there. I contacted David since on their website, the brackets were out of order. He informed me they were on their way from the powdercoater. I wanted the bare metal ones and he said he had some on hand in bare metal and sent me a set. I was super happy with the customer service and fast response. I also got the bolt kit as pictured above. This is how the brackets came:

Hit them up w/some Plastidip:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The install of the brackets went great. However, I found that if the bigger bolts for the front were a little bit longer, it'd be easier to get started. After a while struggling trying to get them started and almost cross-threading them, I decided to run to the parts store to get some longer ones. They weren't that much longer, but were super to get started:

Decided to completely take out the old soft top since it was no longer of use and this could save some weight. Then I didn't like the bare look of the rear, so I put all the panels and carpet back in the rear. I like the look, it's clean.

Permanent toplessness:

Next is suspensions and wheels...:blaugh:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts