ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, heres the story..

My parents a few of my friends had told me over and over again to buy new tires. The ones I had on my Miata were still the stock 1996 ones that had came with the car. I figured yesterday I should stop procrastinating and go out and buy some.

I came across a place that had sold me a set of 4 Falken ZIEX ZE-912 Tires for only 250$. I put them on yesterday and had just found out how it feels to drive with new tires.

Coming home from work today, it was raining really hard. I was following a Truck that had pieces of wood hanging out of the back. Turns out, one of those pieces was not tied down properly and had fallen out. I swerved out of the way of the wood but my car spun out of control and ended up facing the wrong way on the freeway. A semi almost hit me head on but missed.. Luckily, I got control of my car and kept going. I'm really glad I bought my tires, because if I hadn't.. I would have spun out a little more and been in the way of the semi.. :eek:

Does anyone else have any interesting stories on how they luckily survived or narrowly escaped some type of accident?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i was in the same room when my dad farted, life changing experience :fab:

·
Old Threads > New Threads
618 Posts
^lol

Last week I was out playing in the snow with the Miata and my sister and brother-in-law came to take pictures for me. After about 10 minutes in the deep snow sliding around we were getting ready to leave. They went ahead of me in their 2 week old Lexus driving down the long driveway leading out of the parking lot we were in. The pavement was cleared so what happened next caught me off guard. I was following them at a decent distance but going quicker than them. As I went to hit the brakes I had no stopping power at all, my brakes were completely covered in snow and ice. I kept trying to pump the brakes but still couldn't get them to grab. Luckily they turned onto the street as i was about to hit them so I had to hook the corner onto the street at around 55kph blowing through the stop sign while driving around them with big ditches on either side of the road. Probably my scariest experience driving.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
When I lived in Colorado a few years back I was having some fun in my '06 VW GLI on a mountain road with another car enthusiast riding passenger. It was shortly past midnight, after the roads there became completely empty. We had gone up and down this pass a few times already that night and decided to do one more before heading back to our apartments. The road was currently being renovated and had just received a new smooth covering laid within the past week or two, but the guard rails hadn't been placed back up yet. My tires where already worn to begin, (nor where they even performance tires sadly...:fp: ) and I could tell after the hard driving they were starting to get a little slippery. But of course at that age I was the 1337pRo invincible driver and kept on at my same pace down the mountain because I could most definitely handle it. On one of the last hair pins my car went into an understeer and right off the edge, about ~20ft down a 45-50 degree slope, and stopped hard on a large rock about a foot away from the near vertical 200-250ft drop.

If that rock had of been there, or if I was even a foot and half further to the left I would of completely missed it and probably of killed myself along with a friend. That was the biggest eye opener to rethink how I play in cars.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I wrecked my last car, a 2005 Cobalt SS, by going around a turn at 80-90mph, losing control one way, bringing it back, losing control the other way and slamming the passenger side into a wooden telephone pole. Broke the pole in half and bent the frame of the car in 3 places.

Wasn't wearing a seatbelt and ended up walking away from the accident. Came out with 2 cracked ribs, a broken thumb and finger on my left hand and a rather massive back contusion(SP?).........

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
^your lucky your not dead. phone poles are not forgiving

wear your god damn seat belt next time!!
I know I'm lucky. Luckily, I just go to the track to drive fast now

·
Registered
289 Posts
Some of these may not be "death cheating" but they certainly were close calls.

When I was 16 with a minty fresh drivers license only a week or two old I was doing a hundred or so in a toyota camry down a slightly hilly road that was coming to a T intersection. I knew I was coming up to it so I started to gradually slow down. Gradual brake application + 5 year old economy brake fluid combined to boil the fluid and the pedal hit the floor with little effect. I downshifted for all I was worth but I still was doing 30-40ish when I was about 4 car lengths from the intersection. Out of options I grabbed the e-brake and spun the car through the intersection. Ended up 180 degrees from where I started sitting 3 feet from a fence on a gradual slope on the other side of the road. Another car in the intersection, an actual ditch, less room, or anything else and that could have gone very badly. As it was I pulled out of there with a rather bruised ego and no one else the wiser.

A number of years later I was test driving a s2000 and was doing a hard pull up a slightly hilled on-ramp. About when it crested I decided that merging at 80-90 wasn't a great idea and bonehead me got into the brakes too hard. A tribute to the engineers, the car shimmied, sorted itself out, and kept going straight instead of spinning me into the concrete barriers like I should have. That was pretty much the end of me doing stupid stuff on test drives.

About a year ago I was riding my sport bike on a twisty set of roads in Houston when I came around a corner that had been nice and clean on my last pass through and found myself aimed right at a nice heavy patch of water. From the look of it a pickup had pulled out and dumped some collected water all over the road. The front end of the bike caught the slick, skidded across and caught traction on the other side. Amazingly everything went just right to keep the bike upright and going in the same direction and I continued without an issue.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
good deal. track is always good.

on the days we want to go drive but track isnt an option (which is like every weekend), we take a hour to hour and a half drive north up to the mountains to go drive, that way theres no one really up there, cant hurt no one (but myself), and the peace and quiet is to die for after a long day of work and/or school.

·
64 Posts
Not really cheating death...but could have been a really bad accident.

This AM:

It was drizzly and roads were damp this morning with some pretty heavy fog here and there. I was heading to work and going around 75 on the highway (toll road speed limit = 75mph) and took my exit which is a flyover connecting to another Highway.

The flyover has a decent incline and also pretty high off the ground. Add to that some pretty thick fog and damp roads and you have a great mix for an incident waiting to happen.

I started to slow down when exiting onto the flyover but I was still going around 65/70 while going up the flyover. I was about half way up when suddenly a sea of brake lights appear through a break in the fog. Their was an 18 wheeler in one lane and a Neon in the other. And they were both less than 100 (???) ft away.

I quickly applied my brakes and began to slide a lil bit. Let off and hard braked again, regained some control but still heading toward the ass of that semi. I tried to steer to the lane of the neon as I figured this would be less of an impact and their was a lil more room to give in that lane.

So pumped the brakes again and luckily slide the miata to the lane of the Neon. I ended up stopping about 2 ft from the bumper of that Neon.

I just remember seeing the back of that semi and thinking that if I slide into it, to duck down or I might get decapitated by the rear trailer bumper bars.

Needless to say a little too close for my comfort. I usually keep a 3 sec buffer between cars and adjust accordingly to the road conditions...but that doesn't really help with thick fog.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I was out with two of my buddies in the canyons back home, each of us in our own cars just carving things up, having a good time - came upon a pickup truck that was going slow (probably the speed limit). My best friend was the lead car, so he went to pass the truck. As he came up beside the truck his left wheels dipped off the road because it was a narrow country road, which dragged him left so he tried to pull the car back up onto the road by yanking right, which pulled him back up onto the road but too forcefully and he spun right, spinning in front of the truck and off the right side of the road. He hit a tree sideways and died on the spot. I was the first to pull over, and needless to say I had a re-arranging of priorities and a re-examining of what I did on the street right then and there.

This is what got me into autocrossing years ago - I mellowed down how I drove on the street. And that led to tracking, which I absolutely love, but it was a very costly lesson to learn. I put this in this thread because it could have easily been me in the lead making that mistake - I did plenty of stupid things on that road.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Years ago I once crossed a double yellow on a narrow and bendy mountain road, nearly killed myself and another person coming the opposite direction because I was a fucking retard. Close call, everyone came out OK.

Never again.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
When I was 18, I was leaving my parents house in my oh-so-cool '88 IMark Rs to visit my girlfriend. My parents lived in a somewhat rural area, and the on part of the main road out was a small strip that made a nice 90 degree banked curve going slightly downhill. Right after the curve was about a 20 foot drop that went into a creek that was partially lined with trees with about 15 feet of grassy mud. It had rained about an hour before I rolled out & the roads were somewhat slick as I found out as I approached the curve at speed.

The speed limit on the curve was 30 mph IIRC, I usually took the curve at about double that in the dry. I completely underestimated how slick the road was that afternoon & my rear end swung out going about 45 midway through the curve. As I was sliding backward going toward the trees & the drop into the creek, I pulled up the e-brake & gunned it. Somehow I was able to stop the car with about 6 feet before the drop & about a foot from a massive tree. Luckily, about 5 minutes later a couple of rednecks in a dually drove by & winched me out with no damage except for a bruised ego.

Later that night when I was driving back home, around that same curve, I stopped to attempt to help a Corvette that did the same thing as me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
^I'm pretty sure every proper car enthusiast has had a few close calls in his life, its just the nature of who we are.

Not saying its ok.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts