ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Small update guys.

So insurance got back to me with a pretty decent appraisal value of $6600 for my totaled car AND they don't want the car, so I'm going to(once again) start my hunt for another Miata and I will be listing this one for sale as is and selling it to the highest offer. I'll make an official "for sale" thread on here to give the CR community the first shake at it. FYI I will be keeping the wheels and the AK front lip but all else will be included in sale (Torsen Diff, good condition soft top, etc etc).

I'd say I definitely benefited in what first seemed like a shitty situation. Very blessed to have what I would call a favorable resolution to this and I'll be back to reboot this build thread with hopefully another well sorted Miata shortly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a hell of a deal! I couldn't comprehend on how someone could not see the car at a stoplight, lol, but glad it turned out better on your end

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay guys. If you're interested in either the wheel/tire setup or in buying the car for whichever devious reasons you would have I've posted them in the "for sale" thread separately.

Car runs and drives fine still and after removing the rear bumper the damage isn't nearly as bad as I first thought (well for being totaled). It actually looks pretty easily repairable.

I'm actually contemplating keeping it if I don't get any interest. Might attempt to make it a full time race car.... It's priced reasonably so we'll see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man that sucks. Was really liking the progress. If I were any closer than NY, I would take those wheels right off your hands. Good luck in your search for the next one!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Back in the game!

After a little bit over a year and a bunch of life changes in between I've rejoined the Roadster community!

94 M-Edition.

Not sure how quickly this "build" will take shape, but definitely going to stick to my approach of building from the ground up and keeping everything as quality as my budget allows.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
congrats and enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
congrats and enjoy the drive.
Thanks! I definitely have been!

Unfortunately my hardtop was stolen this morning right from my parking garage at my apartment complex. Was planning on ordering some anti-theft hardtop brackets but obviously didn't get the chance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh damn, that's a crap situation. I'm not in the SF area but best of luck man.
Thanks.

Man, I feel like SF is a hot spot for hardtop theft
Definitely is. I'm actually in San Jose which is typically one of the top car theft and vandalism cities in the country, but Bay Area in general has been bad for awhile now.

Don't understand how people can make a living stealing from people that work to buy what they have but karma is a bitch like they say. It all comes back around.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Slight update.

Installed my Autokonexion Front Lip that I previously had on my R Package. Definitely gives it more of a sporty look and a change from the normal GV Lip that most go with.

Also installed a SS Clutch line that I had to bypass literally all the hard lines and go straight from the Clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave to get to thread properly. Still need to route it better to keep it away from all the heat in the engine bay.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay, time to start taking this "build" a bit more serious.

After another little hiatus from the car, the birth of my first child(a healthy baby girl!), a new job, etc etc, I'm back to bore you guys some more.

Took the car on a VERY spirited drive in the mountains and realized after about 30min and a very weird brake peddle with nearly instant brake fade that I needed to upgrade my brake pads(because safety first kids).

So I decided on Carbotech XP10 pads as I've heard pretty much only great things about the company, the specific pads, and they fit my uses of this being more of a weekend warrior and only seeing occasional daily uses. Also flushed my entire braking system and put in fresh Motul 600 RBF(Racing Brake Fluid) to handle the added heat.

I bought a pre-bedded set of pads and so far I'm LOVING them. Mind you I haven't driven the car in anger yet so I'll give a more true review within the next few days once I make it to some roads I can stretch a little in.

ALSO picked up a second hand very lightly used set of Fat Cat Motorsports DIY Coilovers that have 500lb/in Front Springs and 400lb/in rears. I'm not sure about the spring rates being ideal for my uses but they're easy enough to change and after some research those rates aren't far off the 550lb/in(Front) and 450lb/in(Rear) on the very highly touted RS Aizawa NA6 Roadster. A car that was known for its great handling and did more than its share of mountain road driving.

While I was at it I picked up a Racing Beat Tubular Sway bar w/Racing Beat End Links AND should be picking up a lightly used set of Flyin' Miata Frame Rails on Friday.

Both the coilovers, sway bar, and frame rails should be installed within the next few days. I also plan to remove the stock rear sway bar. Then the car will be off to get an alignment and possibly corner balanced.

I'll report back with driving impressions after all is said and done.

Sorry for the LOOOOONG update.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Sounds like a nice selection of parts. I am a little confused on the coilovers...are they Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers(built, spec'd by Shaikh) or they revalved Bilsteins with sleeves, etc.?

Some say there is no difference but I'm not here to argue that point, just clarification. Either way should make the miata ride/handle much better. :)

P.S.-If they are Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers then depending on what series, etc. will determine how much you can change the spring rates and still be suitable to the valving, etc. The 2040 coilovers I had several years ago, iirc, Shaikh only recommended a 50-75lb spring change, up or down.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts