ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 2 years with stock internals it is time to build a couple of motors. First motor will be the cheaper way by shaving the head, stiffer valve springs, & aggressive cams. Once we finish that motor and take it to the (Time Attack)road courses first in the southeast, then across the country to see what type of lap times are capable with IRTB's. I still believe a Naturally Aspirated Miata can be faster than FI in autox. While that motor is in the car we will build the bottom end up on another engine now that I carry a full line of internal parts. Thanks to this forum I will share the process so many will have a better understanding of the potential of naturally aspirated IRTB's on a special car like the Miata.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can't wait to see what you come up with Jimmy! Its great to see you posting on here more an more!

NA for life!

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
+1 to what Chris said. Whether you're right or wrong, I think you are giving Miata owners other options, which I'm very happy to see.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I look forward to more writeups on your progress. I have been thinking about this myself and the debate continues as I try to save up money. I'll probably end up going with the "cheaper" head (e.g. head shave, stiffer springs, and cams) so that I've got money enough left over for throttles.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
I look forward to more writeups on your progress. I have been thinking about this myself and the debate continues as I try to save up money. I'll probably end up going with the "cheaper" head (e.g. head shave, stiffer springs, and cams) so that I've got money enough left over for throttles.
With a modified rev limit (on stock ECU), this might be a good solution.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Jimmy,

I've gone turbo before but have always been a big N/A fan. Slightly going off topic, but my buddy Jerry just finished his K20/K24 motor in a Civic hatchback. Recently tuned at 297 hp to the wheels with 207 lbs. of torque with TWM ITB's. So I can't wait for someone to do some N/A buildups for our roadsters. Please keep us posted as you go...thanks! =D>

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is exactly the kind of build I've been dying to read about! Any insight on which cams work best, which springs to get, and how much to shave off of the head is very much appreciated, as I'm picking up a spare 1.6 head very soon to begin building a top end for ITBs. (and I'm dead set on fujis too!)

slightly OT - with cams and ITBs, I know the engine can take advantage of a higher redline. What's the limit on a B6?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 to what Chris said. Whether you're right or wrong, I think you are giving Miata owners other options, which I'm very happy to see.
I agree about right or wrong. On paper everything looks good but we won't know until we do it. IRTB's aren't for everyone & having another option is good.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
=D>
Great! I can't wait to see a N/A SM2 Miata. Good luck with the project!
Hi Thomas. Are you the Thomas that I met in Ft. Myers earlier this year? If so I'm sorry that I couldn't make it out to the Texas event. I've been looking at Danny Popps(Corvette) McKee's RX7's 60 ft. times & I know that we can launch with them. We can get the weight down to 1900 lbs. Peak HP will be easy to come by. Our goal is through sizing to get the low-midrange torque. I had a hand in Palmblads Supercharged Miata & I believe that a built NA(Naturally Aspirated) Miata could compete with that. I was going to stay CSP 1 more year but what the heck we proved that we could compete with the top national CSP cars. We got respect from some great national CSP drivers McCabe, Becker,Baker, & those guy's are fast. Look forward to seeing you again.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jimmy,

I've gone turbo before but have always been a big N/A fan. Slightly going off topic, but my buddy Jerry just finished his K20/K24 motor in a Civic hatchback. Recently tuned at 297 hp to the wheels with 207 lbs. of torque with TWM ITB's. So I can't wait for someone to do some N/A buildups for our roadsters. Please keep us posted as you go...thanks! =D>
Many don't know this but I am a Turbo fan also. Great numbers on the Civic. I still prefer NA on a light weight car. We will be doing our Dyno testing with some crazy Turbo specializing shops. Titan Motorsports or Central Florida Turbo since they really know how to tune the AEM or MicroTech.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is exactly the kind of build I've been dying to read about! Any insight on which cams work best, which springs to get, and how much to shave off of the head is very much appreciated, as I'm picking up a spare 1.6 head very soon to begin building a top end for ITBs. (and I'm dead set on fujis too!)

slightly OT - with cams and ITBs, I know the engine can take advantage of a higher redline. What's the limit on a B6?
You can take it to 9000 but of course the key parts have to be replaced Rod, stiffer Valve springs and so on which we now carry. From experience I pretty much know what cams work and I will share our dyno/track results. Shaving the head depends on what parts you are using like piston CR & what your goals are.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jimmy, I'm the Thomas that you talked to in Ft. Myers in Feb. I was really looking forward to seeing your car at the TX Pro and lining up against it.

I love what you're doing and may have to talk to you in the future for a IRTB setup for my autocross car!

Are you increasing the displacement for the new project motor?

On a side note for anybody that is thinking about ordering from Fuji-racing, Jimmy was super nice when I met him and willing to answer all of my questions even during the hustle and bustle of prepping for a National Tour event. Plus the drivers that are making glowing comments about his CSP car are no joke. National caliber drivers with experience in many different cars.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the wonderful opportunity to drive Jimmy's car at MATG, and I will say it is amazing. NO snake oil being sold here, everything he says is true. With a good tune, I believe a IRTB Miata will be more fun and corner quicker than a turbo or supercharger set up.

I'm starting my research now for the BP-Z3 (VVT motor) now... So car, there doesn't seem to be many ECU's which are able to tune the VVT, I wish AEM was able... I really do like their ease of set up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the wonderful opportunity to drive Jimmy's car at MATG, and I will say it is amazing. NO snake oil being sold here, everything he says is true. With a good tune, I believe a IRTB Miata will be more fun and corner quicker than a turbo or supercharger set up.

I'm starting my research now for the BP-Z3 (VVT motor) now... So car, there doesn't seem to be many ECU's which are able to tune the VVT, I wish AEM was able... I really do like their ease of set up.
I wouldn't say it can't be done... but it aint gonna be easy. They dont make an NB AEM system that is plug n play so it's common to use the civic box which supports VTEC. And you know what support for VTEC means.... potential support for VVT.

Matt

M

·
0 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

re: your N/A engine buildup...

I'm curious what you think of Toda Racing's 11:1 high compression pistons, cams (ranging from 256-304), etc.

What other off-the-shelf options are out there for building up an N/A bottom end besides Toda?

Domestically, I know FM is dipping their toe into the N/A world, but I believe it's only gone as far as R&D on Keith's Caterham 7 replica so far.

http://www.toda-racing.jp/product/onemake_e/b6.html

Bill

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thomas-welcome to this forum & Thanks for the kind words. The first thing that I did was let Darren Disimo drive the car & then Ian Stewart to get their opinion. Then let many others drive it to also get their opinion. First I will be using my current CSP engine on my car & it will get a port job, stiffer valve springs, 3 angle valve cut, cam gears. I will be trying out different cams. While that motor is in the car I will be doing the another engine with full bottom build Rods & overbore 11.1 Pistons.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris-I had great feedback from the guy with the rainbow color hair while he was driving my car. He has or had owned 2 Turbo cars & a colside SC. He did say that the coldside SC response is good but nothing like the response of IRTB. On roads like MATG a IRTB car is hard to beat, that is why IRTB's are so popular in Japan. email me when you get a chance on that 01 head and I can give you the details. I also wish that AEM had a P&P for the '99-'05.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Jimmy,

re: your N/A engine buildup...

I'm curious what you think of Toda Racing's 11:1 high compression pistons, cams (ranging from 256-304), etc.

What other off-the-shelf options are out there for building up an N/A bottom end besides Toda?

Domestically, I know FM is dipping their toe into the N/A world, but I believe it's only gone as far as R&D on Keith's Caterham 7 replica so far.

http://www.toda-racing.jp/product/onemake_e/b6.html

Bill
hi Bill-I've always liked Toda products. Taka at A-RF in Japan uses Toda cams. I've seen & studied pretty much every combination 256-304 and I can tell you they all work. I now carry Wiseco Pistons & will either carry CROWER or
CARILLO Rods. I now carry a full line of Ferrea valve train components. We will be giving it an all out effort to see the potential of N/A.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 20 of 67 Posts