ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I finally got my '95 IRTB Miata w/'99 stock engine over to the Dyno at (CFT) Central Florida Turbo in Orlando. This is the first time that we used the AEM P&P on a Miata. They have a Mustang Dyno and Max Power was [email protected] Max Torque was 120.2 @ 5250. The car idles like a rock and has a more throaty sound, more like webers.The Mustang Dyno is a low Dyno and with CFT's calculation they say that with a Dynajet which is an inertia Dyno they are estimating 152 RWHP. Now for some of you that have driven my car at the Gap and know the feelling, I have about 15-20 more RWHP & and at least 10Ft. lbs more torque which makes a world of difference on a 2000 lb car. I would like to and need to mention this, Rolo at CFT did the tuning and he is one of the best anywhere which makes a big difference. I will be working with them. Initially I had a OER MAP SENSOR but the AEM would not recognize it and CFT had a used HONDA 3 wire MAP SENSOR, I tapped into the MAF (+),TPS(5v), and Ground. The other thing that we noticed is that with IRTB's the engine rocked like mad even with the new Mazdaspeed engine mounts. The Engine Torque Damper pretty much eliminates the rocking.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bryan-Yes, the nice thing and will help in cost is that it looks like that the Honda MAP sensor works and it will be much cheaper than new ones on the market. I had to mention this to you, Rolo had trouble fitting into my Cobra seat.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jimmy thanks for the updates! Looking forward to further updates, I very much enjoyed driving your car at the Gap. I'm 100% sold on IRTB's now, just need to find a set up for the BP-ZE I can afford! (more likely the engine management) Thats the fear I keep having is that very few people have experience tuning the VVT on the 01+ motor....

But love what you're doing keep it up!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Jimmy. Thanks for the update. I am almost done breaking in my motor and then your kit is going on. Atleast I know what to expect out of it now. I am expecting anywhere from 160-200 rwhp, considering the work done to my now 1.7L. I will let you know what I put down and hopefully be able to make it to the Gap. I really want to go.

BTW* Post some new vids of your car on your site. I got a guy on the Houston Miata Club forum that doesn't believe your car can be so fast and I don't have time to explain ITB's to him. I told him to call you.

Calvin

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Calvin-You need to make it to the Gap and not just for the Miata's. You are going to meet a bunch of cool people, many which are members of this forum. I will be picking up a '90 Miata next week with a full roll cage which will go into my current Miata so I will be ready for the Time Attack events. I will be bringing my Miata out to Miata's at Hallet for next year and you will get an idea how much faster the Supercharged and Turbo cars are. We will be adding cam gears,cams and porting the head. If anybody from the Houston area can attend it would give them an idea what a naturally aspirated Miata w/IRTB's are capable of. We still don't know what to expect but we will never know until we try. And FOO we will try to get your car running right. Bryan the Miata that I am picking up has a Cobra seat and I won't know the condition until I see it on Monday.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
No worries about getting it running good. I'm about as laid back as it gets until substantially provoked :lol:

Once it does get running good, i'll try to run around with you as much as I can. If there's one thing i love more than driving, it's pushing the limits at the same time :D

PS: You need any worker bees at your shop? I could use a change of pace around here :| (as is goinf to France isn't enough :lol: )

·
Registered
499 Posts
i also got my miata, w/ fuji-itb's and aem ems tuned on friday. i talked to jimmy on the phone a few times yesterday, while we had the car on the dyno.

the car is 100% better now than it was w/ the piggyback.keith @ PURE TUNING in toledo, ohio did a great job. no tip-in throttle problems, iat sensor is good( which it did run much better once we switched the from stock iat to honda type iat setting in aem-jimmy)

just for future refrence, the itbs do like to be on the rich side, cruzing on highwas it at about 13.5:1 a/f ratio, that not as rich as the piggy back runs the car, my eyes watter on the highway at constant throttle, w/ the wideband peged at 10(or less):1

once the car has more comp. ie-11:1. hi lift cams(toda-272/10), and head work to improve flow. the setup will rock even more!!! <- my winter project:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great to hear that you completed your tuning. We will be taking the car out to the 1/4 mile track in about 2 weeks, then if we hit our goal of 13's then it will be time to do some porting, head shave and some low lift mild cams. I have seen a well respected Mazda Tuner have great success even on the famous Japanese Tsukuba track w/IRTB's and mild cams. I would like to see first how our mild cams work. I already know that with Hi-Lift and aggressive cams an IRTB Miata will rock.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
This keeps making me want the Fuji IRTB more and more, but it's till cheaper to go turbo and I have BOOST IN MY BLOOD.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bryan-I do not want to take away from Bruce's IRTB & Freedom thread so I will answer your question here. I will be sharing the IRTB/AEM fuel map with stock cams/internals. Once we go with more aggressive cams I will only share info. with customers that request it that have my IRTB kit.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The AEM plugs right into your stock/OEM ECU connector and is a true Plug & Play.Install only took 10 maybe 15 minutes to tap the 3 Map wires into the MAF wires. The tuning to build a fuel map didn't even take 2 hours. If I wanted to stay with the stock internals I wouldn't need to touch it anymore. That is the advantage of a stand alone/ fuel injected IRTB's over carburetor's.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts