ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left college after finishing 30 hours(2 semesters). ive been working full time since halfway through my senior year at high school. i left that job at a library to work as a network admin for a pretty nice company. in addition to that i moved out at 19 and i have a mortgage so I am not going to go back to school full time anytime soon at all.

my job is great, i have no desire to leave, the money i make is great for being 20, hell i make more than a few of my friends parents. my only desire for more money is to eventually take my bosses place in 5-10 years which im set to do and keep getting my yearly raises. i make enough for all my bills, going out, and modding whatever cars i've owned. thats all i want until i accidentally have kids(which i don't want). if that happens ill need to fast track finding more income or make sure the wife works :p

however, my job does not satisfy me intellectually at all, i just sit around on the internet for 6-8 hours a day. i want to take some courses at college that i actually want to take. im not trying to finish a degree, i dropped all my courses 2-3 semesters ago because i didnt give a ****. now i can't get financial aid, and i really have no desire to do anything besides take a class that might benefit me in itself that i would really take interest in.

-photography
-art
-small business

those are some im considering...are there any others that might be a good choice? also it seems out of those choices i cant find any night class offerings :\

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Did you have a major when you were in college full time? How about continuing with classes towards that degree?

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have a major when you were in college full time? How about continuing with classes towards that degree?
um...i couldn't ever pick anything so i was just doing a general studies degree(i think just an associates).

i did politics, up to calculus in math, 2english/writing classes, a few history, and 1 economics.

i kind of want to take automotive classes with my best friend but there is kind of no point to getting that degree. they don't make **** for money for having a degree and the effort they put in.

my friend makes 9 dollars an hour at toyota and after finishing the degree in 2 years he would only make 11.50...

·
Registered
396 Posts
take some financial accounting to get the basics down so, when you do make it to the top, you'll have the knowledge of working from the bottom to the top of the company along with the operating, financing, and investing aspects. another good thing is that you'll know off hand what its past, current, and future financial requirements are, so when it comes to changing pace to suit the economy, you're not faced with major layoffs and temp employees in times of turmoil. you'll also know how to balance the books to so see if anyone's taking a cut or where you're losing money, and not just going by what your minions are giving you. DTA.

or, just study T&A and become a superhetero. be a mild mannered google surfing guy during the day, and be the "Jeweler" at night... his super powering is giving pretty girls one of a kind pearl necklaces, naval chains, and washable earrings...

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah for sure. now that i have my foot in the door in the IT field even if i lost my job, with a few certificates i could find work almost anywhere. my boss actually has no certificates or degree. he does know everything to back up his experience as head of IT for multiple companies in his past though.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Photography is always fun. I'd do that.

How about a new language?

A certification in something related to computing as already mentioned? Microsoft, Linux, Cisco, Java, etc. (^_^ )

·
Registered
304 Posts
What do you do in the IT area?

Programming seems like it would be a challenging class. Always wanted to take a class on that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As much as math sucks, there is no better personal tool available than learning how to manage money in business and for yourself. If you have a mortgage, you know all about interest rates. A light business math course is a huge help when it comes time to financing a car, or buying something on credit.. or learn if you're being stiffed by a client because you aren't breaking even.

Cool stuff in social media.. getting facebook or youtube certified lands good gigs as well..

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I was a history minor (ancient history actually), so my ideas of interesting might differ from some.

My favorite electives:
Greek Myth (Classics 110 or something, a freshman class) - the final project was writing our own myth in the Homeric language style. Favorite project evAr.
Creative writing (a 200 level english class) - Yeah, I'd take that one again.
Poetry (the class right after creative writing) - SORTA fun. Sorta pretentious. But the class was filled with whores. I was one of 2 guys.
Geology 101 - rocks for jocks. It was very easy and very interesting. That rarely happens together.
Art history - we sat and looked at paintings every class. It was wonderful. I understand many people had problems with the tests, naming title and artist when given a photo of a painting, but my mind works that way.

My favorite classes in college were Calc 1, 2, and 3. That was due to the amazing professor that taught all of them. In fact, all of the classes in my list were made better because of amazing profs. My calc prof and my myth prof were my 2 favorites in my many years of college.

Oh, Project Management was kinda fun too.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
however, my job does not satisfy me intellectually at all, i just sit around on the internet for 6-8 hours a day.

THIS is a problem. And a college course or 20 will probably not solve it.

I've had this problem for years myself. I've only been satisfied recently. I get to design gauges and then make them with my hands. THAT satisfies both my design brain and my tinkering brain. The more I do it, the more satisfying it is.

I still have my day job. Adding on the hours to produce gauges makes for some looong work days at times. But *damn* is it satisfying. I don't know what will come of it other than a little extra money in my bank and some happy Miata drivers around the globe, but I sure am enjoying it.

To satisfy your intellect, you might have to open yourself up to the possibility of creating your own job.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
What do you enjoy doing? What scratches that inner itch? What do you really wish your current job had in it? For me, the making-something-with-my-hands factor is huge. Holding something that I worked on. I don't get that much in my day job.

It's not so much getting paid for your skills and marketing them, but just identifying those skills and then using them. If you're good at whatever it is, you'll have no problem finding someone to pay you for them.

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only thing i really enjoy doing that i think someone would pay for would be a detailing service. i love how good a car looks after a fresh extensive detail and paint correction, and that would give me a nice sense of pride.

the only thing i can imagine MAKING miatawise would be NB door cards because everyone is failing to produce them after saying they will work on them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the only thing i really enjoy doing that i think someone would pay for would be a detailing service. i love how good a car looks after a fresh extensive detail and paint correction, and that would give me a nice sense of pride.

the only thing i can imagine MAKING miatawise would be NB door cards because everyone is failing to produce them after saying they will work on them.
I will be your first customer...if you make NA door cards. d:

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
Since you like cars... why not a shop class? You get access to cool tooling machines, and get to build awesome things. :D

Psych classes are always fun (I'm biased... Cog. psych major), and I think there is something to be said for the basic management/ business classes. Not the most fun, but you'll learn a lot.

It's good to see that you WANT to learn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts