ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to drag an older C5 Zo6 last night and launched way too hard on my stock torsen ( cars got an FMII turbo kit in it ) and heard and felt somthing awful in the rear of the car. :shock: :cry: Thankfully I was very close to my inlaws house and limped the car up the driveway with out damaging anything else to the car. Either way, Im in need of a new LSD and want to know what you guys think is the best and best prices on them. Im leaning towards a KAAZ becaue I know their quality.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been wanting a lsd for awhile and this is what I have found.

I thinnk kaaz 1.5 is a good safe way to go.

mazdaspeed 2 way, I have heard is over kill

tomei t-trax, sounds like it could be good, but have no clue (ebay for info)

obx, piece of shat.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Torsens are hard to break, but if you're drag racing which usually creates wheel hop, that'll do it. Or maybe it was the r&p? You might want to open it up to see what needs replacing just in case before spending the money. Unless you just want to spend the money, in which case what kind of driving you will do will dictate what kind of LSD (1.5 or 2 way) you want.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im going with a 1.5. I do some track events and autox but nothing too hardcore.

·
3,857 Posts
Did you have the 91-93 LSD or the 94- Torsen

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
exactly, the strength is in the size of the rear.

1.6 6", 1.8 7"

Which LSD you put into each really has nothing to do with the strength of the rear.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Assuming Torsen means Torsen, that would be a 7". And if he did wheel hop it to death, that means a new meatball.

You can't really go wrong with KAAZ. I had a MS which is was nice too, but that was a NA6.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was a 2 way. I didn't have it for long. It was on the car when I bought it and only kept it for <1 year. I never took that one to the track so I wasn't getting the full experience of the 2 way, but just with spirited street driving you could feel it lock under decel and not being used to that took some extra attention. I'm sure it's something one could get used to after not too long, but I'm also sure that if you're not on the ball all the time it's an easy mistake waiting to happen.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres a good one, I took my car to tire kingdom about a week ago and they busted a hub bolt when the were changing out my wheels.

Last night I got to checking the car out closely and checked everything imaginable and even took out the lsd. The lsd is actually perfect. I figured maybe its a wheel bearing that went. That wasnt the case. As I got to the rear driverside wheel, the wheel that had the bolt broken, I noticed that one: my wheels bolts were all so loose the the wheel was ready to fall off! Not to mention that my rear caliper wasnt even tightned back on to the point where my brake pad was ready to fall out!

All that noise was nothing more than complete incompetance on tire kingdoms part.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
that's good. I was going to say it's going to be hard to drive a car with a blown rear. Not to mention, even blowing the 7" rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts