ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Ok I have a 90 Miata with only header, exhaust, and HKS intake, and a lot of suspension work. It is my daily driver, and tack toy (track days, autocross, etc). I have been looking at Greddy turbo kits, but also have been looking into IRTB's. What I want is it a little quicker, easy for me to work on, and reliable, reliable, reliable. I know adding a turbo or something will cause the motor to lose its life length.

Now I know IRTB's will have a quicker throttle response. But cost wise. It seems like after searching they require very delicate tuning and messing with to be running good.

Do you HAVE to upgrade your ECU? Just to run whatever is possible for base IRTB's, just to get better throttle response? Do most IRTB kits include everything needed?

Now I have worked a lot on cars, mostly Hondas and 240's. Miatas are new to me.

Any input greatly appreciated!

P.S. I did not know if this should be here in IRTB or just Engine section :oops:

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Hey,

I know adding a turbo or something will cause the motor to lose its life length.

Not True, especially because the b6 engine is a turbo block.

Now I know IRTB's will have a quicker throttle response. But cost wise. It seems like after searching they require very delicate tuning and messing with to be running good.

Do you HAVE to upgrade your ECU?

yes. you need something to read MAP and to replace the AFM

Just to run whatever is possible for base IRTB's, just to get better throttle response? Do most IRTB kits include everything needed?

no. most IRTB kits lack the ECU. Fuji Racing's 1.6 kit has a piggyback (subcon) that allows you not to use an aftermarket ECU, but a standalone is the way to go for best performance

Now I have worked a lot on cars, mostly Hondas and 240's. Miatas are new to me.

Any input greatly appreciated!

P.S. I did not know if this should be here in IRTB or just Engine section :oops:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts