Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had posted in this thread and i guess a mod locked my last thread i started

i was trying to figure out why i asked if a 99 1.8 head will fit on a 1.6 block i cant find much on head swaps using search i know you guys dont like it when people dont search but i figured i could ask and get a more specific answer

if youre taking the time to read this and you know my answer then by all means please take another secopnd to reply if you happen to have info that helps

i hear the stock 5 speed on the 91 cant take much abuse, and the short gears kill me is there a better trans for this car?

and super charging over turbo which will bring more power to this car?

and please noone say ls swap my last project was a 81 rx7 ls swap but im done with that whole fiasco i want to mod my next cars existing drivetrain

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well the only 2 reasons I could figure is as you did better than some, Your punctuation and grammar alike where sub par at best. Why this matters you might ask? Because we as a miata community are not EK hatch owners and don't rape our car nor "text" on forum . Like I said you were better than most. Anyways back to your question.

The 99 head question I have no clue.

As the 5 speed cant take much abuse. I can say that's not true. As I drive hard and have never had a issue with gears.

And the whole supercharger/turbo. Everyone is different. Its like do you like a Evo or a STI? Its gonna be a debate forever. From what I have researched it seems a turbo will get you more boost and more power. But a supercharger will give you instant power when you need it also better fuel economy. But again your never gonna find a better one between the two. Just pick one and do it. Also a big deal is 1.6 or 1.8. Seems more superchargers on 1.8.

Hope I have helped and not been a ****!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry about my grammar. I'll put more thought into it, i didnt understand the ek civic owner bit though. Seeing as how im on a miata forum??

so whats a easy power number to expect out of the 1.6 with boost and head work and full exhaust?

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
over 150hp in such a small, light-weight car is a lot of a difference over the stock ~100hp. Go for a ride in someone's turbo'd car and you'll find you don't need high numbers to increase your grin factor.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
c▲t;1071164 said:
so the 300-350 range is far fetched?
You will have to do engine work to reach that. our rods are the weak point and the 5-speed is only good for about ~250 whp.

For your reference, a 1.6L should push mid 200's with the proper tuning. I suggest going over to miataturbo.net for more information.
mid 200s with proper tuning? I think you mean turbo+tuning right?

To the OP:
Turbocharging vs. supercharging is hotly debated, go over to miataturbo for more info. but you will probably find that turbocharging is better for "peak" power.

The 5-speed is pretty much the same through the years. At some point mazda used some different parts in the shift mechanism and fork, but I can't remember the validity of that. It was mostly to fix some difficulty getting into and out of reverse. Power handling wise, they are pretty much exactly the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
The reason your threads keep getting locked is you're asking dumb questions that have been asked over and over again and are ridiculously easy to find answers to.

To the OP:
Turbocharging vs. supercharging is hotly debated, go over to miataturbo for more info. but you will probably find that turbocharging is better for "peak" power.
Turbocharging is better for every Miata application unless you like to go slow and spend as much money on replacing belts as you do gas (Rotrex excluded).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
over 150hp in such a small, light-weight car is a lot of a difference over the stock ~100hp. Go for a ride in someone's turbo'd car and you'll find you don't need high numbers to increase your grin factor.
ive rode in a turbod miata with about 190hp to the wheels, he just had such a big turbo and the lag nade it boring in in low rpms. will a smaller turbo fix this?

id perfer tc just for the sake of peak power. i couldnt speand all that money for a sc and only get another 45 hp out of it. So i could expect around 250 maybe 300 turbod?

and of course tuned none of my cars goe untuned thats a no brainer

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
c▲t;1071241 said:
ive rode in a turbod miata with about 190hp to the wheels, he just had such a big turbo and the lag nade it boring in in low rpms. will a smaller turbo fix this?
grrr, please go read about turbos. there is a lot of tuning, spool, turbo size, power, etc. that need to be taken into account. generally smaller turbos spool faster, but run out of power earlier. depending on volume they flow and what is meant by "smaller".

Get to know the miata quite well and spend your time reading and understanding turbos before you start spending money on it.

I have been looking into turbo applications for last 2 months, beyond what small amount I have already scratched from owning a turbo car previously, and I haven't even begun to actually look at the turbo itself.

You need to do a lot of setting up and planning before you jump into the turbo. THings like, tuning/fuel solution, coolant reroute, intercooler, oil cooler, am I going to need new internals?, will my transmission and rear end handle it all? etc.

read read read read.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
grrr, please go read about turbos. there is a lot of tuning, spool, turbo size, power, etc. that need to be taken into account. generally smaller turbos spool faster, but run out of power earlier. depending on volume they flow and what is meant by "smaller".

Get to know the miata quite well and spend your time reading and understanding turbos before you start spending money on it.

I have been looking into turbo applications for last 2 months, beyond what small amount I have already scratched from owning a turbo car previously, and I haven't even begun to actually look at the turbo itself.

You need to do a lot of setting up and planning before you jump into the turbo. THings like, tuning/fuel solution, coolant reroute, intercooler, oil cooler, am I going to need new internals?, will my transmission and rear end handle it all? etc.

read read read read.
thanks man and yeah i owned i turbod civic and it made alot of power bottom, mid, and top end range with a t3/t4. im just trying to read all i can on what turbos really bring this car to life.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
c▲t;1071124 said:
i was trying to figure out why i asked if a 99 1.8 head will fit on a 1.6 block i cant find much on head swaps using search i know you guys dont like it when people dont search but i figured i could ask and get a more specific answer

i hear the stock 5 speed on the 91 cant take much abuse, and the short gears kill me is there a better trans for this car?

and super charging over turbo which will bring more power to this car?
1) These are not hondas. You cannot mix and match the 1.8 and 1.6.
2) The 5 speed on the 1.6 can take plenty of abuse. Mid 200hp before you need to start worrying. It's the differential on the 1.6 that grenades easily. Upgrade to a Torsen II
3) I always say go with turbo. Better gas mileage, better sound, and higher power.

c▲t;1071140 said:
so whats a easy power number to expect out of the 1.6 with boost and head work and full exhaust?
I've seen 1.6's pull out over 270hp off a stupid small greddy turbo kit/meth/tuned. But if you want upper 200's, I would say just upgrade to a 1.8. I mean it would only be a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade.

c▲t;1071164 said:
so the 300-350 range is far fetched?
You can achieve this with built drivetrain and turbo easily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1) These are not hondas. You cannot mix and match the 1.8 and 1.6.
2) The 5 speed on the 1.6 can take plenty of abuse. Mid 200hp before you need to start worrying. It's the differential on the 1.6 that grenades easily. Upgrade to a Torsen II
3) I always say go with turbo. Better gas mileage, better sound, and higher power.

I've seen 1.6's pull out over 270hp off a stupid small greddy turbo kit/meth/tuned. But if you want upper 200's, I would say just upgrade to a 1.8. I mean it would only be a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade.

You can achieve this with built drivetrain and turbo easily.
thank you for a straight foward answer man, and i was planning on a lsd any way. Im not sure which one yet cause i havent crossed that bridge yet. The car will be my dd when completed and see alot of the hills that south austin is known for.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.