ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put my car up on jack stands on all 4 corners to flush the brake fluid (and clutch too). But on my rear tire, two lugnuts are on SO tight that no matter how hard I try, I can't ge them off.

I don't have air tools or anything fance, just a regular lugnut loosening wrench. I've tried using my legs... anything to get more leverage. Even borderline-reckless stuff to the point I was afraid something was going to break.

The front of my car is already up.. I'd rather not go through the trouble of taking it down to the local gas station tomorrow morning, but quite frankly, I'm stuck!

What would you do? What should I do?

I've only had htis car for a few months, but I could have sworn I've taken all the tires off for a rotation before, and couldn't have tightened the lugnuts THIS tight.... :( #-o

M

·
0 Posts
I would just suck it up, take it to the gas station and save yourself a big headache. It seems worth it to just pay they station mechanic a few dollars to loosen two bolts than to waste the time debating how. Imagine the time you will save, a quick trip and a few dollars and you are done. Seems worth it to me; however I do agree with you...I tend to be hands on, and would rather do it myself, but in this situation it just seems much easier.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If the only tools you have are the factory lug wrench get a heavier friend to stand on it. Or call a friend and ask them if you can borrow a longer breaker bar. Or take it to a shop that has a high-powered air impact wrench.

·
Registered
25 Posts
unless you weigh less than 140lbs I dont see how your leg cant do it. I usually put my leg on it and gently kick the corner of the bar. Then again im 220 lbs and my shoe size is 13 lol

·
Registered
718 Posts
Or take it to a shop that has a high-powered air impact wrench.
you could do that if you want to wait. but your car's already up so here's an anecdote.

i always have issues with lugnuts on my friend's jeep, even though the factory recommended torque is like 55 ft-lbs. for some reason, it is rediculously difficult to get the nuts off. we end up grabbing the longest breaker bar we can and jumping up and down on it. it usually works.

also, it's more difficult to take lug nuts off if you've taken 2 or 3 off and the wheel is hanging in place from a lugnut. the force acting on the side of the nut makes it more difficult to back off. make sure your wheel is flush with its mounting surface, like all the nuts are already down and tightened.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get a regular tire iron and a tubular metal pipe (about a foot or two) that slips over the tire iron. It's not a matter of force, but leverage.

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,051 Posts
if you are using stock lug nuts... get a 21 mm deep socket 1/2" drive as well as a long (18"+) 1/2" breaker bar to go with it. this will unloosen the bolts very easily without much force... LEVERAGE! ahahah

TeRRy..

oh, if you still need help, ill be around super auto bacs tomorrow so hit me up at 818 224 8443 and ill bring my stuff to unloosen them for you.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
couldln't you also put the car on the ground, put a breaker bar on the lug, put the car in reverse and use the engine to do it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
you can use pb blaster or liquid wrench..soak it over night..get a pipe, slip it over a ratchet and use your body weight. careful though, you might fall. if all else fails go to a tire shop, they will usually losen them up for free..good luck buddy

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
whatever you do.. don't use brute force.

i had the same thing happen to me and they snapped in half.

Him, if they snapped like that, there was already something up with them. Do what the others, and my math teacher said; regular tyre wrench, plus a length of pipe; the spark plug wrench in your tool roll is perfect for that. If you're feeling particularly puny, put a jack under the wrench. After all that, if that don't work, dip into your pocket for the $10 or so for an extendable wrench. Oh, and make sure you are actually using the right wrench. I've known people to put on an oversized wrench and round the nuts off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Worst I ever had was on my MR2 after having a local shop instal some tires. A couple days later I wanted to change the pads and the wheel nuts where so tight that even with a 4 foot jack handle over my braker bar, and standing on the end, they would not come off.

At that point I brought it back to the shop with some choice words for the owner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts