ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Modifying our Miatas interiors to be just how we like them is one thing, but I'm curious what you all do to maintain and clean your interior? I use a collection of Meguiar's Leather Foam, Lexol Leather Conditioner, Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer, a variety of application pads and microfiber towels and Rainx glass cleaner in my interior. I find the Meguiar's Leather Foam works great on the vinyl, plastic, and leather surfaces in my Miata (so, basically all of them) and leaves them with a clean but not super shiny finish (like stinkin' Armorall) and a *great* smell.

What I would really like to have is a garage so I can drag a vacuum out to my car and get all the little nooks and crannies. Any of you have a cigarette lighter vacuum you've found works particularly well?

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #4
Vinyl and leather surfaces will fade and crack if not treated and protected properly. Water is actually not recommended for leather since it can stain or discolor the dye.

And there's far more to interior detailing than just that. Getting dust out of all the little crevices, cleaning the cruddy bottom of cupholders, removing stains from carpet, effective removal of dog hair, etc.

Registered

Leather Honey is my favorite thing for leather. It's a conditioner, so if I need to clean something first, I'll reach for just about anything that's handy. I've got some Lexol leather cleaner that works pretty well. But for conditioning, Leather Honey is the shizz.

Brush it on with a nylon paint brush. Let it sit 12 hours. Wipe it off with teeshirt-like jersey material. Towels or microfiber will leave fibers behind.

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried the Leather Honey on the OEM leather seats in Miatas? Some people tell me that the low-grade leather used has so much of what is essentially clear coat over it that products like Leather Honey can't soak into the actual leather.

Also in your Miata dash restoration project you mentioned using brake fluid when cleaning the unseen ductwork and underside of the dash. Is that a cleaner or does it somehow recondition the plastic?

Registered
I discovered Lexol products for both leather and for vinyl/plastics. Even though they are considered both cleaners & conditioners, I still use Optimum Power Clean (OPC) to remove oxidation & contaminants first. Since OPC is an alkaline based cleaner, you need to either wipe it off with water (rinse) and then use the protectant/conditioners last.

Today's plastic & vinyl products contain a UV sunscreen that slow down the natural curing process of the plastics.

Registered
I love the Autoglym interior shampoo to bits; it does miracles. I also use Autoglym's vinyl & rubber care on my plastic parts, albeit it attracts more dust than I like. I hear great things for 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic bits, as it is supposedly antistatic which helps with dust.

Registered
Have you tried the Leather Honey on the OEM leather seats in Miatas? Some people tell me that the low-grade leather used has so much of what is essentially clear coat over it that products like Leather Honey can't soak into the actual leather.

Also in your Miata dash restoration project you mentioned using brake fluid when cleaning the unseen ductwork and underside of the dash. Is that a cleaner or does it somehow recondition the plastic?
Yup. Brake fluid nourishes plastic, at least to my understanding. It cleans and renews it. I've used it for years on various plastic interior pieces with no problems.

I tried Leather Honey on my NC leather seats. Those are the only OEM leather ones I've ever had. It... kinda helped. It helped get the old man smell out of the seats actually. Those things smelled like they were doused in English Leather every day of their lives when I bought the car. Now it just smells like an old car.

Registered
I've recently applied Leather Honey to a pair of '97 tan NA seats that have 188K miles on them. I left the Leather Honey on them for a few days... or a week, I can't remember... and they did absorb it. I think that regardless of whatever coating Mazda used on the NA or NB seats has likely worn off by now (unless we're talking about some really low mile car). I know it has on my car as I've seen a white microfiber start turning tan from pulling out the tan dye from the seats. Anyways, I was curious how well Leather Honey would take to a pair of tired old stock seats. It did well in my opinion.

It did lightly darken them a bit. Darkened them a good bit in the areas that the top layer of leather had been rubbed/flaked off, so those areas stand out more now. There is a bit of sheen on them still, after wiping off the excess, which would likely disappear after some use. They look better than they did, they don't look dried out now. They look better from a distance/glance/in pics than before. But, they're still worn out, well, the driver's side is, passenger is still passable (par for the course).

Anyways, here's an imgur album of pics.

These are no longer being used. Leather Nakamae seats replaced them. Which have also been treated with Leather Honey, for about 48 hours now. I'll likely leave it til Fri. or Sat. Want to really make sure it takes to them. From my understanding they're 12 years old.

Oh, an 8oz bottle of Leather Honey is more than enough. I bought a 16oz bottle and easily have enough to do probably a dozen more pairs of seats. Only the top/front seating surface is leather on the stock seats (Nakamaes too).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts