ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible..........

The other day I hooked up the iPod to a set of computer speakers with a small woofer (the usual Dell speakers/woofer).... it played. Which made me think, can I delete my radio in the car, and somehow just hook the iPod to the speakers??? I'm not all that proficient at audio, so this may be way out there, but I had to ask cuz I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thanks to anyone who knows/is willing to post.

Don't make fun of me :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definitely possible.

Get a Belkin Auto Kit thing (Charger/Line out).

Open it up, desolder the potentiometer (volume control, it's a 50K or 100K, 100K gives more room for control, 50K gets louder quicker), figure out the pinouts on your own (should be simple as all hell.

Then run the line out to an Amp wired to the speakers (2 channel for just doors, 4 channel to add in the HR speakers).

I can tell you it works (I did it.).

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I'm doing that but keeping my radio in the car just because there are a few times i like to have the traffic report or the game on.

Plus the volume is easier to control than with the belkin. If you use the one in the belkin unit it can lead to clipping (which is why they put the knob in there in the first place) if the volume is set too high. Well, I say volume, but it's more like a gain setting. If you've got some AV experience, you'll know the difference. ;)

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I also read about something like that on miata.net, replacing the headunit with just an in dash amplifier/equalizer. Sounds cool but I suppose Im still in the stone age with my CD's

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started a simular thread on Miata.net myself.

The issue I have is finding an amp that's light enough to to loose weight compared to the stock headunit.

Anyone here have recommendations?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Which Lexus did the amp come out of?

I used to have a 97 ES 300 and that stereo was pretty damn tough for stock!

·
Registered
484 Posts
don't know why you need potentiometers... i mean damn the line out from the head unit is just a limited line out that doesn't pump out alot of volume so you have a dedicated line for the amp. I've just done this because my alpine amp gave up on me. =(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts