ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been gathering parts for the past two years to build a 1.8 super turbo kit. Well the wait is over. In the next weeks my 1990 will be alive again. This is the time my wife hates me the most.....when I get home all greasy.

I will be using a protege motor to do the swap. I currently undecided whether I should do the coolant modification or keep it simple as it comes from factory. Any opinions?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If you have the time you might as well do the coolant stuff too.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1990 car/Silverstone with 1.8 motor. Car is full of rare parts including braces and suspension parts.

List of engine parts.
Custom BEGi intercooler. This thing is huge!
Dual Spal fans installed on the intercooler
BEGi T3 Manifold, External Wastegate
Racing Mazda 3 inch downpipe
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Greddy TVVC Boost controller
BEGi High Intake Manifold/Powercoated Black
T3/T04E Turbo .48 housing/60 Polished Trim
Stainless steel lines including return line
Walbro 255 HP
FM Clutch Happy Meal Combo
35 shot of Nitrous
Unorthodox Racing Adjustable cam gears
FMII Link/550 injectors
Clutch Type RX-7 LSD
Greddy Type-RS BOV
Custom I/C Piping

This is my second car. Thinking of removing A/C and all unnecessary parts. Still thinking about it.

The FMII kit looks Mickey Mouse next to this kit. Wanna see pics?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what parts are for sale?
All the 1.6 parts I have including the FMII kit but that won't be until I am done building the car which will take me about 3-4 weekends. I have to install everything. Differential, tranny, clutch, shocks, springs, engine, turbo and a bunch of other parts including interior parts. I have to attach the rollbar, take care of some wiring issues for the intercooler fans and reinstall the computer. I have a lot of work ahead and not too much time, so bare with me. I will share some of ideas & post pictures of custom modifications I did to keep the A/C.

I will also be racing my 2001 this weekend at an Autocross event in Hialeah, Miami so this build up will slow me down a little bit. Tomorrow I am going to spend the morning getting some fittings and a TB gasket for the BEGi intake manifold. I have to reorganize all the parts I have in the trunk and in my father's house to make I sure I am not missing anything. It should not be a problem as I am very good with keeping all my engine parts.

I really want to have the car running by the end of the year for a big import event at Morosso track in West Palm Beach. Every year they have a huge import event the last day of the season and everyone shows up with their car. When a miata shows up everyone wants to see it run.

·
Registered
226 Posts
hey, i am interested in the turbo kit, and i am quite local
so let me know i am willing to check it out and i have some cash at hand.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because my previous 1.6 engine was built with pauter rods and pistons. When I broke the 1.6 oil pump I decided to upgrade to 1.8 because I got a great deal on a Protege motor. $375.00 from: www.alljapaneseengines.com. This engine I am installing now is not built but the nitrous bottle is still installed. It will not be used until I gather some extra cash to build a short block.

I know this sounds crazy but as for now, I will drive the 1.8 stock block with the turbo only. The car has been sitting in front of my father's house for quite a while. In fact, as of now, t looks abandoned and the neighbors are getting upset. The moment they see the car running again well that is a different story. Also, I have all these parts in my father's house, my brother's shop and my own house and everyone keeps asking what I am going to do with the car. I just want to build it now before the car gets towed.

My second reason and most important one is that my 2001 is too nice to modify and I don't want to anything to it except some interior modifications. The engine lacks a lot of power and I am tired of getting beat by Hondas and 240sxs.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well, I was just curious about why no internals since you're spending money everywhere else. I wouldn't worry too much, the 1.8L has been able to produce 400whp with stock internals (and an incredibly good tune)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was inpecting the back of the Protege head today. It looks like it will not be difficult to do the coolant mofication due to the fact that the Protege head is sealed in the front. The back of the head is what worries me a little. I am trying to figure out how adapt one of the 1.6 temp sensors in the 1.8 block.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been working the past weekend on the JDM protege engine. I currently finished the most time consuming part, adapting a 1.8 oil pan using a 2001 windage tray. I have to trim the oil pan in certain areas to fit the windage tray. It took me a whole day plus I have to run to the autoparts store a couple of times. The oil fitting for the turbo is already done. For my surprise, all the regular miata parts interchage. Next week I will probably finish installing the rest of the engine parts. I should have done the 1.8 conversion a long time ago. Is so easy is practically fun. Pics will follow soon.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finished putting the engine together to make sure all of the parts fit properly. Plus is a pain to route the coolant lines. Remember this is a 1.8 engine with 1.6 engine parts.

Crank pulley, timing belt parts, alternator, coi l pack, water pump pulley and Throttle body all from the 1.6

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
ok, is that a mustang throttle body on there? And did you get that intake manifold from bell engineering? How hard was it to install?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The manifold is straight forward. I was going to get the Mustang TB and I seriouly thought about it. They were taking a long time do the conversion on the 1.6. I think the 1.8 TB conversion is easier. I opted for the stock 1.6 TB in the bell intake manifold. Direct swap and now I can keep my I.C pipes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts