ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has their been someone who has broken a MSM 6 speed? Again, I don't care about the regular 6 speeds, I see those broke everywhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Arent the gears shot peened in the MSM Miata? I also heard that the part numbers for the gears are different as well. I never heard of anyone breaking a MSM trans. I'd like to know if someone has, and at what HP/TRQ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From all of the discussing here, I get the impression that a 5 to 6 speed swap is a no problem change as far as bell bolt locations, frt and rear spline sizes, and shifter location, right?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Got a few questions about a Torsen swap i'm currently undertaking. Im source some LSD gears from a '95 a while back. Finally, I got around to finding an open 2000 automatic differential to install the 95 torsen gears into and then swap that new combo for the open that is currently in the car (a 1999 5 speed).

So I got the new torsen diff (95 torsen unit in 2000) fully bolted up into the subframe, driveshaft, PPF, etc all back in place. My final task was to slide the axles into the casing. This is where I got stuck. Its rather hard to persuade them back in where axle is mated nicely to the casing. Am I missing something? Do I need different axles for this swap or just some more power shoving those bastards back in? Do the LSD's use different axles than the open?

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,919 Posts
Aside from the MSM axles, all 1.8 axles are the same. Well... ABS has the tone ring but whatever.

To pop in you have to get the C clamp to compress. Sometimes it takes a whack with a rubber mallet.

And damn... almost a month later... I hope you already searched yourself for this and I'm typing for no reason, like normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Almost four years later and this post is still relevant to new guys like me.
A great read, so many thanks for all the hard work Doppelgänger.
It's also saved me buying a diff.

Regards.
Rich.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did the information in the OP come from? I can't seem to find this information anywhere other than various Miata forums.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll see if I can dig them up and re-host them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one 1.8 na 6 speed and at 120kmh I go with 4000 rpm what gear ratio I have i'm running on 205 55 15
I think I have Torsen diff

21 - 34 of 34 Posts