ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately Ill be driving my miata year round in northern Ohio, snowy/icy weather. I have winter tires and a hard top already. So I'm looking to improve the safety in driving my miata in some not so ideal driving conditions, especially at night. My stock '95 flip up 'bug' headlights aren't cutting it. They just aren't very bright & don't allow me to see potentially dangerous road conditions coming up fast enough. So what would be the top of the line, best headlight/lighting set up I could possibly get to most improve my safety, without making it an $500 project or crazy type deal? I will be starting work at a body shop soon and will have the resources and wise advisory to toy around with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
E-codes are indeed not DOT approved but the typical Hella conversion has to be on thousands upon thousands of miatas these days. And probably millions of jeeps with the 7" lights as well. They are objectively safer for other drivers as well.

The SWAT team won't break down your doors. It's pretty much the automotive equivalent of ripping the tags off a mattress.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I run a 95, with Bosch E codes ( DOT approved for motorcycles.... But they do say DOT on them )
They are nice and white, not yellow. The driving light is awesome, the high beams are astounding.
I really think it's some of the best money you can spend ( ~$60 shipped with bulbs )
You get more light on the road, without glare for other drivers. It's really win win.
And when you need to replace bulbs, you only have to spend $10-15 for good replacements.

I'll repost from my build thread on another forum.
-----
Bosch E-code H4 conversions, German Flosser 55/60watt bulbs. About 100 times better than sealed beams. Can see forever, especially with the brights.
Install was easy, take off plastic shroud, loosen three screws, take out metal surround, swap in new housing and bulb.
Got them for around $60 shipped for 2 housings and 2 bulbs.
h4 housings: http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118
Bulbs: http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=78155
Little more info regarding these conversions: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

Wall beam shots, all taken manual settings so they are the same:
Stock sealed beam: Blobs of light

Sealed beam on left, H4 on right:

Both h4. The cut off is awesome.

Just a running shot of the H4:

And off:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah those bosch e codes look pretty good, you said they have DOT on them, akazero?
Vincent, do you have a link or a particular set that's good?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The bosch say DOT and motorcycle, meaning they were dot approved for motorcycle use.
Technically anything but sealed beam driving lights are "illegal" on cars that came with sealed beams.
Tons more info here, comparisons between real E code, and the motorcycle version. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

If your lights work you should pass inspection. And no cop is going to ever pull you over for running E codes.
Maybe in California though, everything is illegal there.
If you are really worried though, keep your sealed beams and put them in when you need an inspection done.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Hella E-codes with 80/100watt bulbs are phenomenal.

Just bought me exactly this!

from Susquehanna motorsports, aka rallylights.com (i think) if you google it you will find it.

$127 shipped I think mine came too! So excited to get them!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah those bosch e codes look pretty good, you said they have DOT on them, akazero?
Vincent, do you have a link or a particular set that's good?

you have to custom fabricate something with a housing and projector. Recently finished my retrofit low profiles. Search for 'brainstorm low profile hid retrofit' its also in exterior section

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
For those worried about DOT I'll leave this.
A DOT symbol appearing on an item of lighting equipment represents its
manufacturer’s certification of compliance with U.S. Federal requirements. It does not represent any "approval" by DOT. We have no authority to "approve" or "disapprove" vehicles or equipment.

Excerpt from here

http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/notapproved/A-01.pdf

When a part is considered DOT approved it means it was built to a certain standard. They do not apply for approval, it is up to the manufacturer to understand what the DOT rules are and decide if they are in compliance. If the product was not built for the US, they would have never checked or built it to these standards. It not being DOT approved means nothing really. It just means they didnt bother molding it onto their lens.

The only thing it leaves open is the possibility of getting into legal trouble for the company that makes the lights. Claiming false DOT when not within its guidelines is against the law. Which is why a company wont claim DOT approval unless it was built with it in mind.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Haha well whats the difference on the e codes vs the vision plus?
European code headlights (E-code) are like a high flow shower head; specific engineering involved in throwing the light to the road and not into oncoming driver's eyes (i.e. sharp cutoff).

DOT headlights (department of transportation) are like a water saver shower head; no critical lens aiming design.

DOT headlights have "aiming nipples" on the lens so the idiots at the local garage can attach the aiming device.

E-code headlights are a flat face and you aim the lens at night while facing a wall.

E-code headlights accept a common H4 style bulb. H4 is a bulb size/style and there are many different wattage combinations available. (60/55, 100/80, 120/90, etc.).

DOT headlamps accept a different style plug with few wattage options. Even if a DOT replacement bulb were offered with higher wattage, the primary problem with DOT lights is that the light isn't focused where you need it; on the road.

They are either US lights (DOT) or European code (e-code); not both.

Those will work just fine. I doubt the majority of car enthusiasts could tell the difference between Bosch/CIBIE/Hella anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ohh i see, very good information.
you guys have been a very big help, everyone seems to have their bit of info to help out and i'm thankful!
it's kind of a headache to try and sift through info on the net and get what your looking for & it helps to have people with experience and knowledge, so thanks

1 - 20 of 138 Posts