ClubRoadster.net banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice progress! How did the car feel after adding all that bracing?
It is a minor change but over bumps the car is more stable and the steering feels more direct.

You pressed out the upper ball joints? I don't know how I feel about pressing a new one and tack welding it. I ended up grabbing new upper control arms from rockauto.
The new ones had to be pressed in with a machine press (bent my vice trying to do it myself) so they are pretty tight as it is. On top of that I put 2 tack welds on each one, they are not going anywhere. These also have a snap ring which I think acts as a safety.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got all the suspension hung today.

Install went pretty smooth, so much grease everywhere thou. UGH! All new bushings travel is nice and smooth.

I did have to clearance the car in the rear, for these paco motorsports arms to have full range of travel. The arms where a bit disappointing, they come with a crinkle coat which started flaking off, at least it they have black paint underneath. I am also pretty sure one of the sleeves was welded on a bit "off". They come with crappy non-shouldered bolts too, the bolt that goes through the upright needs to be a bit longer. Will have to see if I can find something nicer.

Got the garage start brace on too, just need some hardware I have coming in the mail to show up.

Next up will be swapping out the open diff and 5 speed I have for a MSM diff and MSM 6spd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

So my front pads where almost done and the old brakes are pretty ugly looking also. Found a good deal on these and decided to go for it.

Also picked up some brake duct baking plates to go along with the other aero mods I am doing.

The willwoods barely fit very close.

Can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dang almost a month since I updated this.

I finally got to drive it today, but not very far/fast. The rear brakes where dragging and apparently leaking somewhat also. That is what I get for not buying new crush washers first go round. The car drives over bumps/uneven roads so much better with the new shocks but I did not get to drive it for long enough to get any feel for it above that. Still on a tape measure alignment until I can get it on a rack soon.

Not much else so I will just drop some teaser pics here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Very nice. 2 questions... where did you get the hardware for the wing? Will it happily adjust with hard mounts at the leading edge?
The hex braces are from Wehrs Machine, used the same ones on the splitter also. The ones on the front of the wing where bent in a sheet metal brake and polished.

I did not set it up to be adjustable. We almost built it with a hinge so I could swap in shorter rods but at the end of the day I decided I would be too lazy to mess with it. So non adjustable it is...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Still some progress. I got to take the car on a test drive not long ago and a few things became clear. First the 245s where not going to clear the firewall up front, just too much rub for me to be ok with. 2nd my AC had finally died after having a leak from the compressor for more than a year.

So first things first I got a shorter/smaller tire. Going to try 225 R1R up front, probably end up running these on all 4 corners but for now going to try and keep the 245 out back.

After that I picked up a new compressor, condenser and dryer. (Dryer turned out to be wrong btw, make sure you get one to match whatever condenser you use the brackets vary.)

The kit I got came with a new expansion valve, so I needed to pull the evap box. Luckily my car has no air bag so it made the job fairly easy. I even drilled a access hole for the top bolt on the box.

(Behind airbag cover)

When I pulled the evap I found this hot mess. Full of gunk and actually had a leak also, good thing I had already got another evap after reading other threads and seeing how nasty they look. So glad I took the time to do this step would have bit me in the ass for sure.

Got all they back together with new O-rings and pulled a vacuum on it so far so good, but I figured no point and taking the radiator out without slapping something newer/better in there.

So I ordered a Yanoka Radiator and Fan setup. Just showed up today, going to test fit it tomorrow and see about splicing wires. Then I can test run the car to charge the a/c system.

Other than that the side skirts are all done.

Last bit of aero will be building canards for the front spliter to direct airflow around the front of the tires.

I have decided to take the car to Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon late September so am planning to speed up the progress. May even try to go to Miata at Hallet depending on how things go. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
So the car is almost finished, actually drove it for a decent bit today but it has to go for alignment before I can really try it out in the turns.

The 6 speed was a great upgrade, really happy with the gearing now. Also the fans worked out great so far, had the car idling for 40+ mins while messing with AC and checking a few things and car never went over 205.

So the last bit of aero to finish up was the front spats and 2 more brackets to help side to side movement of the splitter.

The worst part about doing these is the edge of the Miata bumper is very loose/wobbly. So with the brackets in the back and bolting it all together on the flare it will be solid and not move around. This car is incredibly close on tire fitment so the bumper moving even just a little would have been a issue.

Had to work the hell out of the firewall to get good clearance, drove the car a decent amount and no more rubbing upfront other than parking lot speeds.

Should have better pics next weekend. Alignment Friday, work on rear wheel tubs Saturday, and HOPEFULLY a autox Sunday to give the car a shakedown.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So Friday it went for alignment which turned out ok after some work. Was able to hit near the camber numbers I wanted and after working around the eccentrics in the back for awhile was able to get toe setup properly.

Friday night it went to the body shop to close up the rear quarter panels. Cut out a little more so now the tops of the wheel wells are flat all the way to the edge, no more lip or dip down.

Flattened out the flaps and roughed them up so the panel bond will adhere.

After that bent them up and riveted them down.

After the panel bond had time to setup we covered it with seam seal, also did the inside of the wheel well some but I expect it to get rubbed back off.

Other than that I had the car weighted, without driver, half a tank of fuel and trunk with roadside equipment/some tools it is right at 2380. About what I guessed would like to lose 200-300lbs, but that may be a stretch since I want to keep a/c, stereo, power windows. Planning to do a different exhaust which will save a little, when it goes for paint light weight top with a lexan rear window, and mirrors. Not sure where else I can easily shave some pounds.

"Finished" pics coming soon, set off for road trip to Tail of the Dragon on Friday. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well the car survived the Dragon! One of the best roads I have ever been on, the car handled it very well. Felt very fast with more grip than I knew what to do with.

Pics by Killboy

Pic by 129slayer

I did break a ball joint that either was not torqued to spec/backed off/or was missing a codder pin. So I had to buy some stock ball joints to make it home on, this also killed my alignment and subsequently a pair of tires. But I made it home in one piece so all good. Luckily it broke on a straight and didn't hurt anything on the car but a barrel of one of the rims. (I bought 5 so I still have a backup, but the damage is cosmetic.)

Today I ordered another set of 2 degree ball joints and some alignment bolts. Should have it fixed up in no time.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts