ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing somewhere about led lights for backlighting but then someone posted a couple pics of of different color options with what appeared to be wedge bulbs I think in a set for sale. (bulb number 94 I think)

Can someone tell me is it just a matter of changing out the bulbs for a different color or is there some kind of screen on the hvac and instrument cluster that needs to be removed also. How many total bulbs do I need and what kind, thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Check revlimiter. I believe, rather IIrc, its the dials themselves that are the source of color.
Prolly wrong though; lol.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Are u asking about hvac? Or the tach it self bc the tach the gage faces tuem selfs have a color film and the bulbs have a light condom the hvac it has the film aswell not sure of the bulbs. As for the led number I don't remember atm

Here the list of led light for a na miata http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1991/mazda/miata/36/730

·
Registered
15 Posts
AFAIK, the green lighting is from the gauges (there is a green film on the back if I understand correctly). As far as I can recall, the bigger bulbs in the instrument cluster are 168/194's. I have tried replacing my bulbs with blue LEDs - this resulted in a sort of bluish-green (more blue than green) light. I don't think that it is too bad looking...I just need to figure out how to change the HVAC bulbs and the hazard/"lights-up" switch lights to match...

·
Registered
34 Posts
AFAIK, the green lighting is from the gauges (there is a green film on the back if I understand correctly). As far as I can recall, the bigger bulbs in the instrument cluster are 168/194's. I have tried replacing my bulbs with blue LEDs - this resulted in a sort of bluish-green (more blue than green) light. I don't think that it is too bad looking...I just need to figure out how to change the HVAC bulbs and the hazard/"lights-up" switch lights to match...
Any luck doing the HVAC and other lights?

·
<3s Malaking Puwit.
581 Posts
The gauges themselves have a green tint on the back. Using sanding paper, you can sand away the green film. If you take off the green condoms as well you'll be left with an amber or soft white lighting.

Hazard/popup light/dimmer/cruise/fog/etc. use Bulbs as well. I can't remember the size exactly, when I changed mine out I ordered a couple of different sizes. Something similar to this.

The cabin lights (near the glove box, or the ignition switch on 1.6s) use festoon bulbs. I've converted all the lights in my old NA's interior to LEDs.

You can see the I changed the dimmer controls to red LEDs.

The HVACs I've dealt with don't have removable bulbs. They are all wired in. You can wire in an LED if you have the know how. I just ended up painting the inside of the HVAC face with transparent red to get the red look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great. I may try the hvac the same way.

I did the turn signals red as well but am ordering single led bulbs as the 4 led are too bright. I popped out the green arrow and put in some translucent plastic from some packaging i had laying around.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts