ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in Japan for the next two years and would really like to make the ABSOLUTE best of it.

I am in Sasebo which is apart of the Nagasaki Prefecture. Long story short, Its in the south. I would really like to get to local events, find local parts stores (There is an AutoBac (??) right down the street. Im gonna try to pop in there and see what its about) and local junk/scrap yards.

I have only been here for about 3 weeks (10 days of that was out to sea) so what Japanese I do know is useless. The language barrier is really holding me back from getting out and exploring. I fear I may either end up lost OR...some place I didn't intend to go.

Anyone here from Japan or have any good tips/places to see and go.

I am honestly all ears...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO. dont remind me....

I got my car out of paint 3 days before I left. Its just sitting under a cover in my garage. I am hoping I can find some nice stuff here to spoil her for being such a good sport for two years.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hmm, Nagasaki is one place I have not been to before.. darn it.

http://www.gaijindrift.com (If you havent joined yet get on there and tell them I sent you)
They are all based in Japan.

I dont know that area at all im afraid.. if u were in Tokyo or Osaka id of been able to help you out :/ I can however offer some help with any questions you have or want to ask in Japanese to get by? Have you gotten lost yet haha?

When you go up to someone and want to ask for help say this. (I'll type it how it sounds instead of how its spelt, so those who can read/write Japanese I KNOW it'll be spelt wrong lol)

Excuse me : Sumimasen
Is English alright? : Eigo (sounds like 'A' for 'Apple' - A-GO (not 'ah go') Day daijobu des ka?
How do I get to **** : (Start with place name) example: Supa Otto bacsu wa doko des ka?

Asking Eigo day is basically just like asking if speaking in English is ok, Most times they say no haha :p but just smile and it shows your putting an effort in, it also lets them know that English is your native language so they might know someone who can speak it.. I find that in a store if i want something.. I ask if english is ok and they usually get someone who can speak some english. :)

Wakarimasen = I dont understand (wa ka ri ma sen)
Wakarimasta = I understand (wa ka ri ma sta)

If your at a train station, and you dont know while line you need to take you say.

"Sumimasen! ano Tokyo yuki des ka?" <-- Excuse me, where is the line for tokyo.

They will reply with a platform number or sometimes show you.. again if they jibber into Japanese just say..

"Ahh sumimasen.. ano ego day daijobu des ka?" :)

Remember when you ask a question (ka) make it sound like your asking a question normally.. so its obvious. If you read it all mono toned it will be harder for people to understand you.

Keep it up though - It gets easier, and more fun as you go! :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yup rail pass is a good shout ! :D Iv used a JR pass every time iv gone but as far as I know you cant buy the JR Pass inside Japan..

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Yup rail pass is a good shout ! :D Iv used a JR pass every time iv gone but as far as I know you cant buy the JR Pass inside Japan..
Really? You should be able to go into any staffed JR station and request a pass. Be sure to have your passport handy because they give discounts to tourists, especially right now with them trying to bolster their economy back up after the quakes.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Curious, but you never mentioned WHY you're in Japan for the next 2 years. What's the story?

....i wanna go :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am actually here for the Navy. I am stationed on a Mine Sweeper in Sasebo. Near SSK Shipyard.

I have yet to get lost. I have only been pier side for a total of two weeks thus far. I actually met an american who has been here for about ten years today. He has a few pretty neat cars. A R34, and a couple Silvias. Once I can get a phone (now I know to get a smart phone) I will be able to get in touch with him and go out to some local meets, drift events and maybe some touge runs. I think meeting him was a BIG step in the right direction.

I am thinking THE JR pass is only available to tourists so if any of my family decides to come see me I will have them take a look into that. For us military guys there is a free bus that goes to Fukuoka (three up garage locations) on a daily basis. I actually went there this passed weekend and was able to get a taste of the night life. It was insanity. My god...

Anywho, I do appreciate any and all info. Once I get some good stuff Ill start posting it up as my adventures progress. My ship will actually being taking a trip around Japan early next year and we will be spending a while in Yokusuka. From what I hear its not far from Tokyo so that will be a big plus. Let hope my Japanese will be better by then...

Thanks again guys....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts