ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its getting hot now and wen i get on my car it heats up fast. i have to turn both fans on to kind of bring it down. i took the thermostat out to so it would constantly flow but not fixing it. i was thinking radiator? water pump? i dont know. this sucks, i was supposed to hit horse theif on saturday. any suggestions would be appriciated #-o

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Do you have any more details about your car? You don't have a Garage entry detailing whether you have added forced induction, stock radiator vs. all aluminum, etc. When was the last time you drained the coolant, flushed the system with clean water, and refilled with 50/50 mix? When was the last time you replaced the radiator cap, water pump, accessory belt, etc.?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the motor is stock. every thing is stock. the coolent still looks good, havent flushed tho. i have added water weter tho. nothing has been replaced as far as pump, belts, radiator. the car only heats wen im on it.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
How many miles?

Cars tend to overheat because they either have blocked coolant passages in the radiator or inside the engine, poor system pressure (bad cap), or the water pump isn't circulating coolant (bad impeller, belt tension too loose, etc.)

I suggest you check those things listed above. The radiator cap is cheap to replace and is recommended every few years. If your car is due for a 60k mile service (aka timing belt) or if your car never had a major cooling system maintenance performed now would be the time to do so.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya car has 160,000 on it. its a na. my cap looks ok, cant hear and pressure coming out. im thinking about just picking up a koyo or some thing. if the belt was loose, wouldent it squeel?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Step 1: install new radiator cap. If this fixes the problem you're all set for now.

Is there lots of debris between the radiator and A/C condenser blocking airflow? If you don't have A/C are the fins on your radiator relatively straight? Do you have any coolant leaks? Is your exhaust spewing white smoke? When was the timing belt last done? If you don't know the history of the timing belt and you're still having overheating problems after replacing the radiator cap I would spend a bunch of time and money doing some preventative, curative, and overdue maintenance on the car which brings us to Step 2.

Step 2: replace the following items
  1. Timing belt
  2. Timing belt idler and tensioner pullies and adjustment spring
  3. Water pump
  4. t-stat
  5. Cam and crank seals
  6. Valve cover gasket
  7. CAS o-ring
  8. Radiator (how long do you want to gamble that your plastic end tanks will last?)
  9. You already replaced the radiator cap, right?
  10. All rubber hoses in cooling/heating system and little rubber cap for unused coolant passage on the back side of the head

Have fun!

·
Registered
105 Posts
my '91 was doing the same thing. i replaced the oem radiator cap with one with 12 psi and haven't had a problem for the past 3 years.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Speaking of radiator caps, stock is 0.9, where do you get 1.3?

86NA: Is there a puddle underneath your car? Waterpumps have a weep hole that leaks coolant when it shows sign of needed replacement, like mine was.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but dont u only have to replace the cap if it is loosing pressure?? i dont hear or see any steam

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also this might come into factor, im running big ass hella 550's in the air dam. would that cause to over heat?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Your cap could be bad without any evidence of steam leaking past the seal. The only way to know for sure is to have it pressure tested. Or just replace it - they're cheap. Yes, some people have reported cooling problems due to large fog/ driving lamps blocking airflow through the front grille. Take them out to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOOD NEWS! no more heating!!!! knock on wood. i took the lamps out, i figured out my fans wernt working because the temp sensor broke off on top of the thermostat, so i super glued it back down. now fans work!!!! thanks fo rthe help and lets keep it cool! =D>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts