ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my car up for sale now for about 7 months. I honestly cant remember the amount of flakers ive had already. Within the past month though, its truley been ridiculous. Literally every week ive had at least 2 people call me saying that they had the money and were deadset on buying my car. Then, nothing happens. I either get no phone call back, or they dont answer their phones. Only one guy was at least curteous enough to call me and tell me he wasnt getting the car after he swore up and down, made me turn away another guy who surley had cash, and begged me to sell it to him. Im so tired of it already. Ive got so many stories its nuts. So tell me, whats your "flaker" story?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I had a station wagon with gold hubcaps. I parked it in a mexican neighorhood, I sold it in two days for my asking price.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thats strange, I sold my S/Ced 95 a few months ago for 11K and with 97,000 miles on it and out of the 2 or 3 people that called, one bought it. He came all the way from Canada to SoCal too. Of course, I didnt actually plan on anyone buying it for that price and now I really regret selling it. :(

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I do get a lot of flaky would-be tenants.. i think anytime you start talking large sums of money, you get lots of flakers. :(

·
4,436 Posts
One thing you can do is to require a deposit to hold the car - and if they flake, you keep the $$$. Of course, you may not be getting to this step to beginn with in terms of a car sale....but money talks.

You would have a better chance on miata.net or your local autotrader.com or cars.com. Ebay and craigs is just an outlet for flakers (most of the time) with high priced items.

Also SpeedChoppy just sold his Miata for over $20K - it would be interesting to see if his sale went through.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
geez you guys are finding the right people at the right time i guess. Ive told everyone that id like a deposit. It never gets to me. Just alot of b.s. artists. Im not asking alot for my car in the first place. Hell, i just got a 1200 dollar paint job and my asking price never went up. I dont know what the hell is going on anymore.

·
Registered
262 Posts
no, i hear you.
Trying to sell a modified car is a pain in the ass.

When i tried to sell my MX6 a while back, i got the following motley crew of idiots that attempted to buy my car.

1.) I got no less than a half dozen people who made appointments to come see the car and didn't show up. No call. No nothing. Just me hanging around all day waiting for someone to show.

2.) I had one guy from Las Vegas who lowballed the hell out of me, insinuated that i did the car all wrong and that it would have to be done all over again , and then had his wife call me later asking if i would mind driving the car out to see him, since he was on a business trip nearby.........

in WASHINGTON, DC.

Yeah, D.C. is just an afternoon drive from friggin LOUISIANA! Nice to see i've found someone who has no concept of money, time, decency, or distance all wrapped into one idiot.

3.) Three kids that all said they were going to buy it, but later called and told me their parents wouldn't let them. I say "kids", but the youngest of this group was 22.

4.) One guy that went so far as to put a deposit down on the car (nonrefundable). He called me about a month later to say that his wallet was stolen (the story was too contrived to be even remotely believable) and that he would need like another two months to be able to pay for it. Thankfully, i figured that moron would do that to me, so i had him sign a contract saying he had 30 days from the contract to pay up, or the car goes up for sale again.

And it did. So I guess I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn, im feeling a little better now lol. Honestly guys, do you think 12k obo is asking too much for my car?

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
I thought it was 11K obo or 6k plus nice tradeable miata.

All I have to say is with a car that nice, you want to make sure it goes to someone who isnt a total moron. and no 12k isnt too much to ask, but most people are reluctent to buy an older car that has been modded no matter how reliable or professional the job was done.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
geez you guys are finding the right people at the right time i guess. Ive told everyone that id like a deposit. It never gets to me. Just alot of b.s. artists. Im not asking alot for my car in the first place. Hell, i just got a 1200 dollar paint job and my asking price never went up. I dont know what the hell is going on anymore.

Its fate man, your car loves you so much its scaring off all your buyers! :twisted: Why the heck are you selling it anyhow?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
" thought it was 11K obo or 6k plus nice tradeable miata."

Yes but its got a new purdy paint job haha :) Still 11k for you lol

That what alot of people have said Phat. I really just want to move on to my n/a project already. I got everything planed out and ive been dying to start it already. When that car is done, itll be just as nice, if not nicer then what I have now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess I got lucky.
I sold my 92' corolla to the first guy on craigslist. He lived 1.8 miles away from me. Bought it cash, at my asking price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had one a-hole flake on buying my 87 rx-7. Came to look at my car for about an hour and even drove it. Then told me he was going to go to the bank to get the money after we finally settled on a price. I waited for four hours for that jerk to come back and never did...ugh I HATE flakers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think your asking price is to low.but its not the right time to sell a convertible or motorcycle now.but a good time to buy.i had kids coming to see if they could drive stick when i sold my car.others would cruise around in it saying they where going to buy it and i guarantee they diddnt have half the money and then would try to trade something.i wouldnt let you beutiful piece go for anthing less,look at the used car section at flying miata.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have sold about a zillion cars. From my POV youre dealing with several factors...

Modded cars always bring out the "flakes", often the younger crowd tends to prefer these cars and are by far the most 'flaky'. This type of car tends to bring out alot of 'wannabes' who have not enough $$ for their tastes, or who's mommies wont let them buy.

Modded cars are difficult to sell...the correct buyer must be sought out...and this takes time.
Experienced sellers are better at this 'game' and at recognizing the right buyer.

Your price is high IMHO, also problematic when selling. You may get your price but it will most likely take more time.

"Holding" the car for ANYONE who has not handed you a cash deposit is ALWAYS a BAD idea. As already stated first to arrive with cash gets the car...always make that clear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts