ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently trying to build a KG Works inspired Gauge Bezel with classic gauges and I think I need some input on the design.

First of all, I'm a total amateur and I KNOW that the gauge faces may look terrible to some of you. I indeed used MSPaint for some things I couldn't figure out with Photoshop, so go on - laugh at me. I'm neither as patient as revlimiter (I admire your work by the way, I'm sure you will stumble across this thread sooner or later) nor anywhere near as skilled as him. I just like to do things myself and to me, they look okay. It's just a first draft anyway.

As you can see I'm aiming for the classic black Smiths design to go with my additional gauges. I'm quite satisfied with the tachometer and the rev counter, but fuel, oil and water temperature need some tweaking. Some lines have to be made thicker, but for now, this'll have to do for reference. There'll only be slow progress, since I can only use Photoshop at work on my breaks, and even worse, I'm a lazy and cheap bastard.

So for now I thought I'd ask the creative people over here on their opinion:
- I can't decide between numbers or letters for all three fuel, oil and w.temp. I like it minimalistic but also a bit authentic.
- Only text or pictograms or both (too little space I think)?
- I've searched ages for the right font, but I think it's an okay fit for the Smiths. If anyone knows a better one, feel free to tell me.

Thank you for your contributions!

Tim

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
i'd just do f and e on the fuel. remove the h.
for oil pressure, i'd use psi, not bar - so 0-90. maybe 0-30-60-90 or 0-30-line for 60, but no number-90
water temp - first of all, get the temps right, lol. i think pegged all the way to the right is around 250. and put 12 oclock around 190 or so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Philly, 130 degrees celcius is 250 farenheight....so technically he is right. And 2 bar is 30 psi......not all parts of the world run as we americans do, lol.

I like them a lot! I so agree however to get rid of the H on the fuel. Other than that, these things with a black style kg works would look awesome..

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I would ditch photoshop and use a vector based program. You will have sharper results in the end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I got the numbers from the euro gauge faces from artworksdewa.com so they should be ok and they are indeed celsius :mrgreen:.

I'm somewhat tied to Photoshop, so I'll just use it for now. Quality is sufficient for such small pieces.

@HELLIONMX5 Do you mean the scans of the original gauge faces? You can get them on revlimiter.net, over here. For the faces themselves I just searched on Google. But you can also get some inspiration from revlimiter's site. That guy's a genius.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have just made my own in photoshop as I was most familiar with it. Not as good as a vector based prog, but it is good enough. If you know photoshop, then stick with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you would like some inspiration have a look here http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/historic-gauges-instrumentation

It's handy because all the pics are face on.

As others have said, make sure your document is 300dpi, the right physical size and the right colour space to match your printing method (rgb or cmyk)

Another key thing to remember is that fine White lines on black will be eaten by the black both visually and by the ink (dot gain) so make em heavier than normal. Looks whack on screen but they will be better when printed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In Photoshop there is also a way to turn your Text layers into outlines. I would do this. It will make the text/numbers crisper when printed out. Otherwise you might end up with a fuzzy look around the edges of your text. I found this out the hard way when I first started working in Graphic Design and was only familiar with Photoshop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zoona, I pm'ed you about the photoshop files. Can't hurt to see how others do it and learn from it. Yours look very good and sharp.

I'll try that thing with the text layers and keep the fine lines in mind. Didn't know that demon-tweeks site, some good stuff on there.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Red lines printed on black sorta... go away. You need to make them around twice as thick as regular white ones to make them have any visual weight at all when you print them. Otherwise, your redline area will be nearly invisible.

Your outer ring on the tach and speedo will likely be invisible. The gauge bezel will cover it. Need to bring it inboard a lot more.

Same with the H on your gas and 2,4 on your oil. Those might be in the bezel danger zone.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just realised, I didn't say that I used Adam's method for this, including his original scans. And I may have borrowed a few design ideas from him...

I love doing stuff like this - takes my mind of my soul destroying day job. Ended up costing me more in prints/materials than it would have done to get a professional set from him. So unless you really want to do it yourself... think about getting him to do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, only parts of it. Still a great program ;)

Yeah, ordering one from Adam would definitely come cheaper and much better crafted. But I'm just doing them for the fun of it.

Thanks for the advice, Adam. I have a spare cluster I can use to check the visible area of the gauge faces. It'll be some trial and error until everything sits in the right place.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Yeah, ordering one from Adam would definitely come cheaper and much better crafted. But I'm just doing them for the fun of it.
And that's the point of making gauges! For the fun of it. :icon_cheers: There's nothing better than making your own parts. Nothing.

I've helped a few folks do what you're doing. Maybe a dozen over the past year. Some of them have thrown up their hands at some stage of the process and asked me to make them some gauges with their design (which I've happily done every time). Others have been pleased as could be with what they made with their own hands and a little advice from my keyboard. Either way, the outcome was the same - happy Miata drivers with their own special gauges.

I'm glad when folks buy my own designs and thrilled to make custom gauges based on their ideas, but really, I just wanna help folks enjoy their cars. That's why I have my little shop.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I don't think I'm as gifted as yall... I have hundreds of ideas, just don't know how to do things like this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts