ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to make it quieter on the inside.. I'm running an Apexi Exhaust and love how it sounds, but when I head out on a date or something it's hard to speak to the passenger..

I want to hear peoples opinions on sound deadening the inside of the car? or if anyone else has any other (reasonable) opinions on as to what I should do..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to sound deaden the interior of my car when I pull everything out to do the carpet..... Have a look into dynamat.... It's expensive but it's well worth it....

Fear Nothing! Regret Nothing!

L%#e E<€r3++!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Date a deaf girl and learn sign language

I want to make it quieter on the inside.. I'm running an Apexi Exhaust and love how it sounds, but when I head out on a date or something it's hard to speak to the passenger..

I want to hear peoples opinions on sound deadening the inside of the car? or if anyone else has any other (reasonable) opinions on as to what I should do..

·
3,857 Posts
In the past - long past - I was trying to make my car more quiet. I read a lot of automotive articles about it did a good research on the best sound deadening material and spend high dollar to buy them.

Then I pulled the whole interior out and I put material literally everywhere. My car became 100lbs heavier but it was still pretty noisy inside.
Of course a couple of years later I had to brake most of my nails and bleed my fingers while I was removing everything :)

So I tend to agree with Bob on this "Save the conversation for dinner." the miata no mater what you do will always be very noisy.

I think most of the noise is coming from the hood and the fender liners - also from under the engine. As a comparison my Audi has fender liner out of a cloth material, special acoustic cover under the engine and under the hood. Also the lack of roof and bad (in today's standards) aerodynamics don't help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
While the car is loud no matter what sound deadener does help a lot. I installed some under my seats to the firewall when I had to pull the carpet to install my FM Frame Rails and I noticed a good bit of difference. I just used up what my father in law had left over from his project but I do plan on buying more and adding some to the trunk and behind the seats/ the rear shelf of the car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I used Raam mat. It's cheaper than dynamat and works great. I covered most of the package shelf and rear shelf right behind the seats. I did vertical strips on the inside of the door skin and did the back wall of the trunk. On top of that, I took trash bags and put them in the tunnels between the passenger area and the trunk and stuffed them with cotton used to stuff pillows or whatever. I also removed the carpet and sprayed bed liner in the floorpans. It's not quiet with the carpet removed, but it's noticeably less annoying. All thats left is engine noise and road type noises, all the annoying drones and crap are gone. I think the bags of cotton did more than anything else honestly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This might be kind of obvious, but how about a silencer? It doesn't do to much to help, but it does tone down the sound enough imo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Temporary fix:

I found that a moving blanket that happened to be in my trunk deadened a LOT of sound (and improved the "timbre" of it as well). On trips with passengers, I sometimes stuff a couple pieces of foam into the space by the rear shock mounts and throw a blanket or two in the trunk. It actually does make a difference and it's a quick last-second fix if you need it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agree. I found the best solution was to stuff the rear tunnel with foam. A lot of road noise comes from the rear boot. THe only problem with this is if the foam gets wet, they'll keep the moisture in the car and could cause more rust in the future. I then actually took it 1 step further and used can spray foam insulation. It's water proof, sound proof, light weight and a good source of heat insulation. (They use it in houses) Google search it. After using the spray foam in the tunnel there was a noticable BIGGER difference to the road noise coming into the cabin, opposed to the normal foam. Trust me, if you are happy with the results of stuffing your tunnel with foam wait until you use proper foam insulation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Idk if you guys ever noticed a MX-5 is a convertible?

So soundeadening materials are kinda pointless imo, it will stay noisy. Unless you install a hardtop and start adding weight there to :whistle:

·
red?
1,239 Posts
... I took trash bags and put them in the tunnels between the passenger area and the trunk and stuffed them with cotton used to stuff pillows or whatever. ... I think the bags of cotton did more than anything else honestly.
I feel like stuffing your car with cotton is a HORRIBLE fire hazard. Especially stuffed next to the gas tank, between the trunk and passenger areas.

Idk if you guys ever noticed a MX-5 is a convertible?

So soundeadening materials are kinda pointless imo, it will stay noisy. Unless you install a hardtop and start adding weight there to :whistle:
Nope, never noticed.

Obviously a hardtop is de rigeur for noise reduction. If you're going after ultimate noise reduction, chances are you already have one.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I ordered Damplifier like Phillyb said and i have a rolled up king size comforter in my gutted trunk. (running Danscreation exhaust with no cat)

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
If you chose to add sound deadener just don't use dynamat. The only dynamat worth its weight in **** is the extreme, but you will pay 2x-3x the price of products that work just as well.

Raammat, e-dead, or if you want the best second skin.

People just keep using dynamat because its sold everywhere. It doesn't mean its worth it.

I've wondered if that expanding foam stuff would help.

I'm betting it could be nice over a mass loader butyl rubber mat. A lot of DBL comp guys used closed cell foam over their mass loaders because they cancel different frequency ranges.

Edit: I found a very nice informative site on sound deadening. This mass loaded vinyl+closed cell foam would be perfect for blocking out road noise. Deadeners aren't the correct product for blocking noise, they control vibrations. Only problem this stuff is over a pound per square foot. I'm sure if it's placed in the correct places; underhood, wheel wells, parcel shelf, doors, trans tunnel, and floor boards it could do a great deal to block road noise.

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts