ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm baaaaaaaack!(1994 R-Package Build)

So after I sold my previous 1994 NA8 Base Model I knew I'd eventually get another Miata. That car to this day had always been the car that I had the most fun driving and learned the most in. I took a hiatus from roadsters and went from that 94 NA8, to a 1973 Toyota Celica(have an off and on build thread on here about that one), then got married and sold that shortly after to get a more family oriented car, a 2000 E39 M-Sport(of course it still had to be fun, come on guys aha). Fast forward to to present day and I've since sold the beamer, bought my wife a 2016 Hyundai Sonata and shortly after started searching for a fun toy to commute in and build(aka MX-5!).

So after searching high and low and checking out a few subpar cars on Craigslist, I narrowed my search solely on another NA8, this time I wanted an M-Edition as they had all the power options(I'm getting older I guess) and came stock with LSD for some spirited fun on occasion. So finally after searching all over forums and Craigslist for a decent example I narrowed it down to a few that I'd started attempting to set up meetings to see, then something crazy happened while searching after I thought I had my mind set on one, a unicorn turned up, a unicorn in the form of a 1994 R-Package in good shape mechanically and cosmetically.

I instantly contact the seller and we actually discussed the car enough to come to a verbal agreement on pricing over the phone and a few days later I'm on a bus ride to LA to pick up and drive back the car. All checked out when viewing the car and the PO was very hospitable. I bought it and started the trek back home in it shortly after. It drove amazing the entire way back from LA to the bay area where I live.

I plan on building it into a reliable daily that will occasionally see the circuit, autocross, and the even more occasional mountain road. Some of my very near plans are a hardtop and a paint job with some plans in the near future including supercharging and aggressive cosmetics.

Enjoy the show.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh man, everyone on the Facebook SoCal Miata parts page gave the po of that car so much dodo because of the asking price of $5000 before. Glad that car went to someone that appreciates it. Cheers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small update.:haiguyths:

Haven't really gotten around to doing much with the car besides drive it but I have mapped out a semi-kinda-sorta gameplan for the build and have started ordering parts.

Here's the rundown so far. I've always had a build process that starts from the "ground up" basically meaning focused on the handling (tires, wheels, suspension), brakes, and chassis before doing any major power mods so that's going to be the general theme for the foreseeable future.

Sooo on that note I started with wheels and tires. Pretty quickly decided to stay with the Dunlop Star Spec ZII as they are a very predictable/gradual tire at the limits and the car came with a set wrapping the stock wheels and I instantly fell in love with their performance. I ordered a set in 205/50/15 and set out to look for a 15X8 wheel to mount them on.

Knew I wanted something lightweight when it came to the wheels and always had a thing for 949 Racing 6ULs so I ordered a set in 15X8 0ET. After about a week of waiting without getting any shipping confirmation from 949 I decided to reach out to them and get an update on my order. Long story short they ended up not having them available to ship and I'm impatient so I cancelled that order.

Started doing research and after weighting the thought of going with a set of 15X8 Enkei Apache II's(absolutely love the style and classic look) I decided I didn't want the extra weight and went back to the basics and ordered a set of Enkei RPF1's in 15X8 28ET from Good-win Racing. I actually had no idea that they made them in that size and offset so it didn't take much thought. Always have loved the RPF1 and it has such a timeless look it goes well with pretty much any car.

I decided that if I was going to go with more aggressive wheels and tires I'd want to match that with something a little more angry looking aesthetically. Always had my eye on different front lip options besides the typical R-Package Lip or even more typical Garage Vary lip that everyone and their mom has, so with that I decided to order an Autokonexion Front lip and I have plans for a front splitter to pair with it(help with the splitter is appreciated). Here's a picture of the AK lip for those who don't know.

That's that for now. Should have everything installed on the car by Sunday or Monday depending on how quickly I can find a reputable shop to mount and balance my tires to the new wheels, get a proper alignment, and paint/install the lip. If anyone is in the bay area and has recommendations for good shots for the services mentioned feel free to comment or PM me.

Next is brake upgrade(open to suggestions), suspension, and some chassis bracing/stiffening. Stay tuned.:haiguyths:

Side note. My clutch pedal snapped(yes, snapped!) on me on the way to work yesterday and boy is it a bitch to change that thing. I sourced a clutch pedal assembly the same day on Craigslist and started trying to remove my old one only to give up shortly after and just change only the pedal itself (still was a slight bitch). Why did Mazda make removing the clutch pedal assembly with difficult and how the hell does a clutch pedal just snap? The world will never know.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so AK is still alive? I was assuming they were out of business. Welcome back!
I ordered from their site and I have my lip so I'm assuming they are alive and well. I actually thought I'd heard they had gone out of business myself, guess not. Glad to be back, thanks.:hello kitty:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Can't go wrong with those wheels in that size. They should match especially well with the tires you got, too.

Suspension can make you love, or hate your car.. What's your proposed budget?
Are you on the stock r-package bilstein? Do they ride super harsh? lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't go wrong with those wheels in that size. They should match especially well with the tires you got, too.

Suspension can make you love, or hate your car.. What's your proposed budget?
Are you on the stock r-package bilstein? Do they ride super harsh? lol
On the stock suspension and yes it rides pretty harsh, especially on these not so great bay area roads/highways. I don't really have a set budget. I know I don't want to invest a lot more than $10,000 on modifications to this car so I guess we'll go with that. I plan on paying what I have to in order for the handling of this car to be top notch. I plan on Xida coilovers, more than likely get the "big grip kit" from 949 Racing. I'm unsure what I'm doing for brake upgrades yet, more than likely just upgrade the calipers and pads as I don't plan on making this a high HP build. We'll see what happens though. I'm open for suggestions in the braking department though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm surprised you were looking at such a wide range of wheels considering the significant weight difference between the Apaches and the RPF1s. Is unsprung weight not a huge consideration for you?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm surprised you were looking at such a wide range of wheels considering the significant weight difference between the Apaches and the RPF1s. Is unsprung weight not a huge consideration for you?
Unsprung weight is a consideration but to me it isn't the end all be all that it's made to be in the lightweight, low horsepower car community. Also, if I had gotten the Apache's those would've been my "winter" wheels(aka just for looks).

Glad I went with the RPF1s though. I love the look and how lightweight they are. I'm really(REALLY) surprised at how much of a difference I actually feel driving the car. The steering wheel is a lot lighter and the car just feels more responsive. I was skeptical of how much of an actual driving difference the lightweight wheels would make but I'm definitely a believer now.

PS: DIY'd the Autokonexion Front Lip and it turned out "okay."

Shitty picture but gets the point across.

PS: Here's a gas station picture for the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks good! That fitment is exactly how I'd do it.

Did you roll the fenders to get those fitting how you like 'em?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good! That fitment is exactly how I'd do it.

Did you roll the fenders to get those fitting how you like 'em?
I haven't rolled the fenders, yet, but I plan on doing it soon. Mind you I also haven't driven the car hard since I'm breaking in the new tires so I don't have much insight on if it will rub, etc etc. It has only rubbed once and that was at highway speeds going over a pretty significant dip in the road. At my height (stock r package height) I don't think I'll have much issues, but I know for sure once I get my suspension worked out I'll have to roll.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this **** happened about an hour ago...

Rear ended while waiting on a light by an old lady. Looks like it'll get salvaged out to me. What say you dear readers?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts