• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is the camera I bought. Kodak Z650

I like that is has 10X Optical Zoom...

It has this feature called "Scene Mode" and I can pick a "Close Up Scene" which describes it best for subjects closer than 28"(The camera pre-sets are Macro Focus, Center-Weight Metering?, Center focus, ISO 100, with f/2.8-3.7)...

So I was messing around talking pictures of my cousins Zip-Zaps, and heres the best one I could get...

So, it focused pretty good on the words on the side, but the front lights (which were just L.E.D.'S) came out quite blurry. This photo was taken with the "Close Up" scene, and not the "flower/mountain". The subject was roughly three inches from the lens.

Any tips or suggestions to get a close up shot with edge to edge sharpness?

P.S. I was looking at accessories, and there is a 0.7x Wide-Angle and 1.4x Telephoto lenses. Which one gets the best close ups? Is it called a macro-lens? It's a 55mm thread if that makes a difference.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
get a macro lens
*edit* Oh wait just saw what camera you had....can you change the lenses on that? if you can you are probably pretty limitied

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
If you want close up images you will need a good digital slr with a macro lens. telephoto lenses roughly exquate to zooming...good for far away objects like nature shots. a telephoto and an image three inches infront if your face would equal a big blur. thats just my experience anyways.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
yea if you want to be very versatile with lens and stuff you shoulda went with a dslr. i've been using a d70 for almost 2 years now and all my nikon lens from my old nikon film camera are directly applicable to my dslr, which saved me a buttload in cost.

i think exhondaman rocks a canon 20d. those are awesome cameras too.

and like skinnyroadster said, a good macro lens will allow you to take close photos. i had a 105mm f 2.8 for my nikon which was ultracrisp and would allow for 1:1 photos meaning that 1 cm on an object in real life would b 1 cm large in the viewfinder.

Scott

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tripod FTW. The key to good photography, even in low light situations, IMO, is LONG exposure times. I shot this photo in a parking garage with the camera resting on a couple of magazines. I think the exposure time was a full second, possibly more. The camera was a Canon Rebel SLR. I could post the 6 megapixel version, but every 56k user and anyone without a 25" monitor would stab me in the face. :)

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the tripod is next on my list for sure! I think I will also pick up a "Digital Photography For Dummies" book or of that sort also.

The reason I did not go with a dslr is because I do not have ANY experience with proper picture set-ups, and being able to recognize what conditions I am shooting in... but the Kodak still lets me change almost all of the options I need. I just need to learn what changes affect the photo and how (books should teach me that).

My sister has a really nice dslr, but she paid close to $900 CAD if not more for it. That's almost triple what I paid for mine. But she warrants the purchase because she took a photography course and she does professional portraits in her spare time...

Well thanks for the tips guys! I hope I can get more and more practice so I can shoot some nice shots of my car when it gets here (mid-Jan w00t!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts