ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sounds like a nice selection of parts. I am a little confused on the coilovers...are they Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers(built, spec'd by Shaikh) or they revalved Bilsteins with sleeves, etc.?

Some say there is no difference but I'm not here to argue that point, just clarification. Either way should make the miata ride/handle much better. :)

P.S.-If they are Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers then depending on what series, etc. will determine how much you can change the spring rates and still be suitable to the valving, etc. The 2040 coilovers I had several years ago, iirc, Shaikh only recommended a 50-75lb spring change, up or down.
They are revalved Bilsteins with Sleeves and the work was done by FCM. Other than that I don't have much info on them other than the spring rates and that they were used for only 10k Miles before being removed during a partout.

These didn't cost me much as I was able to get a really good deal and my stock suspension is abysmal at this point(like go over a divet in the street and damn near crack all your teeth from how upset the car becomes) so I know these will be a good improvement if not a MAJOR improvement.

Depending on how dialed in they are and how the car drives with them will determine how long they stay on. I plan on going Xida at some point in the future regardless so these will more than get me by until then.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Damn, sorry to see the R-Package car get totaled, but glad you're back in the game. I dig that AK front lip, what material is it made from?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Damn, sorry to see the R-Package car get totaled, but glad you're back in the game. I dig that AK front lip, what material is it made from?
Thanks! I've always been a fan of it because it's different and imo looks just as good if not better than the usual alternatives.

If AK still sells it(they did 2ish years ago when I bought mine) you can get it in either Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass, or Carbon Kevlar(?) from what I remember. Mine is fiber glass because my car isn't and will never be a show car and I'm glad I went that route because it's trashed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
To add to the "build" I just picked up a Mazda Comp Clutch Type LSD(4.3 Final Gear) that I'll be removing my Torsen(4.1 Final Gear)(housing, halfshafts, and all) and fitting it up as soon as I have time.

Question for anyone with experience mating these to an NA8. Being these are originally for a NA6 do I have everything I need based on the picture below to make this work?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Also once I do get this all mated up and rolling I'll be posting my Torsen LSD and all associated parts(halfshafts, driveshaft, diff housing, etc) to get it mated to any NA6, NA8, or NB so you've been told CR family. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Parts will more than likely be removed and available by this time Sunday.:bouncin:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Question for anyone with experience mating these to an NA8. Being these are originally for a NA6 do I have everything I need based on the picture below to make this work?
Yes, everything you need. Speedo will be a little of but not much.
Great! Now the only thing I'm concerned with is my ABS. My NA8 being an M edition came standard with ABS. Is there a way for me to keep that working(maybe switching the CV joints) with the older halfshafts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Deciding to go with a different diff since it doesn't seem to look like I can maintain my factory ABS using this Mazda Comp diff unfortunately.

So the diff and everything else to get it mated up to any 90-05(excluding MSM) is going to be posted in the "For Sale" section.

Hoping it will go to someone that can use it!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Been doing a lot of little stuff.

In the past week;

-Front Fenders rolled with a teeny tiny pull to accommodate the new wheel/tire setup(rears will be rolled and possibly pulled soon).

-Derlin Door bushings installed(felt the difference immediately(less noise over deviations in the road and just more dialed in chassis). Highly recommend.

-5X Racing extended accelerator pedal. Jury still out as I'm getting used to the extra space the pedal takes up and have to adjust my braking to not hit the accel pedal. Definitely see the use for it though.

-Racing Beat Tubular Race Front Sway bar(and RB end links) installed. Instant improvement in steering response and feel. Front end feels a lot more planted and harder to upset. Need more seat time with this though as I just installed today. Can definitely say the grippy 225/45s were too much for the stock sway. This one, not at all.

Currently running no rear sway so I'll experiment with whether I need to run it or not based on my experience with and without with the big front sway.

More updates coming soon.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Interesting... I've been thinking about grabbing a set of the Garage Star door bushings, I've heard it's kinda a bitch to remove the old ones, how tough was it for you? I've always removed the rear sway on all my Miata's, interested to see what you think of it with the big front/no rear setup.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Damn, seeing clean NA's like yours makes me want to hurry up and finish my motor rebuild. I miss my stupid Miata.

What did you do with the RPF1's? Did you sell them and I missed it?
Either way, congrats on the baby girl, happy family and clean car. Looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Interesting... I've been thinking about grabbing a set of the Garage Star door bushings, I've heard it's kinda a bitch to remove the old ones, how tough was it for you? I've always removed the rear sway on all my Miata's, interested to see what you think of it with the big front/no rear setup.
It wasn't hard at all to remove the old bushings, the driver side literally just unbolted(use a deep head socket or you'll struggle getting to the bolts), the passenger side still had the original adhesive stuff so I unbolted it then pried it up with a flat head. Looked at the adhesive outline on both sides to line up the derlin bushings in the correct spot then left them hand tight until they were lined up to where the doors closed properly.

The process wasn't hard and only took about 10min(after doing it once it would take me maybe 3-5min to do it again).

Like I said, I would recommend them just in the alleviation of a lot of road noise and vibrations that were taken away since the install.

I went on another "spirited" drive through the mountains and definitely have a better feel for the car's performance and can say comfortably that it's performance potential with all I've done has gone up A LOT.

I definitely have a lot more control of under acceleration turn-in with just the throttle and feel have felt zero give(loss of traction) in the tires so far while driving.

I need to go to an autox or track day to really give you more than that as I don't yet feel comfortable pushing the limits of the car with all the changes I've made on the streets.

Damn, seeing clean NA's like yours makes me want to hurry up and finish my motor rebuild. I miss my stupid Miata.

What did you do with the RPF1's? Did you sell them and I missed it?
Either way, congrats on the baby girl, happy family and clean car. Looking forward to updates.
Thanks for the complements and kind words, but it definitely isn't THAT clean up close. It looks good from 10ft then you start noticing the little imperfections.

It will get there little by little but right now I'm more so focused on improving the performance then I'll get on cosmetics bit by bit.

I plan a complete respray at some point in a non-factory color.

RPF1s were sold locally shortly after the R was totaled.

Doing anything special with your engine rebuild?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
After a long hiatus I'm back with a pretty hefty update on the car.

Here's a brief flashback for those interested in what's been going on in the past 8 months with the car(skip this paragraph if you aren't).

So over the past 6 month I debated selling and keeping the car to the point that it was posted on here, FB, and Craigs, removed and then posted again, before I finally decided to keep it. Directly prior to deciding to keep it, I decided that if I were to keep it then, I wanted to start getting it closer to my final vision so cash would need to be ponied up. Then once all that was sorted, I kinda started going psycho with modding it.

Finally getting to today, this is how she sits;

Feel free to keep up with the progress of the car on Instagram @rs.ugoku

Hope you guys enjoy the progress. Feel free to ask any questions and give feedback.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do I spot a hardtop? Is it a new one or was it found?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts