ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the looks department, I think she looks ok....

I think Miatas were MADE for 13inchers :p

But is it all show?

Thanks to Sid for the wheels and for dropping them off for me. Really cool guy and we need to hang since we're pratically neighbors!

Now for initial impressions:

She rubs on hard cornering. And it bugs the hell outta me. At first I was a little perplexed since it was the same height as before (12f, 12.25r) so i raised the car a little bit to where it sits in the pics above(a snug 2 fingers). Then I was looking at it and it occured to me. DUH! The offset. Whereas before my other wheel (Rota GT3) just tucked into the fender, now it has no-where to go.

Keep in mind this is with the stock TEIN Flex springs (7f, 6r), and its not enough. Most of my friends are running Koni race shocks with #700 spring rates and you can't even put a finger in the wheel well, and they don't rub. SO, looks like its time to order some stiffer Tein springs AND get the fenders rolled, which I had planned to get anyways.

I haven't noticed any tramlining, but I DO need to get it aligned again. One thing I noticed was a slight increase in body roll and it feels a little squirly during transitions, which I blame on sidewall design, that will be remedied with AO32s and stiffer springs.

You can definitely tell the reduced rotational mass when scootin' around. She accelerates much more easily now.

And she sits lower overall, which I like. A Lot.

Overall, it's not for everybody and DEFINITELY not for people with stock or even upgraded springs. You NEED stiffer springs. But as a project canyon-carver or tracker, 13inchers with sticky tires are the way to go! =D> [/img]

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tires that came with it, Sumis 215/50/13. Soon-to-be AO32s. :)

The Sumis actually aren't bad. I was taking a few freeway sweepers at nearly the same speed with my 205/50/15 Azenis. The only difference was the dayam rubbing made me ease off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was really thinkin about getting those wheels. i was too hesitant about the rubbing issues though. congrats with the new look. your car looks awsome.

·
Registered
441 Posts
that looks awesome

·
Mufasa in Training
33,189 Posts
That looks great, but I think a different size would be in order for me (AGX's and FM's old, stiff, and short springs).

M

·
0 Posts

The Sumis actually aren't bad. I was taking a few freeway sweepers at nearly the same speed with my 205/50/15 Azenis. The only difference was the dayam rubbing made me ease off.
Hey Tam,

Looks great! It would be fun to get a pic parked next to Peter Li's.

Do you know the height and diameter of the 13" tire vs. a 15" OEM?

I'm curious if it is much smaller diameter, how much it effects gearing and your speedometer accuracy.

Bill

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hey Tam,

Looks great! It would be fun to get a pic parked next to Peter Li's.

Do you know the height and diameter of the 13" tire vs. a 15" OEM?

I'm curious if it is much smaller diameter, how much it effects gearing and your speedometer accuracy.

Bill
When I swapped the rims I measured the Rota GT3s vs the RBs and the GT3 combo is just over 2.50inches TALLER then the RBs.

With the GT3/Azenis combo (205/50/15), my speedometer was 3-4 miles optimistic. I know because there's one of those mobile "Slow Down! Your Speed Is..." radar thingies near my house.

I'll check with the RB combo tommorow when I goto work.

Thanks for the props everyone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great wheels. I would have bought them asap, but I'm a little slow at the intraweb.

Don't know how much fender rolling you need, but B. Goodwin had the Eastwood Fender Roller at C2 Motorsports last week. Maybe he can help you out.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?...DUCT&path=1,2,503,504,514&KickerID=232&KICKER

Regarding the smaller circumference, the 13's are great IMO. Much lighter (usually) and really brings the revs up quicker. Lower CG too. Perfect for autoX.

Too bad Falken doesn't mage a 13" Azenis. :(

/Mike

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know how much fender rolling you need, but B. Goodwin had the Eastwood Fender Roller at C2 Motorsports last week. Maybe he can help you out.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?...DUCT&path=1,2,503,504,514&KickerID=232&KICKER

/Mike
Yup, I already made an appointment with Steve at C2 for next Monday(17th) morning. Anyone in San Diego wanna come hang out?(mike?) The shop is fairly new and has lots of go-fast miata goodies. It's a one-man operation for now (B. Goodwin stops by now and then) so the flares might take awhile. I'll treat to some sushi or dim sum if someone wants to come hang out, Last time I was there just hanging out I picked up a used Autopower roll bar for cheap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
its easy to figure out what the diameter and rolling circumference is.

we'll do the sumitomo's size for example: 215/50/13

50% x 215 = 107.5mm sidewall.

24.5 mm in an inch so

107.5 / 24.5 = 4.38"

4.38" + 13" = 17.38" wheel and tire diameter

17.38 x 3.14(pi) = 54.57" rolling circumference.

man, math is fun!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nerd, haha. j/k

Your car's looking really nice man, just roll the fenders and you should have to problems with rubbing with those spring rates.

M

·
0 Posts
Yup, I already made an appointment with Steve at C2 for next Monday(17th) morning...I'll treat to some sushi or dim sum if someone wants to come hang out...
Monday's my birthday. If I come down from OC to watch your roll job, will you buy me a spicy tuna handroll with a candle in it?

Bill

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 29 Posts