ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I randomly spotted a '95 driving by a used car lot at night, so assuming the door would be unlocked (because it's a Miata), I stopped to see what fit it has. I'm average height (~5'11-6'), average build (~160lbs), with size 11 shoes, but it was still such a tight squeeze foot-wise! Everything feels great from the waist up (Now I get people saying they feel "one with the car"), but waist down my footwork was unexpectedly restricted. I'd hit the brake and move my heel towards the gas, and my knee would rub the wheel every time. Is there a tilt option on the wheel that I couldn't find, or is this how it is? My lower foot would also hit the right wall of the legspace, but the heel portion of the shoes I was wearing sort of sticks out, so that might not happen with a rolled sole.

It doesn't really give me any second thoughts about getting one either way, because if I have to I can just use the "half-and-half" method with the ball of my right foot. Which I guess makes the second part of my thread title a misnomer, but I was just wondering if people of similar size found the same problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm 5'9" 175 lbs and I wear 10 1/2. It's really not that hard at all because the pedal placement for Miatas is actually pretty good. Just got to take it out and try... I learned pretty quick.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wear size 12's and it feels pretty roomy down there! Except for when I'm wearing big work boots then it gets real cramped.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, there's no tilt. You can get more knee room with an after market wheel and a spacer. I wear a size 12 and I had to change my style of footwear to slim, lightweight sneakers, and as in most cases with people with bigger feet, it's not actually heel-toeing, but rather instep-outstep.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adjust the way you brake. thats all u gotta do. or u can roll your foot and hit the gas with the side of your shoe.
Yeah, there's no tilt. You can get more knee room with an after market wheel and a spacer. I wear a size 12 and I had to change my style of footwear to slim, lightweight sneakers, and as in most cases with people with bigger feet, it's not actually heel-toeing, but rather instep-outstep.
Yeah, rolling my foot is what I meant by the "half-and-half" (I didn't really know what to call it). I can use it if it's all that the space will allow, but I'm so used to actually swinging my heel that my downshifting rhythm would probably suck for a while. I tried going more towards the upper-left on the brake pedal, but it was still felt uncomfortable. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow with different shoes and test drive so I can try it in motion.

Being optimistic, I guess getting used to it would be an excuse to hit the backroads every night. Haha...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have size 12 shoes.

When I tested my car my knee was crashing into the steering wheel whenever I went for the brake pedal or tried to heal-toe. I got a 320mm steering wheel as fast as possible.

Bending the gas pedal around helps a lot too. I also took out the floor mat because it was getting in the way of my heel.

One thing that gets me is sometimes when I get hard on the brakes I also catch the throttle too. Or I find the throttle is way too high up to catch it. More tweaking, a bigger brake master cylinder and possibly a faster throttle action will help.

It also doesn't help that the engine in these cars takes a long time to change RPM when unloaded. So you have to wait on upshifts and give it a lot of throttle on downshifts. A lighter flywheel will solve this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
adjust the way you brake. thats all u gotta do. or u can roll your foot and hit the gas with the side of your shoe.
Yeah, rolling my foot is what I meant by the "half-and-half" (I didn't really know what to call it). I can use it if it's all that the space will allow, but I'm so used to actually swinging my heel that my downshifting rhythm would probably suck for a while. I tried going more towards the upper-left on the brake pedal, but it was still felt uncomfortable. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow with different shoes and test drive so I can try it in motion.

Being optimistic, I guess getting used to it would be an excuse to hit the backroads every night. Haha...
Ive tried the half-and-half technique and I dont feel it works with these cars. You can't give very much throttle with this technique, and the engine requires a lot because it is so slow revving. I also feel the half-and-half messes with your brake pedal modulation more than traditional heal-toe

I use the half and half to keep a car going that doesn't want to idle. I think its great for gentile braking or low amounts of RPM change (say 5th to 4th gear). But I feel it falls flat on its face when you need to get from 3rd to 2nd in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Broadfoot technique is I think what they generally call that. That's all I can really use, I can't move my feet/legs/knees around that fast without hitting something.

I've tried with the car sitting still and I can do it fine slow, but trying to do it at any speed gives me sore shins and kneecaps from slamming into stuff :lol:

·
Registered
332 Posts
hmm all i can say is just try to see how it would work in that small area. yeah these japanese people made all japanese cars for "small people" HAHA

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I roll my foot, and the critical thing for me was an aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I thought miatas were kind of cramped for a while until I just recently drove an s2000...
Yeah I just sat in one today, its awesome how much better the interior is.

It felt as snug as my NB, except it gave me room around the knees and the pedal box felt slightly bigger. The console and dash design were awesome, light years ahead of the miata.

I was very very impressed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts