ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so after much thought I was ready to install the greddy turbo kit I pieced togehter then in the future install a halteck stand alone ecu and a larger turbo and maybe some nos.
My RX7 has a huge turbo and a 2 rotor cosmo engine so it goes without saying in my life "if it's a 2 seater it better be a tire eater". LOL
So this was all fine and nice but then I started to consider the clutter under the hood and the power output for it. I'm all about a clean and dustom engine bay so I can't roll with a dirty engine bay unless it's bone stock. Then who cares you don't pop ur hood for anyone anyhow.
Well, getting ready to install the turbo kit this week I have been looking on line at V8 swaps for the miata. I'm 97% sold on buying a ford 289 or a 302 and starting this massive project. I mean think about it 300hp stock, carburated to eliminate wiring mayhem, and way to much power on a small chassis. Can it get any better?
No I'm not a drag freak that only likes to go fast in a straight line. I alreayd have coilover dampers on my car, I know I need a big brake kit next to be safe. I've reviewed dozens of websites and write ups so far on this.
Unless anyone can raise a good point on why I shouldn't do the swap please speak up.
Keep in mind I already know I need to replace the tranny, and rear end as well as weld in a custom tranny mount/crossmember.

So start with it. Let's hear some opinions.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not her to pull youback but give you a push...

Go with the 5.0. Just get the Ford Motorsports aluminium block and head to save weight over the front wheels. BTW a S/C 302 would be biblically crazy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Doesn't the Cosmo have a 20B which is a 3 rotor? I would put the 20B in the roadster. I'm guessing you haven't seen the video of the 20B hachi with 600 ps and 600 ft/tq. Ridiculously fast. Honestly I'm not a big fan of dropping a V8 in it? If you are gonna do something like that drop in a new V6 like a VQ35 from a 350Z. It's got the same amount of power, but much lighter, sounds nice as hell, and nobody else has done it yet. That would definately be something. As far as having a clean bay the VQ35 has that nice cover that makes it super clean and you can paint it any color.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would just be worried about the weight throwing off the beautiful balance of the Miata.

Other than that, you've got a great point that a carburated motor wouldnt have to involve any wiring work. Nice!

I would be more interested in a VQ swap though, that would be rad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I would most definitely go for an aluminum block for that exact reason, its lighter. As for supercharged, I gave it a thought but probably couldn't afford to get the power to the ground. LOL. Actually I don't think the power ever would get to the ground.
I know the balance would be off with a V8 but who cares??. I'm radical and I want to do something you don't see all that often on the streets. The cosmo actually comes with a 2 rotor 13b, the 3 rotor version was made in very limited edition. All the 2 rotor cosmo cars came with automatic tranny so the motors are almost always in pristine condition, which was another main reason that I made it my choice over any other.
I thought about putting a rotary in the miata, I've owned and torn apart over 16 RX7's in just the past 5 or so years. The problem with the rotary is that it doesn't make nice power or torque until its over 4k RPM. Well that can't be said for a V8. There is gobs of power under 5k. I miss the muscle car feel of a V8, I've always wanted a Shelby cobra, and I like cruising at 75mph at 2k RPM.....haha
As for the Vq swap, that would be way out of budget. I don't like the idea of having a few hundred wires still running in my car and an engine cover to top it off, I want to show off my swap not cover it up. I have V8 friends so I know I could do this up on a decent budget. Also I don't think I want to deal with being the first to do a swap where the gremlins and terror have not yet been seen by another. I'm not that brave of a pioneer. LMAO.
I think a stock 5.0, aluminum block of course, with a carb, headers, and a mild street cam will do more than the job requested. After all I still need to put in a T5 tranny, and get a custom driveshaft and a complete custom rear end. It won't be cheap but the end result will surely give me more satisfation than the most Xpensive call girl in Vegas. hahaha.
hopefully I can get this all done by Summer 07.
We'll see.
Has anyone here driven a V8 miata???
Anybody have one that can take me on a spin around the block so I know what to expect??

·
4,296 Posts
Doesn't the Cosmo have a 20B which is a 3 rotor? I would put the 20B in the roadster. I'm guessing you haven't seen the video of the 20B hachi with 600 ps and 600 ft/tq. Ridiculously fast. Honestly I'm not a big fan of dropping a V8 in it? If you are gonna do something like that drop in a new V6 like a VQ35 from a 350Z. It's got the same amount of power, but much lighter, sounds nice as hell, and nobody else has done it yet. That would definately be something. As far as having a clean bay the VQ35 has that nice cover that makes it super clean and you can paint it any color.
do you have that vid of the 20b hachi. i have been trying to find it again, or can you link us.
sorry for the off topic.
o and i wouldnt go with the v8 cause of balance.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If done correctly, and all aluminum V8 swapped into a Miata only changes the overall weight of the car by about 50lbs, so balance wouldn't really be affected.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a link for the AE86 with the 3 rotor but I've seen it a dozen times on streetfire.net. Try searching on there for it.
I know the balance of the miata will be slightly off with a V8 under the hood, even though it will be all aluminum. But that's not really my concern. I want something wild and not common. Everyone can put on a greddy turbo kit or shoot some nos but how many of you are actually going to stop and dump the money into it and swap a V8??
I want something crazy and appreciated. I think the V8 is the way to go. I'm just worried about getting the power to the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts