ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked this jem up today from a friend who got tired of her nickle and diming him to death, I picked her up for 550.00 a 1990 NA. The odometer says 230k miles, but "true" miles are unkown, according to the owner before my friend the engine was rebuilt. Which I think is a bunch of bull..

Well here she is as she came into my possession (shitty cell pics)

Shes my second miata, the 1st one I kinda rushed what I had planned. And now shes my DD so I can really do what I wanted to her. So this car was the perfect candidate.

Shes a parts car/project, I'm going to use her to "complete" my current miata, and then use the shell and the as the platform for my drift build.

Immediate plans are
-Pull engine/trans
-Clean engine bay
-Wire tuck
-body work
-paint
-Strip interior
-A/C delete

Just a bunch of stuff that won't cost me much if anything at all.

Eventually she'll end up with
1.8/t
coilovers
cage
racing seat
harness
LSD
modified knuckles

and a bunch of other goodies I'd like to get.

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
500 bones cant go wrong. nice pick up!
YEA! Got the friend discount because everytime this car had a problem I would help (do all the work) him get her going again. Then he had enough and took my offer!

Still diagnosing what exactly might be wrong with the engine. Based on the help from fellow clubroadster members, and my manual its:
-valves seals
-BHG
-Rings

None I'm looking forward to, so the engine is going to be a back up parts engine for my current miata

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't be silver for long, its either going back to its original color (mariner blue) or its getting the flat black treatment.

The progress will be starting sometime this week, then engine and stuff should be coming out within the next weekend or too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Silver (like my silver 2001) has one benefit: it reflects heat very well. You cannot say that for mariner blue or black. Since you are in Florida, look no further - you have the correct colour, even though i would prefer blue aesthetically, myself. I also have a blue Suzuki Esteem wagon that does all the donkey work of carrying cargo and in the summer, all the blue metal is blazing hot whereas i can hold my hand on the silver Miata without any discomfort.

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver (like my silver 2001) has one benefit: it reflects heat very well. You cannot say that for mariner blue or black. Since you are in Florida, look no further - you have the correct colour, even though i would prefer blue aesthetically, myself. I also have a blue Suzuki Esteem wagon that does all the donkey work of carrying cargo and in the summer, all the blue metal is blazing hot whereas i can hold my hand on the silver Miata without any discomfort.
Eh not to worried about how hot the paint makes the car, shes going to be my drift car. So it's just w.e I'm feeling when I get to the store to pick up the paint.

Hoping to get started on gutting the interior tomorrow after work, and getting everything ready to pull the engine this up coming weekend!

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today-

Took the panel the separated the trunk from the cabin off the project car, cleaned off all the insulation. Cleaned as much rust off that I could. Sanded and painted it with chassis paint, so that it wouldn't rust anymore. And switched all the carpeting from behind the seats and parcel shelf to my DD

I all I have is some really crappy cell pics, but I'll be borrowing a camera from a friend for awhile.

I'll be pulling the engine/trans/drivetrain out this weekend, and hopefully be getting started on cleaning the bay and getting everything ready for the tuck..

Pics soon!

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the motor and transmission pulled today with the help of my buddy Oliver, he took the pics for me on his phone since I couldn't get ahold of a camera.

But didn't run into any problems at all really, and only took up about 3-4 hours once we got the ball rolling.

I sprayed down the engine bay real fast with degreaser to help break everything up for tomorrow.

Plans are
- Pull diff/axles
- Start moving wires around for tuck
- Clean the engine bay more

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And before anyone says anything, the ricer tail lights are going to be swapped out for some OE ones.

And the red miata is also mines, its the DD for now the hoods up because I needed the front hook off the block so I could get the other engine out.

build cost so far:
Car- 550
Engine degreaser- 5.15 (buy 1 get 1 free)
Gloves- 10.XX
Tape (for lables) - 5.XX

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck getting that bay clean. I am tackling a similar color bay covered with filth since 90. IMO some red vinyl or candy red paint on those tails would make them look good...at least just to **** around with.
Nah, not really going to waste the time on them. I'm eventually going to get the GV tail light kit for the DD. And the OE tail light will be switched over to this car.

Are you doing a tuck as well? If so, pics? Cause I'm kinda going at it blind, I've read some of the NA wire tuck thread. But I've seem more finished pics than I have "how to" pics with instructions.

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warning:
More shitty Cellphone pics

So after about 20 minutes this morning I ended up with this, then had to start doing some errands.

Came back and got some more done

Lost my 4" extension and 10mm socket in this convenient 1.5" hole. Ended up fishing for it with a little hook for like 15 min before I rescued it!

Then got back to work

Trying to be as organized as possible so when I got to put everything together I'm not running around with my head up my ass cause I lost everything.

My home make lehigh style work station

So far all the **** thats been deleted
- Radiator over flow
- Washer fluid container
- Charcoal canister

·
<3's ClubRoadster.
1,205 Posts
Your off to great start for sure ... looks just like what i did with mine. Just take your time , especially with the engine bay stuff. Sometimes you will want to rush through to jump onto the next task , but trust me ... its better to get it done right the first time.

Its a shame your so far away or ide let you pick up the motor out of my car - no smoke or anything ... would be a perfect canidate to drop right in especially since i replaced every seal on it!

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys!

Yea I'm taking my time with this car, it's not my DD so there's no rush at all to get her on the road.

No pics from today
But I didn't get much done, cleaned up the driver side of the bay a little. But won't be able to pull the harness through the fire wall until I get the dash taken out.

A/c has been discharged, So I also picked up from line wrenched for that, and so I can start taking all the break lines/booster/clutch lines out.

Then just cleaning off some surface rust, prime, then paint.

Any suggestions on colors for the bay? The car is probably going back to its original color, mariner blue. But I want to paint the bay a different color. Something light so it's easy to spot if there's a leak anywhere.

·
Wait wut?!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I did some work today, got a late start due to some rain early this morning. But I'm more than happy with the progress!

How shes started out this morning around 12pm

My friend didn't do a very good job cleaning her while he had ownership, and I also find a nice present hidden behind the dash.

Got to this point around 2pm, after a few small breaks too

After gettting all the carpet out, I found some rust that doesn't look like it's eaten to far into the floor. I'll find out more about that either tomorrow, or next weekend.
*Fingers crossed*

BHF + Flathead screwdriver= Best friend

Got the harness pulled through on both the driver and passenger side. Along with getting the brake booster, and clutch master out of the bay.

Which led to the cabin looking like this.

And that was all the progress for the day. Oh and this is what my yard looked liked all day :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking forward to following your build because mine is going to look the exact same later this week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts