ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to import a JDM car specifically as parts car or race car?

I've heard all kinds of conflicting info on whether bond is needed, whether it will be impounded at the dock, whether there is a custom duty, or some even say the custom will chop the car up/disable the car before they let you have it, etc,etc. I've seen all manners of RHD cars rolling around. But everyone is so tight-lipped about how they got them in. Does anyone know the deinitive answer?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
best way to to higher an importer to bring one in. But there is a reason everyone is tight lipped. If words get out on how it is done, the loop holes will be closed...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,617 Posts
You might want to ask Kyle (freedomgli). I think he works in DOT, so might be able to at least find the info if he doesn't know offhand.

·
Registered
482 Posts
In fact, I think Kyle (freedomgli) had a little rant on here for exactly how it works. I suggest searching for posts by him with in the last month.

·
needs a wingman
592 Posts
as long as it's a car that's available here too, just swap the vin off the RHD car with one of an american car that's been totaled here! you'll have a salvage title, but it'd probably work. :-D

USER WARNING: it "MIGHT" work. try it at your own risk, and i cannot be responsible for you becoming someone's "sugarbitch".

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd like to get ahold of a RHD front clip for my car..... or an NB coupe.....

If I got a coupe over.... I could just swap the vin's from my car.... and make mine "dissapear"

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Exporting cars from Japan isn't the problem. The challenge lies in importing the vehicle to the usa and getting it 100% legally registered & insured for road use (e.g. compliant with all applicable federal and state laws). If you're willing to gamble and don't care about legality then do as you like. I've always said that if you have the money and know the right people you can legally drive whatever car you want on public roads in the usa.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exporting cars from Japan isn't the problem. The challenge lies in importing the vehicle to the usa and getting it 100% legally registered & insured for road use
What if I just import it as a parts car, and not try to register it? Can anyone do it, or do I still need a customs clearing agent? What about tariffs? Can a RO/RO be used?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Generally, in the UK, if you want an import as parts, get the exporter to supply it as front and rear clips. Its imported then as parts, not as a car, and might be taxed differently. You can then stuff more cars per container that way.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
A friend of mine has a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R, but it's registered as a 1979 Datsun..

The only way I know of buying a Japanese car is buying one used already in the US and not asking any questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How well do you know your mailman? They can get them with no problems because of the fact that most mailboxes are located on the right side of the car thus it would be for safty, & convience. Mark, a friend's dad. works the rural postal route, he bought a new right side drive 2002 White Subaru WRX STI Wagon to deliver mail in so he wouldnt have to sit in the middle of a bench seat Ford Ranger.

I was there when it arrived at his house, there was nothing in it but a drivers seat, center console, dash, and a steering wheel. The only carpet was directly under the seat and in the foot well and the headliner stopped just behind the seat.

The bad news is Travis (my friend) snuck it out to go racing, He "DRIFTED" right off the road, flipped it thrice, wrapped it around an oak tree where it caught on fire and roasted likd a big fluffy white marshmellow on a stick. The cops estimated his speed at over 100 MPH. He confided in me that the reason he "Lost it" was he was reading the spedo 120 MPH when the tires touched the grass.

To top all of that off, he was not covered on the insurance policy for that car so......... now there is a melted/rusted out right hand drive 2002 Subaru WRX STI Wagon sitting in the back yard and Travis is paying the note on it and will continue paying the note until Dec. 2007. #-o

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Sad story. There are several automakers that offer US certified RHD vehicles for rural postal carriers, most notably Subaru and Jeep.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
wait......so If I get a job as a mail carrier..... I could get a rhd sti??????

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
don't care.......lol....... I need to find a RHD NB8 front clip :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts