ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came with a/c which I both never use nor does it work anymore. So I was wondering if there was a way I could wire one fan onto a switch so I could cut it on between autox runs while the other stays untampered with so it cuts on automatically when it needs to.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
1. Remove the AC from the car. Its a good amount of weight.

2. Everything: compressor, condenser, lines

3. The AC pressure switch is a brown connector on the passenger side of the bay and you'll have to unplug it

4. Run a wire between the two pins on the connector

5. Whenever you press in the AC switch and turn the air on, your AC fun will run but the AC is no longer in the car so it won't run

You could just turn the AC on.......if you don't want to remove everything, just turn the AC on while your car is running. Do it while you're waiting for your next run: boom. Done.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When pulling the AC, the previous owner of mine also pulled the driver side fan so I'm interested in how to hook up a switch to the passenger side fan as well for the exact same reason. It is tempting to put the driver side fan back in though and just use the AC button trick, that's really cool but at this point adding weight is a no no :)

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
The passenger side fan is the AC on my car.

I no longer have AC so I jumped the the connector. I run it inbetween autox runs PR while doing HPDE stuff

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you unplug the wire behind the driver side headlight that runs down to the AC compressor, the fans (I don't remember if it's just one or both) will come on when you press the AC button, and the blower fan is set to 1 or higher. Nice, simple, and easily reversible.

C

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you unplug the wire behind the driver side headlight that runs down to the AC compressor, the fans (I don't remember if it's just one or both) will come on when you press the AC button, and the blower fan is set to 1 or higher. Nice, simple, and easily reversible.

C
Unplug? Did you mean to say to jump that connector? I looked all over on the passenger side like Spiteful said and couldn't find a brown connector that wasn't plugged into anything but I think I remember seeing one on the driver side behind the headlight when I was installing my DDM intake.

·
Registered
390 Posts
So I just tried this. I connected the two pins on brown connector, turned on the AC, switched fan on to 1, and nothing... Thoughts? I have attached the fan to a battery and it works. I have tried to test continuity, but I am a little unsure how to use a multimeter, and could not get any continuity (had the setting on ohm, and was checking all the terminals it says to check in the book, with positive and negative reversed for each and still nothing).

Surely you should just be able to cross two connectors on the black connector rather than plugging the whole harness in??

Step one here, is that on the brown connector side of the loom (the detachable piece pictured above)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a couple of nails on an aligator clip (just seeing if it works at this stage). But the thing is, I don't get any continuity with the multimeter

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
My car came with a/c which I both never use nor does it work anymore. So I was wondering if there was a way I could wire one fan onto a switch so I could cut it on between autox runs while the other stays untampered with so it cuts on automatically when it needs to.
if your main fan cant handle the job, then you have other issue. this is pointless.

·
Registered
495 Posts
if your main fan cant handle the job, then you have other issue. this is pointless.
Stock wise yes, racing wise no. I running a aluminum 55mm Radiator and one fan (Spec Miata) and when I am behind a car with limited airflow (like air flow at lower speeds) my temp gauge starts to rise.

I know of a guy over on MazdaRoadsters and he did a write up on a NB for a switch to by-pass the whole A/C system. Flip the switch and both fans kicked on. He had to tap into the wiring harness of the ECU. I don't think it the exact steps for a NA since the wiring is different, but I believe with a wiring diagram, it can be done.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I had a couple of nails on an aligator clip (just seeing if it works at this stage). But the thing is, I don't get any continuity with the multimeter
Don't use fucking nails and maybe it'll work!

Seriously? Nails? You have to get down in the clip. Get a small piece of heavy gauge wire, strip and twist the ends and shove that bitch in the two prongs lol

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I know of a guy over on MazdaRoadsters and he did a write up on a NB for a switch to by-pass the whole A/C system. Flip the switch and both fans kicked on. He had to tap into the wiring harness of the ECU. I don't think it the exact steps for a NA since the wiring is different, but I believe with a wiring diagram, it can be done.

On the 94+, there a second a/c fan relay seperate from the cooling fan relay...stupid easy to control.

I can't comment on spec miata racing, but anyone trying to do this stuff for a street car is just wasting time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I can't comment on spec miata racing, but anyone trying to do this stuff for a street car is just wasting time.
Did you not read the first post?

He wants to due this since he is, and I quote "autox runs". He running the car at auto cross events and I think is a really good idea to use both fans. As for the relay, that is basically what my friend did on his NB. The ECU flips the relay to on and turns both fans on. There should be a way to du the same thing on a NA. Just some time to study a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I see no point of it for "inbetween autox runs." If your single main stock fan can't bring you back to 190-195°F in under a minute on even the hottest day...

I run a boosted miata making 240rwtq with an IC and A/C consender in front of my rad and I think it's a pointless idea.

There should be a way to du the same thing on a NA. Just some time to study a wiring diagram.
You connect:
1L to 2S 94-95
1A to 1B 96-97

1 - 19 of 19 Posts