ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost two years since I bought and installed my HDHCDD, and I literally can't remember how the car felt without it! I've been kicking around taking it out and selling it for awhile now, mostly due to the fact that:

a.) I'm trying to make the car lighter, and 40-50lbs. located as high as the bar is just ain't good
b.) it's always restricted seat travel (supposedly the Sport and Hard Core Hardtop version do not do this, but I'm very leggy 6'1"...I'd be surprised if that was true!)

Has anyone pulled theirs and been disappointed? I'd imagine you'd be introducing a bit of understeer (since you're now softening the rear part of the chassis quite a bit).

Who knows? Maybe I'll buy another bar one day to put in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have been hesitant to put one in for the same reason you are thinking about taking yours out. So far i have never tracked my car or even gone to an autocross for that matter (that will be fixed soon) so i don't really find it very necessary. If i can find an M2 aluminum one :roll: then i will get one but as for now, i feel i don't need it and i dont like the idea of adding 40ish lbs up there. Plus it is right near your head which could be worse in anything but a rollover. would rather spend the money on a butterfly brace right now.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, the weight isn't that big of a deterence. The seat issues--particularly with my Axis seat--were really pushing this decision, which I haven't made yet.

It kind of depends on how tall you are, and how much of that is torso or leg.

·
3,857 Posts
I can fully understand you Brian, mainly for safety, I never got one, but now that I want to start doing more track events I feel that I need one.
Tha's why I have one in my garage waiting for me :)
It's the MAX version of the boss frog so I believe I would be getting some clearance from my head.
This is with the standard version
and this one is the MAXX version
On top of that I moved the seat a bit more towards the front...I would very happy if I'm not close to the bar...
Roll bars are good only if they are far away from your head!

·
Registered
720 Posts
i recently removed my roll bar because it was interfering with my seatbelt
i couldnt even get the seatbelt out , it would always lock up

in the future im going to get another bar though

·
3,857 Posts
Unfortunately all the "good" roll bars interfere with the seat belts...sad but true!

·
Mufasa in Training
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HDHCDD does not mess with seatbelt travel as much as I've seen the HDHCHT do it. Can't vouch for the Sport, though.

This decision is still in its infancy, as I don't have a facility to even remove the bar, or the money to buy one and pay someone to put it in.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember B that if you pull the bar you can't autocross with your harness... that has to go too.
Yeah...that thought's crossed my mind. I'd either have to run just the lap belt or the stock 3-point (seeing as I would not use a lap belt only on the street, it'd likely be the latter). That is one BIG reason why I don't want to toss the bar.

M

·
0 Posts
Lihn's cousin Martin's FC w/o rollbar after it flipped end-over-end Sat. AM:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lihn's cousin Martin's FC w/o rollbar after it flipped end-over-end Sat. AM:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/hachihumper/23-09-06_0732.jpg
Dang...I just saw that car not three weeks ago!

In any case, rollover safety is not the real reason I got the bar in the first place (otherwise, I wouldn't have driven so long with one relatively close to my head). I bought mine for the harness bar and chassis stiffness. After that, I looked for the one that cleared the top of my head the best (HDHC leaves about a fist's worth of space relative to the main hoop on the stock seat, way more in the Axis unit, but my head's pretty close to the rear supports on either one. Rollovers in Miatae are rare and, even though a club member rolled her car a couple years ago, I had already bought mine, and it wouldn't have persuaded me one bit. With the car moving towards CSP machine, it becomes less and less necessary.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get a different one then.
Dont take it out because of seat travel...
Thats not legit bro. It is good weight in there. Its 50lbs that will save your ass..

-Jeff

1 - 20 of 40 Posts