ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you probably saw the email FM sent out with the 25% off discount for 2.7 hardware upgrades.

Anyone have experience with 2.7 yet? Has it improved? Last i heard, people were unhappy with it because it wasn't much of an upgrade for those that had 2.5 or 2.6 already.

I have 2.5, and my #1 goal with this car is to actually have it run right. My idle control is garbage. My alternator control is garbage. I don't even care about making more power, i would just like to be able to drive it and have it feel as close to stock as possible, but with 100whp more like i already have.

Any input, experiences, silly comments like "GO MEGASQUIRT YOU NOOB?"

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
GO MEGASQUIRT YOU NOOB

(no really I would like to know how much better 2.7 is than 2.6 as far as idle control and all the knick knacks)

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GO MEGASQUIRT YOU NOOB

(no really I would like to know how much better 2.7 is than 2.6 as far as idle control and all the knick knacks)

Yeah, i'm afraid i'm going to wear out my starter from how often it stalls and how hard it is to start on cold start. (Usually three 5-second cycles to finally get it started on cold start. BLARGH)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Most of my Hydra experience is with 2.5, a little with the older boxes, none with 2.6, and mostly on NA cars. On the one MSM that I helped with he was using an NA alternator with the Hydra (2.5). I've been building a turbo project car for local friend ('91 w/ 1.8/GT2871R/LS3 coils/SPALs), he upgraded injectors to the ID 1000cc that FM offers and his 2.5 just couldn't handle them at idle. The car would die when multiple loads were introduced no matter what changes were made, especially when the fans came on (SPALs are power hungry). Getting the base timing and fuel set was also a huge challenge and it was never quite right. So he sent the box off to get upgraded to 2.7 as it actually has the range to control the larger injectors. I got it installed last night and the car fired right up, idled properly and smoothly right at the idle speed target, and didn't die with everything I could think of turned on or when the fans kicked on. I made the initial fuel and timing adjustments to FM's base map and everything was great. So that's already a huge improvement in our eyes. From what I can tell so far fuel tuning is even easier. And the ECU will also always autotune/make adjustments to the long term trims, with or without a laptop hooked up. I haven't gotten to do much with it yet, but I do have to get the car in shape ASAP to pass emissions (hopefully this week), so I should be able to add more soon.

Might be a smaller item of interest but the software is more user friendly. The older software was pretty easy to use, but new users to aftermarket ECUs will like the 2.7, most items have explanations and clear instructions for setting each parameter. It also takes a lot of work away from the user.

And just an FYI, it says in FM's current 2.7 manual in the Closed Loop Alternator Control (99-05) section: "Note- we are aware that more coding work needs to be done in this area, and we're working on it. For now we're setting the voltage target in 99-05 maps to 12.3v for stability & safety."

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds promising!

I'm only running 550cc injectors in my MSM, but i really think the ISC and alt map settings are the bulk of the problem.

I was planning on converting to NA alternator either way since i have no interest in messing with that crap. :p

I'm sure i can find out, but you wouldn't happen to know off the top of your head if 2.5 and 2.7 use the same wbo2 sensor, would you? I just bought a new one and haven't installed it yet. I'd hate to waste money on this ridiculously expensive sensor. :(

I look forward to any further comments! Looks like i've got through the end of the month to take advantage of the sale. :)

Any input as to which "level" 2.7 would be best? I seriously doubt this car will ever make more than 350whp, and i'll just be in the upper 200s as long as the current turbo lasts, i have no plans on swapping it out until it dies.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm sure i can find out, but you wouldn't happen to know off the top of your head if 2.5 and 2.7 use the same wbo2 sensor, would you? I just bought a new one and haven't installed it yet. I'd hate to waste money on this ridiculously expensive sensor. :(
I was told that the sensor is the exact same, however, there is a new harness. This has no effect unless you order a new sensor, if that happens, you just have to get and wire in the new harness too. So you'll be ok like we are, we're using the "old version" sensor we bought new a few months back with the 2.7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts