ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Here's my situation:

Did some spirited driving on a really rough logging road today... this road to be exact:

Today it was EXTREMELY rough. Ridiculously rough. Combine that with less-than optimal shocks, and it was painful... but, I soldiered on. Maybe a mistake.

Anyways, about half the way through the run, on a very rough section, I clutched in to shift and... something was up. Pedal only had slight resistance at the bottom of the pedal travel, and would not disengage fully. Every shift, every clutch-in up until this exact one had been 100% perfect, from the beginning of my ownership of the car, starting a year ago. I've never had anything even hinting at a clutch issue with this car... it's been perfect. perfect pedal travel and take-up.

So, at this point, after stopping to check out the situation, I retraced the road to check for lost parts (none found), and drove home. I was able to slip the clutch, but not fully disengage it. Pumping the pedal doesn't help further disengage the clutch at all.

Now that I've had it home, I've peeled back the boot on the slave cyl, and there is no fluid leaks/loss of any kind, on the slave, the ground, or anywhere that I can find. Clutch fluid reservoir is at the same level it ever has been.

Tomorrow I will try bleeding it and poke around further as I have time.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but does this sound like a broken clutch fork? The fact that it *immediately* happened kinda makes me think it's not a fault of the hydraulic system.

I don't want to just throw parts at it, especially as a college student on a ramen budget, but I think I might just replace the master, at $20 from O'Reillys.

Also: One pertinent fact is that it has some type of performance clutch, though I am not sure of the details on it. Feels like a stronger pressure plate than stock, but I have not driven a stock miata to compare.

Thoughts? Are broken clutch forks common?

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Broken clutch forks are NOT common..it is a stamped steel piece that rides on a pivot ball inside the bellhousing and holds the throwout bearing

Clutch master is probably the issue...as long as you do not have leakage at the slave.

check to make sure the clutch rod is properly positioned

and stay off the logging roads...you are not driving a rally car!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By clutch rod, do you mean the rod coming out of the slave, that pushes on the fork? That is properly seated.

Linkage/rod in the pedal box looks to be alright as well, but I haven't tried adjusting it. (as I don't see how it could slip adjustment so far in a few seconds)

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Yes...that is the rod I was referring to

After watching the vid...it would not surprise me if you vibrated the fork off the pivot ball inside the bell housing...but that is a bit of a stretch. The spring clip holding it on is pretty tight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda what I was afraid of... it was vibrating ridiculously bad when I lost clutch power.

If it did indeed come off the pivot ball, would it be a complete loss of clutch control, or just partial? (As I can still slip the clutch a bit)

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
I see that you have cross posted on miata.net..and you are getting PLENTY of really good advice over there...go back and reread my original reply...clutch mast is probably where you should start....getting plenty of backup over on MNet for that also

·
My toilet water goes the other way.
2,313 Posts
Master and slave cylinder replacement is cheap and easy.

Do that first.

·
Registered
190 Posts
3rd that, Clutch slave and Master. Make sure you do both at the same time. Problem solved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I'll update this, for those who reference this later.

Ended up being the clutch pivot pin - sheared itself completely in half, from the wicked vibrations of the road. Not much for the clutch fork to pivot on, without that. ;)

(Don't mind the signature, they are from my blog.)

Also found out I have an ACT clutch while I was in there. Good to know, for when forced induction happens. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts