ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's wet out, and I figured I'd practice drifting a little bit (not on public roads, of course)

Since I'm a total novice, I stayed at low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear only, so it was probably more like power-sliding. Either way, I suck horribly...I spun out 3 times :lol:

I'm not even trying to initiate really, just trying to get a feel of the car being sideways, sometimes with more success, sometimes less...

I've noticed that the car snaps away rather quickly...I'll have grip and then all of a sudden, snap oversteer, no progressive breakaway, I'm going to assume it has to do with the Miata's short wheelbase.

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm wondering, what is a good way to practice...I just want to learn how to control the car somewhat smoothly when it is sideways, then how to initiate.

Also, I need to know where is a SAFE place to practice, other than sanctioned events since it is the end of December and pretty much everything is closed.

Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
Wet drifting is pretty damn hard in the miata, especially one with any decent amount of suspension travel because of its short wheel base and its tendency to whip around when the weight shifts. The best way i've found to initiate a fun little wet drift in a 5 speed is to get up into second or third gear and snap the wheel to the left or right depending on which way your going and pop the clutch to get the wheels loose and immediately countersteer and feather the gas to keep it sideways. Not exactly the coolest type of drifting, but doesn't wear out your tires or put as much load on the ole engine. The best place i've found to have a little fun is in a large vacant parking lot with as little light poles as possible, very late at night, so as not to disturb anyone. Heres a quick vid of a little wet drifting in a stock AUTOMATIC 1.8 w/ some tein springs and konis, no fun at all. 5 speed ftw.

·
Registered
332 Posts
you'll get use to it buddy dont worry... i'm a pretty good drifter myself (almost 3 years) and i sometimes spin out...not lately but i spin out many of times in the past and it gets annoying but you learn from it

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
What helps me when I start to slide, I pin the throttle down and start to countersteer, and just ease out of the throttle lightly until I have gotten back in a straight line.
Before I would start to slide and let off the throttle and the car would violently snap the other way. I usually do very low speed slides and keep it in first gear.

Hope this helps ;)

·
Sponsor
1,391 Posts
lagunaroadster is right, snapback can be avoided by easing off the throttle. the more you practice, the more you will be able to determine how much you need to lay off the throttle.

when i go to initiate, i find success in a slight 'feint' turn-in. midway through my turn-in, i clutchkick, then i just modulate the throttle as necessary during my drift.

i ,personally, dont have an lsd. so when i am having problems on a corner ebrake initiation is very handy. i come in with more speed than i would on a clutchkick drift, then do a quick turnin/ebrake. i hold the ebrake until my back end starts coming around. at that point, i let go of the ebrake and drop the clutch and countersteer, then modulate the throttle, ect.
its kind of a pain, but it works.

the way i do it isnt for everyone, but its worth a shot if you arent having luck with other methods.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice so far people, much obliged!

Miatadam, that's pretty impressive for an automatic!

I'm a 5spd. 1.8L with LSD and lowering springs, btw.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Alignment helps too. I know mine breaks away VERY progressively at present. it was pretty progressive, then i threw the snow tires on... now it's driftomatic central out here.

I doubt the results are the same with no camber/toe, etc.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the easiest way not to spin out is get off the throttle and countersteer more..but theres a problem...if you do it too late or too earlier...you can fishtail and spin out the otherway..LOL you'll get use to this but try this...when you start to feel the slide get off the throttle then straighten out the car..then you'll figure out whats happening with the weight transfers and all these physics

·
Registered
469 Posts
SO have you made any progress??

Here is the best advice anyone with a brain will give you_

Go to an event and have an instructor jump in there.. You will progress by leaps and bounds.

Rain drift is an excellent way to learn also, but street drift is not so good #-o

Also, Initiate. It is what will set up your drift..

-Jeff

Oh, 3 spins isnt **** :) Even if you are a good Miata Drifter. I say Miata, because alot of people can drift. Not alot can drift a Miata well. Maybe 4 people on this forum.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
You should see me play Initial D, you'd change your mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts