ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this will be my third miata in 2 years and my twelfth car in 8 years. I recently sold my 96 NA8 because I wanted something in better shape that i wouldn't have to worry about emissions. I also just sold my 06 NC so I wouldn't have a payment. I've been dealing with no car for a bit over a month and yesterday I finally bought a Red 1990 NA6 Miata, for $3k, that I will be picking up tomorrow. Its in great condition for 177k on it and being 20+ years old. It has minor rust and chips here and there but looks mint in pictures and drives like it too. Needs nothing new on it but some touch up paint, but I will probably be replacing half the parts on the car anyway.

Teaser pic of the car:

Current Non-OEM Parts:
-NGK Spark Plug Wires
-NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
-Tokico Illumina Shocks
-ISC Racing 1.5" Top Hats
-7" 400lb/in Front 275lb/in Rear Eibach Springs
-SuperMiata Sway Bar End Links
-4.1 Torsen Diff Rear End
-(Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top Single Diagonal) HDHCHTSD Roll Bar

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you got rid of that NC! :)
Seems like a good start, for a header I suggest the stainless steel Raceland ($159, shipped fast and good welds)
If you don't wanna spend on the real GV lip, TougeRun makes a great poly replica.
Haha.. thanks XD I'm just happy I don't have to put 93 into a car any more.

I'm still debating if I want to spend the money on a a Jackson Racing header or a cheaper one like the Raceland, either way its not on the top of my list.

I was just going to get the rspeed.net GV front & R rear lip package, seemed like the most sensible thing to do.

I'm super excited to pick up the miata this afternoon! I just have to stop at the DMV first and wait on line again, after 2hrs yesterday :scream:, and register the car. Apparently I was about $100 short for all the BS fees I forgot about.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I picked up the car and all was well till after the hour drive home. My lovely miata shudders into first gear from a stop once the transmission is hot/ warm. Car drives perfectly fine when cold so this is going to be my first big challenge it appears. Also I'm getting horrid heat soak and the trans is making a juddering sound the hotter it gets, I'm thinking it may be the flywheel. I'm getting some help from the local miata club so hopefully I'll have this fixed shortly. To bad I wont have the money to fix it for a few weeks, gotta pay them bills first.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well so far nothing seems to be leaking and I wasn't able to get the transmission fill plug out so I hit it with some PB Blaster and I'll crack it open tomorrow to check the fluid level. I have a strong feeling I'm going to just need a new flywheel and clutch and I'll probably replace the seals too while the transmission is cracked open.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well something is definitely up with the clutch, I'm not to worried about it at the moment since I've figured out how to deal with it. If the clutch doesn't go I will most likely be replacing the suspension or add a rollbar. My shocks are starting to cause uneven wear so I think I'm better off with the suspension first, even though safety first, lol.

The horrible heat soak I'm having is from my shifter cover boot being missing and no insulation, so I'll be ordering that tonight.

It rained today so I'll have pictures tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have some good news, my clutch isn't as bad with jerking into first from a stop after burning the clutch a few times. Yes, I know it sounds like the worst idea ever but it was really annoying me and I read some people had luck with burning the clutch when it was glazed over. It still judders a little if I go to quickly but I have a feeling that is due to other things like my suspension that is on its way out. I also found out from the seller that the shifter needs to be replaced. So once I have the cash in a few weeks I'll be replacing the suspension and shifter and probably do a transmission fluid change.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to post some picture in this bitch, I've been trying to sell my Canon 40D, so I haven't taken any pics yet. Looks like I've had no takers yet so I may just break her out and take some pictures after a good wash and wax on the miata.

As far as the issue with taking off after driving her for a few min, nothing has changed. I do know my rear struts are definitely blown and hoping replacing the suspension will fix that. I can't decided between opting for cheap Megan EZ Streets or spending the extra $330 and getting some BC's since I'll be daily driving the car in the winter. I'm not looking to get slammed but don't want to waste $600 on something I may regret in a year. The only real upside is that it'll give me extra money for the FM Butterfly Brace and Rails I need.

Other than that my exhaust rattles horribly and is starting to get on my nerves, but there are other things I would rather spend the money on for my baby.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have some pictures of all the work I've been doing on the car since I've got it. Lets see, I've replaced the shifter boot, added insulation, replaced the starter, the wires, and plugs. I still have to replace the fuel filter, fuel pump, coilovers, rattling muffler, clutch, flywheel, and I'm sure there is plenty more I will need to do. On top of that I want to add in a roll bar, some bucket seats, steering wheel, shift knob, header, high flow cat, Weapon R intake, MSPNP, catch can, front & rear lip, FM frame rails & butterfly brace, and a 1.8 4.3 rear end w/ tomei 2 way differential.

This caused so much heat to come into the cabin, sucked balls in the hot summer.

Replacing my dead starter, what a bitch that was:suicide:

The new starter installed, all nice and shiny like the rest of the engine bay.

Out with the old!

In with the NEW!!!

My uber clean engine bay :mrgreen: I just need to paint the valve cover.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had some bad news delivered to me a few weeks ago. So it turns out my miata is salvaged and I have to pay an extra $155 to get a title and go for a inspection to make sure the car is safe. I should have done the carfax but either way its clean and drives well other than the few issues.

On the upside I''m finally getting my suspension together. I ordered some Tokico Illumina's for a great deal of $459 shipped to my door. My next big decision is to go with FM springs or the OBX coilover sleeve kit. Right now I'm leaning towards the FM springs just on ease of installation. Luckily its my birthday Monday :icon_cheers: so hopefully I'll have enough cash to buy everything I need soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well so far I've officially ordered 4x 1.5" ISC Racing top hats and 4x 58mm medium(white) FCM bump stops. All I have left to do is get some springs, dust boots, and maybe some spring isolators. I can't decide between getting some 7" racing springs or some FM springs. The FM springs are really for street w/ occasional track at 6k/4k but may be too weak for the ride height I'm going for. If I go for racing springs its between 8k/6k and 7k/5k, with the 7k/5k being more of a middle of the road thing its hard to decide.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my ISC top hats arrived and I was able to make some real measurements, but wont be fully able to till I get my top and bottom spring isolators. Here are some pics of the setup so far:

I had to cut a small lip off the bushings ISC supplied

Called Tokico and found out these are just for shipping protection

Here is my measurement, turns out I have 6.75" and after isolators I'm projecting to have 6.25"-6.5". This means I'll probably be going with 6" springs in the front, idk about the rear still.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just got off the phone with Flyin' Miata and I must say they have some great customer service. I decided to order the Flyin' Miata springs instead of going with the Eibach 400/275 springs. I had waited three weeks to get springs from 1XRacing.com but I didn't hear from them till I opened a paypal claim and complained on their facebook. In the end they refunded my money that I won't get back till the 26th for some stupid reason. In the end I'd rather go with someplace that has great customer service. Ground Control, who carries Eibach springs, also has great service and had the springs in stock when I called, but with my Danny George discount the FM springs were about the same so I figured why not. I can't wait to get everything installed. All I'm waiting for are my springs and roll bar and I'll be good. I'm also looking forward to picking up a 1.8 NA8C 4.1 torsen diff that is reinforced in October from a local Miata club member.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my Flyin' Miata springs and Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top Single Diagonal roll bar :mrgreen: Its been raining for about 2 weeks on and off so unfortunately I haven't been able to get any work done, since I don't have a garage. Luckily today was sunny so I had some free time to cut some dead coils out of the FM springs and paint the springs / scratched shock. Also I ended up painting the ISC top hats gold, figured it would look better than primer grey and who doesn't love gold.

I only ended up cutting out 2 dead coils out of each spring. I was originally going to do 3 but I was worried it would be too much. I figured better to be safe then sorry and it turns out I will just have to compress the springs a small amount to get them to fit with the 1.5" ISC top hats. I also ended up having to buy a grinder and some cutting blades since a hack saw was going to take me 2hrs a spring, YAY for spending more money on more tools! :suicide:

Now I hopefully wont have to worry about my springs or shocks rusting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ur work is so precise and clean
Thank you, I've learned its the best way to do thing or you end up like one of my friends who keeps having issues because he slaps stuff together and doesn't care if its done right.

I may be installing my suspension today, I only have till the late afternoon till its suppose to rain again :cry2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed the suspension, boy was that a PIA. I broke a sway bar bolt and had to cut open my rear lower control arm to access the nut the broke free. Also I'm officially slammed, tucking tire and can't fit my jack under the car. I'm going to get new FM springs and use my OEM top hats and call it a day.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Installed the suspension, boy was that a PIA. I broke a sway bar bolt and had to cut open my rear lower control arm to access the nut the broke free. Also I'm officially slammed, tucking tire and can't fit my jack under the car. I'm going to get new FM springs and use my OEM top hats and call it a day.
i remember installing the rear shocks on a friends NA and the nut that bolts the shock to the lower control arm broke off the welds.... it was NOT fun trying to get it back on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts