@15mph MAX-66 MEAS-204
@25mph MAX-42 MEAS-77

CO(%)
@15mph MAX-0.58 MEAS-0.45
@25mph MAX-0.57 MEAS-0.14

NO(PPM)
@15mph MAX-508 MEAS-1423
@25mph MAX-550 MEAS-594

so i failed HC and NO. can anyone help? i saw a table on pg. 2 that advises for HIGH-LOW-HIGH to "replace converter, tune-up & check lean Air Fuel Ratio, leaking exhaust valves"

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Ughhh I need to do a California star certified smog test this year. I have a turbo Miata can anyone help me pass smog legally wink wink?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have non carb legal headers smog guys are not to happy to pass is ;) there telling change headers and ill pass but they still want the hook up price ???/ im like wt...
another question
how much time after i pay my tags i have to do smog?? due 2/20/14
thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ughhh I need to do a California star certified smog test this year. I have a turbo Miata can anyone help me pass smog legally wink wink?
Just find any dinky shady Star station, more glad they'd love your extra business. I'm glad I don't have to smog my car for the meanwhile. Them bitches.

·
Registered
24 Posts
dayum....
well i hope to get my car back today and with a pass then ill have the stock ones ready for that dayi have to do it again...

anyone been smoged on the highway patrol smog stops on streets??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone . I have a issue with my co2 sensor. It's the 2nd sensor. Stil engine light comes up. When driving a steady speed. I red the code. It says values not changed. Even with the new sensor! So I tried to adjust the cas sensor. Because it has been replaced. New wires and coilpack. Sparkplugs are new to. Still the same issue. . I have a 92 miata NA 1.6 and no cat converter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just smoged daughters '93 NA automatic and it failed the 15mph Nox by just 18 over max. It passed every other reading at or below average. The guy said it could be the engine temp to high? The automatic timing is 8 but I think its at 10 and its running stock book suggested plugs. Will getting a cooler plug and the correct timing help?

·
I have poop issues.
1,588 Posts
Just smoged daughters '93 NA automatic and it failed the 15mph Nox by just 18 over max. It passed every other reading at or below average. The guy said it could be the engine temp to high? The automatic timing is 8 but I think its at 10 and its running stock book suggested plugs. Will getting a cooler plug and the correct timing help?

My 93 had the same problem. We don't have EGR so the cat is pretty much solely responsible for keeping NOX at a reasonable level.

If you don't want to install a new cat, the following worked for me:

Retard the **** out of the timing. The car should be nearly undrivable.

Change the fuel filter - yours could be old and clogged and might cause lean conditions (negligible).

Ensure the cooling system is running tip top. Excessive NOX indicates high combustion temps.

I eventually moved to CA and bought a new cat. For $150, it might be a lot easier to just spring for that....

Good luck

·
Registered
412 Posts
^^^ thanks.

I didn't know the timing is lower on Autos (8 instead of 10) and since I replaced the coils on that car last year I'm pretty sure its at least 10. I'm gonna reset the timing and also run the next colder plug. Then check the timing on or other '93 NA automatic..... Maybe thats why they ping a little more than my '94.

We'll see.

·
Registered
23 Posts

whats up everyone, just smogged my car today and i failed, i was hoping you guys could help me figure out what I need. I tried asking the smog guy what I could do but he was being a jerk about it. i also don't understand that entire paper lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Trying to sort out my Smog Results. The Smog station said my timing was off and set to 20 instead of 10, and once that was fixed, everything else should come down. I figured fair enough, I did replace my CAS O Ring, and it's not unreasonable that I messed it up. I take it to a local shop to look at, and they note that the timing was correctly set to 10. Which is fine and dandy, except that whole HC and CO not passing at 25mph.

I just got a timing gun from Harbor Freight so I can see which of the two timing readings is correct. The Shop is ready to order a new Cat for me, but I forgot to bring them the actual paperwork to look at, so I tried to guess/remember what I failed.

Also it seems like most of the other examples I have seen failed on both 15mph, and 25mph. Or Failed 15, and passed 25. So I'm not sure what passing 15mph and failing 25mph means.

So far my plan is to check the timing myself, take it for an extended drive on a new tank of gas, knock on wood, and hope it goes better the second time. But I figured I'd check with the entire internet and see if there is another direction that I need to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im buying a catalytic converter as part of my maintenance to help pass my smog check, I see different stores offer non carb legal or carb legal, does this matter? im hoping I can save by buying the non carb legal ($100 cheaper) if possible.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Im buying a catalytic converter as part of my maintenance to help pass my smog check, I see different stores offer non carb legal or carb legal, does this matter? im hoping I can save by buying the non carb legal ($100 cheaper) if possible.
CARB means California Air Resource Board... so if you're in CA, CARB legal may be the way to go. I guess it depends on how thorough the smog tech is...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also failed smog this year.

My NO failed..

Test Max Measured
15 mph 847 1049
25 mph 786 839
They were unable to read my Timing because my idle was way too high. It was around 1200rpm, but since then I noticed my PCV value is bad and the hose was slightly collapsed. I replaced the hose and my idle shot up to around 2400rpm.

I'm wondering if replacing my PCV value may reduce the NO levels?

161 - 180 of 186 Posts