Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad, too much attention leads to more thieves and high prices

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back from the tech day in O.C, I counted 6 modified miatas, 3 of them with a roll bar (and they weren't at the meet), and it got me thinking, "Will Miatas become a new fad with the fan-boys?". I also counted several other lowered imports slowing down on the freeway to check my car out, then revving on me to race. I didn't oblige. I would've 10 years ago with my 200hp CRX, but I guess I've grown up.

I guess I'm afraid my beloved miata will be the next "Civic" or "AE86", I.E high resale, high crime, high profile with cops. Right now, when my co-workers think my miata is a girly car or ghey, I just laugh it off because deep down inside I WANT them to think that.

Anyone feel differently or the same?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Sport Compact Car has been preaching the Miata gospel for years, it's starting to catch on.

Just in time for me to get mine.. ****.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Its good that the miata is getting more and more popular, but its also a good thing that almost all these people deep down are very roadster loyal. Thus, keeping the miata culture a very distinct and not fan-boyish --yet.

I'm going to have to agree with you that I also see the Miata becoming the new "hachiroku" (though there is competition with whatever the next "underground" import car is going to be ex: the Cressida).

As long as all fellow roadster owners, and also new owners, stay deeply loyal as its always been, roadster life will not be spoiled. : )

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd like to see the american aftermarket embrace the car a bit more... it would bring the price of performance parts down.... which may or may not be wonderful

I hate to say it... but it would be nice if companies like FM (who I trust to be the best in the business, and go to for all my performance stuff) had some competition... might be a good way to bring some of the high dollar items down in price a bit...

Overall, I think it is a good thing that Miata's are becoming more popular... Perhaps the already dedicated fanbase that we have will influence the market when it comes to our cars... perhaps the products that appear in the future will be better for it!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I`m kinda on the fence on this one.......I would like to see more of them, but not all riced out. All of us here seem to have the same tastes.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
airbrush, coming from the Honda camp myself, we also wanted people to "embrace" it early on to drive down costs, but it didn't happen. For example, my JDM B16a with tranny and ecu costs me $800 back in 1996. Try finding that price now. And if you look at prices for items such as a header or piston, it's still a more expensive part for a B16 then for a Ford 302. The only thing that is cheaper now then back then are APC clear lights. :p

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Sport Compact Car has been preaching the Miata gospel for years, it's starting to catch on.

Just in time for me to get mine.. ****.
Indeed. I'd like to see a little more support and a few more people, but not alot, nothing like how the honda community has become: overrun with fake parts and same stuff over and over, long before I even got into it. And I like being different from alot of people, it just makes me feel prideful like something is my look, rather than mine and 200 others'.

Oh yeah, and like the poll says, it would lead to thieves. **** THIEVES :evil:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
Eh...I don't care either way. People like my car, and so do I :)

That said, I seldom see any modified Miatae. Chances are they're driven by someone I know. I was actually flagged down on the highway by a guy in a 99Sport who recognized my car and screamed over a 80mph slipstream: "ARE YOU BRYAN?!"

Small world...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The NA always had a solid fan base, and now with the JDM trend (JDM was actually introduced in the early 90's) they are becoming popular again.

During the early 90's just about every souped up ride was JDM tuned. The ADM parts were scarce, and rice wasn't in. Then American tuning companies started to mass produce parts and it really got out of hand. Tam, I assume you would agree that your holy grail was a Mugen exhaust not a Flowmaster for you CRX.

To be honest with you guys, I don't really want the Miata to become like the Civic/Integra. I kinda digg the fact that the aftermarket parts are rare and scarce. Especially for the NB :lol: If theres a NB parked in every other lot, then nobody would want to check out the ride.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tam, I assume you would agree that your holy grail was a Mugen exhaust not a Flowmaster for you CRX.

YES! Mugen exhaust and the JDM panaramic glass top.

I must say that one reason that Hondas, S13s and hachis are so popular was the outright hp potential. I don't see the horsepower-whores as much in the miata community as i do in others, partly because it takes more money to make power with the wimpy Mazda B6, unless you go turblow. A lot of the Hondas guys are also N/A guys, and as far as I know, there is no JDM Mazda engine that swaps right in. Plus the Honda guys are (for the most part) mostly interested in straightline performance, whereas 100hp is enough to get me into trouble in the mountains.

Blah, the more I talk about it, the less paranoid I get.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Right now, when my co-workers think my miata is a girly car or ghey, I just laugh it off because deep down inside I WANT them to think that.
Hit.
The.
Nail.
On.
The.
HEAD!

Everytime someone says "girly car" I say a quiet thank you inside. It's that mentality that keeps us under the radar, allows us to modify our cars with relatively little backlash, keeps thieves (mostly) away, and keeps our insurance affordable.

Long live the Girly Car.

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
Right now, when my co-workers think my miata is a girly car or ghey, I just laugh it off because deep down inside I WANT them to think that.
Hit.
The.
Nail.
On.
The.
HEAD!

Everytime someone says "girly car" I say a quiet thank you inside. It's that mentality that keeps us under the radar, allows us to modify our cars with relatively little backlash, keeps thieves (mostly) away, and keeps our insurance affordable.

Long live the Girly Car.
+1 to that 8)

·
Registered
369 Posts
After I bought my Miata, 4 people I know bought one within the year.
Its a good and bad thing as people have mentioned but I dont think it will get to the level that some other cars are on.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I'm not bothered by seeing more modded Miatas... but I am bothered to see more ghetto- modded Miatas.

flat rattle can paint jobs, cheapie wheels, ebay wings, home-depot lips, ebay 'coil-overs'. Basically the worst trends from the Honda world. That bothers me more than any girlie comments :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts