ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched and looked at the first page of results...
didn't see anything.
don't care.

if there's a thread about auto insurance already, point me to it.

i currently have allstate, but am considering switching providers to save coin.
who has what?
you like them?
what don't you like about them?

·
Administrator
15,383 Posts
I have Farmers.

I hate them.

1) They're stupid when i call them.
2) Agent never picks up the phone.
3) Shitty glass coverage compared to other options.
4) Have ALL FIVE CARS LISTED WITH MY FIANCE AS PRIMARY DRIVER no matter how many times i bitch about it.
5) Are convinced that all five of said cars are being used as daily drivers and are driven every day no matter how many times i bitch about it.

Because of #4 and #5, i'm being overcharged a good $80-$100/month. Will likely sue them as i'm switching.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Usaa. Cheap as ****. Love them. Had progressive first, and they were alright until they charged me $1700 for motorcycle insurance coverage over some paperwork they never sent me.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
USAA is the way to go if you have an "in" via a family member in the military. None of the stereotypes: helpful, speedy, fair... I'm a fan.

That being said, anybody who modifies a car and has feelings for it should consider a declared value policy. Otherwise in an accident you will be compensated for the stock value of the car without any aftermarket parts, unless there is a provision for that kind of thing in your policy. In the case of the Miata I feel like it is worth it if the total value of the parts in your car is above $12,000 or so. If you wreck the car and have a regular policy, the only way to even come close to recovering your investment is to keep the salvage and part out all the un-damaged items. I've done this. While it is cost effective and somewhat satisfying, it is not at all convenient. For the sake of your own sanity and because you know you will just end up modifying the next car you buy, I think being compensated for the full value - and then walking away from the carlationship is the way to go.

With declared value, you get back what you say you put in. Of course, you pay for that priveledge in premiums. Pay now or take a chance you could be paying more later? Whatever works for your life situation...

·
Registered
400 Posts
State Farm. My parents have known the agent for years, and he's a good guy, and, they're very affordable and easy to work with.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have allstate and hopefully i never have to fucking use insurance, but i think i'ma switch today.
aaa is a savings of 40 per month right now.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I also have State Farm. They've treated me well for years. They were beyond fair with what they gave me for the first Sharka and my buy back price was like $400. I have no complaints.

I pay around 80 per month.

·
Super Moderator
2,597 Posts
Progressive. I shop around every time I am up for renewal (6 months) and I take whoever has the lowest price for the coverage I want.

I always go with ultra low deductibles because they wont tell you this but its usually only a few bucks more.

For example, my current policy with a $1000 deductible would have been $371/6 months with no glass coverage. I moved it down to a $250 deductible and free glass replacement and it was $381/ 6 months. Well worth the extra 2 bucks per month to only be out $250 instead of $1000 in the event of an accident.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy ****...
this declared value policy is something that i've always been curious about.
pay more up front so that just in fucking case anything happens to the miata, i can get back what i've actually put into it.
it's not even that expensive, from what it seems.
i'll know more tomorrow.

does anyone have experience with aaa insurance?

·
fuckin smart
1,294 Posts
I also have State Farm. They've treated me well for years. They were beyond fair with what they gave me for the first Sharka and my buy back price was like $400. I have no complaints.

I pay around 80 per month.
This. State Farm is really good. I pay like 90 something for comprehensive and no collision but Im younger so it's expected. Apparently they dont cover mods though. They know I have a hard top and I have receipts for everything I've bought and everyone said if anything happens and you have the receipts for your stuff, SF will pay for it. Although they told me the only thing that might cover my wheels would be renters insurance...

·
Got Wheel Gap?
1,617 Posts
I also have Progressive. I have been VERY happy with them. They have taken very good care of me and my rates keep dropping every 6 months. I am also getting older, almost 34 now and I have not had a ticket (knock on wood) in about 3 1/2 years. I pay $60 a month.

My Stats: (Think I need to see what a lower Deductible would run me a month).

2004 MazdaBODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY$159.00 BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON$8.00
COMPREHENSIVE ACV LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE$19.00
COLLISION ACV LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE$148.00
RENTAL REIMBURSEMENT$10.00 UP TO $25/DAY FOR MAX OF 30 DAYS
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE$4.00
Premium by Vehicle$348.00
Policy Level CoveragesUninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi$10.00 $100,000 Each Person - $300,000 Each Accident
Total Policy Premium$358.00

·
Registered
765 Posts
i got geico for bout 9yrs, i have been pleased with my coverage, i had a wreck 4yrs ago and had rental coverage... as of right now i have liabitly for my miata, full coverage for my other dd i pay 195.. i got a queto from all state with everything i have current on both cars it would drop to 119 mothly.. i dk much about all state so i may just stick with GEICO...

·
Mr December yo
2,423 Posts
who has what? I have third party fire + theft with JustCar
you like them? So far so good. They're one of the only insurance companies that will insurer modified cars (provided all mods are legal). They're also affordable. RACV seem to be one of the only cheaper ones
what don't you like about them? Apart from the usual 'having a huge excess because I'm a young male driver' one, no complaints yet. However I haven't filed anything yet so I guess time will tell

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
USAA

I pay a bag of dirt a month

They are awesome. Haven't had to use it, but they helped me a lot when I was going through a broke as **** period.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have AAA right now. Great coverage. My Miata doesn't even have plates and I was backed into by someone with no insurance. Already my car is in the bodyshop getting fixed within a day or 2. No fee on me whatsoever. (Estimate was $1,141.15) Granted I do have full coverage from them for my bike so the Miata even though its not technically added to my policy yet was still covered.
I had Progressive before and they wanted double what AAA charges me to cover my motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts