ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to upgrade my sound system in my NA miatski and i am having trouble picking out what I need and what would sound good.

I am about to order some boston acoustics sr60s(http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SR60/Boston-Acoustics-SR60.html?tp=106) to replace the old speakers and to add tweeters for better sound. I think those would be pretty good.

Now for an amp.... I dont mind doing a little research for a good quality amp. the only thing is I dont know ANYTHING about what to look for. I want to power one sub and the pair of component speakers. The peak power of the speakers say 250. what watt amp should I be looking for and how many channels on the amp do I need?

also any suggestions as far as a shallow mount sub would be appreciated.

thank you for any suggestions or comments! and i appologize for my negligence

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Do an hours worth of study on audio. Find out about rms peak power ohmd dvc vs one vc what components are made of hertz ranges etc.
Then id look into brands like audioque or rockford fosgate etc
Personally I rock audioque doors amps and subs.
Read up and then look at their products, for the price they cant be beaten.

P.s. Their low end doors for 50 bucks are better than the boston acoustics you posted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Polk Audio is supposedly the bed bang for the buck when replacing the 6.5 door speakers. Got mine for 56 bucks brand new.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
There's a lot of info on here for audio setups in a Miata. For speakers, I tell people to head to a higher end car stereo shop & listen to each speaker closely to see what sound you prefer.

For subs, you could build an enclosure that fits in the passenger footwell (there's a writeup on here someplace), or look up the guy on ebay that makes Miata-specific enclosures. I did the latter & requested an 8" enclosure & mated it with a JL sub - works great for me & I can still use my trunk.

My opinion (I dunno if you asked or not) on the Boston's is that I've never had a set of (lower end) Boston's last beyond 4 months. Unless they've changed their quality control over the last few years, they are totally not worth it. I've ran them off an Alpine head unit, & off a small Alpine amp at moderate to high volume levels, properly tuned & installed by the most reputable car stereo shop in Dallas (possibly Texas). They replaced them twice in a previously owned vehicle.

In my Miata right now I'm running a pair of Polk coaxes (forgot the model #, it's in my build thread, but I'm too lazy to check) off a small JL amp - couldn't be happier. One day I will probably swap them out for either Polk or Focal components, but that's another day.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just bought a good headunit JVC 728with 20watts 4 channel. Bluetooth, iphone/ipod. Pandora ready. Some Kenwood 3 ways and I'm done plus my tweeters in the door. I like the sound of my car more than the stero. It sounds good though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts