ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have IRTBs, alll things equal, how much louder did IRTBs make your car?

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
You should just put all your questions into one thread, it's easier that way. And there's videos all over this place, no one here is going to be able to tell you the noise level of the engine from the cabin went up 4 decibles or anything(and even if they did, you wouldn't be able to tell how that would sound or feel) , it just gets throaty and a little louder, and will vary between setups. Just watch some videos

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I would think as long as you stay below 3-4k rpm, you wouldn't have any noise issues if you're worried about waking the neighbors when you come home late one night. Start-up however, if probably a good bit different (noise level) than stock.
Seems to be that more flow = more noise, whether its the intake or the exhaust. And since more flow happens at high rpm, staying in the low range (below 4k) should be ok.

One of the IRTB guys on here could tell you for sure if my assumptions are correct though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Louder but the exact amount will vary. The noise is resonance from air rushing through the throttles.
You also have far less acoustic damping than the stock intake track. You will hear not only more induction noise, but more valve trane noise, etc. Other motorist WILL take notice, but compaired to my old Autorotors it isn't loud.

Gibb

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should just put all your questions into one thread, it's easier that way. And there's videos all over this place, no one here is going to be able to tell you the noise level of the engine from the cabin went up 4 decibles or anything(and even if they did, you wouldn't be able to tell how that would sound or feel) , it just gets throaty and a little louder, and will vary between setups. Just watch some videos
I don't think it's necesserily easier to have it in one thread. Mods, if you want it in all one thread feel free to merge em. I figure this is easier when searching the archives.

I have watched the videos, but I don't know what else would contribute to the sound levels of said cars in videos. (i.e. people have different exhaust setups, etc.)

Just asked a simple question, and didn't ask for numbers, just wanted to know peoples' experience. If you ain't got anything useful to say, why say anything?

The reason I ask is because it is very relevant to all of us considering IRTBs. I can't go down the street and ask someone because for obvious reasons IRTBs aren't the most popular setup in CA, and the IRTB'd Fit with the k20 apparently is WAY loud.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
On some cars the intake noises could over shadow the exhaust noises. I think adding an air box can help dampen the sound somewhat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
there is a diffrence between what tyype of filters you run, and running NO filters.

i took off my air filters permenitaly because of the amazing noise they make with the throttles cracked open and light-mid exceleration ( its a sucking noise, it sounds more like a wistle though), at full throttle the noise is not there, its just all motor.

and when i got the car tuned, the exhaust noise was a bit quiter(and of course smother) i have a RB header, FM test pipe, and thats it... my REAL RS*R is still on its way ;)

be a man- take them off!

·
Registered
499 Posts
also,

1. startup and idle- same as stock, remember the air is all going though the IAC valve

2. driving around- you will notice the itb's but others will not.

3. highway - you will notice it even more/the most (i love the sound they produce!) but no one else is going to notice

1,2, and 3, really your exhaust noise will change about as much as going from stock airbox, to a short-ram/ cold air intake setup.

And how the car is tuned will change this more, better the tune, the smother/ quiter it will get. to a point.

4. racing/WOT(s)- yes its louder, and every one tells me how great it sounds!

i would take video of my car, but with it only having a FM test pipe to quit it down, it would not help you out much. my car is loud all the time. and i like it!

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
My experience is pretty much what turbored said with a few small differences.

Idle is *slightly* different, though hardly discernable unless you have a good ear for cars.

Partial idle changes around 3k rpm for me. It goes from sounding like a short ram to an open throttle setup once it hits the 3k mark and thenkinda mellows out again just past 4k. It's a loverly sound, to be sure :)

Highway cruising I didn't even notice them. Most times i'm barely giving it gas so the plates never have a chance to open a lot. I have some video of highway travel I need to tim down and encode. I'll post that up once I get back in hte states next wednesday.

WOT = HEAVEN

You'll find yourself flooring it just to hear that wonderful sound. It goes from stuffy to HOLY CRAP I'M AN ENGINE in about one big grin :mrgreen:

For reference, here are a couple videos.

The first one is a good example of what partial throttle sounds like, and the second for WOT.

1) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2025607513094814549

2) http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Nhgge6xixY

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I to am with turbored on his concern. I just don't want to be pulled over by a chp, as it end of discussion when he asks me to pop the hood.

I'm wanting to hear what tim's will sound like, as his has the quiet rb exhaust on, which would be the route i'd take if I do go irtb route.

·
Registered
286 Posts
smog7 is black :shock:
:lol: great...I'm not the only one.
I knew you would take that light heartedly bryan, that's why you're one of the best moderators here :)

There won't be anymore public arguments between me and smog7 cause he knows i'll kill all his 20 some parakeets :wink:
wow i didnt know i had a stalker. i feel important now
fwdtamiya why do you always sound like you have a stick up your ass?
damm little emo kid

1 - 20 of 22 Posts