ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a cool thing I also did. With plenumed ITB stacks and the actual air intake in front of the radiator...the musical tones are faint.

So, I added a diaphragm-ed tube connecting from the plenum...into the car's ventilation system. By playing with the membrane and orifices you can tune both the tone and loudness to taste.

Works great, and you can hear it in most of my videos. This is back when I had Ohlins, which you can spot lower right. Now the car has Xida ACE semi-active, alloy drop spindles, alloy arms, spherical bearings instead of rubber or poly bushes, etc.

https://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/styles/redcarbon/attach/jpg.gif

That strongly resembles a silvertop or blacktop intake manifold ? ;) what is it ?

·
Google me.
164 Posts
That strongly resembles a silvertop or blacktop intake manifold ? ;) what is it ?
Yes that is a modified Toyota Silvertop plenum. Silvertop and Blacktops are pretty different however.

This one has been modified to fit the Miata with the engine placed lower, and it has some flow and tuning changes within. Parts of it are now fiberglass.

Earlier I had a boost capable custom tubular setup for these ITBs, but I sold that to an actual DK in Japan. I had to change the eBay listing from US to Japan also...which opened the possibility of the eventual buyer being end-runned by any eBay person once that occurred. See he had written me asking to extend the sales zone to Japan as he could not buy the item as is since it was FS in the US only.

So that listing had MANY people in Japan "watching" it, but only the DK was "allowed" to buy it. He explained to me that he would make sure that only he could buy the intake, out of respect from others in Japan towards him. I thought that was pretty cool and might be impossible to do in some other parts of the world.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
I do but I am holding onto that. Nobody else has found it in all of these years, and they do odd mounts, or use crappy one wire setups, and similar that I would not tolerate.
eyeroll.gif

This is back when I had Ohlins, which you can spot lower right. Now the car has Xida ACE semi-active, alloy drop spindles, alloy arms, spherical bearings instead of rubber or poly bushes, etc.

Dang, talk about thinking out of the box!

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Andy, the alternator is a Suzuki unit. The community figured it out a decade or so ago. There's nothing secret or weird about it.

90s Suzukis, Denso unit, not the Mitsubishi unit.

·
Registered
919 Posts
About 3 years of DD on my ITBs...stock OBD2 ecu with piggy. Instant starts year round, excellent MPG (mid 40s highway), runs hard, runs cool in traffic. Built motor. I don't do copy-builds tho, if you do that...what I accomplished is impossible.

https://vimeo.com/279183657

Sounds great and cool angle, curious if you have any videos that aren't sped up though?

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Don't waste your time, Stock.

Our friend here is the infamous "sjmarcy," who has been banned from around a dozen (give or take) forums across the internet for various degrees of trolling, lack of IQ, straight up scamming, pretending to be a person he isn't, and generally being a pretty awful person. These behaviours are not limited to just automotive forums (though the highlight of that "career" was scamming some poor fellow on LotusTalk forums to the tune of a few thousand dollars), as he's been banned from multiple audio forums, both of the home and automotive variety.

For entertainment purposes, google search "sjmarcy," everyone knows about him. He's famous.

For miata-specific stuff, search his name on MT. Doesn't even have to be "posts by," just stick "sjmarcy" into the search box. Equal amounts of fun will be had doing the same on Miata.net.

I'm not going to ban him here unless he actually breaks rules.

That said... he's fair game. Do as you like.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Not what I'm using.

That's nice. This does the same thing, is easy and cheap to find, doesn't require any of the hackery or anything that you seem to hate, and isn't shrouded by unnecessary and childish cloak and dagger games.

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Sounds great and cool angle, curious if you have any videos that aren't sped up though?
Thanks, there's other angles on my vimeo, I'll post one in a moment. It winds up a pretty stable view, and the camera has some electronic stabilization (Hero 6). If you get the mount stiffness /flex right one helps the weaknesses in the other. I've done maybe 8 or 10 variations of that mount over many years, this one goes up to about 9-10 feet if it was fully extended.

That high location is quite windy, so I use a separate sound recorder inside the car mounted to the right of the RVM. This picks up the ITB sound from the sound tube gizmo plumbed to the plenum (noted earlier). Using a stock upper radiator hose btw, it snugly fits thru the larger AC system hole in the firewall.

In the picture you can also see pretty much maximum roll angle on that surface and with RS4s. The ACE semi-active setup wants soft sway bars for best effect, but here standard racing beats are used as i am not yet happy with stockish sway bars and the ACE is not fully programmable. The car feels almost too stable so I'll be messing with it for most of this year since for things like AX you don't always want that. Things like spring rate and bars can be partially simulated with the ACE setup, but only for X amount of time. So there are some interesting strategies to be tried out.

https://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/styles/redcarbon/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Here is an autocross run with that mount, instead of a quote-clip. ITB Miata that has been daily driven for about 3 years now, built motor.

Oh...listen at about 20s in...that kinda burp...that's when the diaphragm on the sound tube runs out of travel (kinda like a speaker cone that was driven too hard) or the element has moved in a strange manner. Been meaning to fix that. When I have made stronger ones, they tend not to sound as good.

So yes you can DD cars with such mods, by all means try it out.

https://vimeo.com/275720973

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agreed concealer, we've experienced our fair share of abrasive attitude, arrogance and all round intolerance for any opinion that differs from his own on our local forum.
Why bother informing us of superior mods and then withhold information deliberately? Reeks of a superiority complex. Hard won track knowledge aside, being part of a forum involves sharing knowledge for the betterment of the members. If not prepared to do so we'd rather they not post at all.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Agreed concealer, we've experienced our fair share of abrasive attitude, arrogance and all round intolerance for any opinion that differs from his own on our local forum.
Why bother informing us of superior mods and then withhold information deliberately? Reeks of a superiority complex. Hard won track knowledge aside, being part of a forum involves sharing knowledge for the betterment of the members. If not prepared to do so we'd rather they not post at all.

I've got a fun nugget to share with the class i'll find when i'm more bored.

·
Google me.
164 Posts

Oh you are local to me? Come say hi sometime? I'm at events 1-2 times a month time permitting. The car is down from AX this weekend cuz header crack (so no long trips) and a new RB is on the way, so back up for action ~next weekend plus the RB is better than what is on the car now anyway. Can be driven fine in the meantime on the street nearby. Happy to show you the car, have you ride shotgun or try it out, crawl under it. There's a lot to show, most of it not online etc. Often it's a one hour process with lots of questions.

I looked at the spare alternator, there is no part number on it. The other one (on the car) has one on the back, a sticker I could get to that at some point? I saw it recently when the brush changeout was needed. I'm hesitant about sharing some things like that, if it is to help a person sure I have done that several times locally in person. But sharing online can be irritating. I've done that in that past and whoosh a short time later somebody is selling a product or claiming they came up with it etc. I had some photos stolen earlier this year and published by someone else on a MoPar page, similar sentiment. That tends to make some balk, at least me. I don't come to this page often and so do not know who is who. There's many other interesting mods on the car if mentioned on a forum I am not sure I'd want to do a thread on each of them tho. Hope you see what I mean.

I'm a big fan of suggesting that folks try things out and do some research, I found this alternator option by going thru many at a rebuilder place one by one, shelf after shelf. Then x-referencing dimensions etc, measuring this or that finding online specs. From what I see it is a simple option for these cars. I did do one custom thing besides...I measured belt alignment and decided to machine/shim the new pulley (simple). Some of the race alternators used on Miatas throw or tear up belts I have heard and since I went to 3 from 4 ribs this made sense to me as my belt is weaker altho a Gates RPM. When i rebuilt the motor I put it right under the minimum crank thrust. So the crank (and crank pulley which drives the other stuff) don't move in or out as much as on some BPs. That helps keep things more stable, I hope. Some Miatas have crank thrust problems (that was a thing years back) so i wanted that build to have no extra thrust going on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
No not local, a different forum way across the Pacific.
We butted heads over some itb topic sometime back.
I guess i was abrasive myself in my previous post but the general sentiment would be to perhaps indulge us all a little more, and not take it as a personal insult when someone probes for information after you submit an alternative concept to the well trodden path.
I've had my own queries shot down in flaming glory when positing ideas that would seem at first pointless but then that's part of the game. I once posted about running a gilmer or HTD belt to drive the alternator alone after researching numerous jtcc and berg cup builds etc. Lacking aircon, power steer or waterpump pulley i figured a toothed belt could be run with less tension, and provide certain improvements albeit minor, but worth adding to the list of 'avoiding Alzheimer's' projects. Queue some serious butt hurt on that one but fair game for the ensuing replies. Further research suggests it may actually be of benefit in my particular build but involve considerable cost. Still it is something to keep the grey matter sparking the synapses and provides opportunity to consider, design and tinker, the prime motives for me playing spanners in the first place.
People who are willing to invest their time and effort on innovation inspire others to step outside the box and the community as a whole benifits. My reverse flow electric pump system concept was crucified and then drawn and quartered even though data logs proved it to be a better mouse trap. But before a more established member of another forum proved it was indeed more efficient on his hard worked track monster, the idea was considered to be a waste of time. Go hard on proving those of us who say you're wrong but remember you're part of the team and a thorough contribution is better than an elusive remark.:icon_cheers:

Edit: my current itb build is a daily driver, as was the last and the triple dellortoed six way back in the day.
Got to say i prefer punching keyboards rather than placing a screwdriver to my ear!

·
Google me.
164 Posts
No not local, a different forum way across the Pacific.
We butted heads over some itb topic sometime back.
I guess i was abrasive myself in my previous post but the general sentiment would be to perhaps indulge us all a little more, and not take it as a personal insult when someone probes for information after you submit an alternative concept to the well trodden path.
I've had my own queries shot down in flaming glory when positing ideas that would seem at first pointless but then that's part of the game. I once posted about running a gilmer or HTD belt to drive the alternator alone after researching numerous jtcc and berg cup builds etc. Lacking aircon, power steer or waterpump pulley i figured a toothed belt could be run with less tension, and provide certain improvements albeit minor, but worth adding to the list of 'avoiding Alzheimer's' projects. Queue some serious butt hurt on that one but fair game for the ensuing replies. Further research suggests it may actually be of benefit in my particular build but involve considerable cost. Still it is something to keep the grey matter sparking the synapses and provides opportunity to consider, design and tinker, the prime motives for me playing spanners in the first place.
People who are willing to invest their time and effort on innovation inspire others to step outside the box and the community as a whole benifits. My reverse flow electric pump system concept was crucified and then drawn and quartered even though data logs proved it to be a better mouse trap. But before a more established member of another forum proved it was indeed more efficient on his hard worked track monster, the idea was considered to be a waste of time. Go hard on proving those of us who say you're wrong but remember you're part of the team and a thorough contribution is better than an elusive remark.:icon_cheers:

Edit: my current itb build is a daily driver, as was the last and the triple dellortoed six way back in the day.
Got to say i prefer punching keyboards rather than placing a screwdriver to my ear!
Thanks for the reply, and nice to run into you again. I am hard-headed, but generally have a clue too. I am not all PC all the time, sorry. Can be a huge time saver, or irritating. I can see from your post that we think similarly re cars at times. It can hurt sometimes to have a new idea and even mention it...s'ok I have thick skin? For the millenial readers especially... try things out and wonder "why" since it can be a big part of fun with cars. That's why I'm not a huge fan of copying per se. But I predate the smart phone era.

I've had ITBs on several different cars, triple webers on a 914/6 etc. I have many years with them..lessee about 12 or 13 years...no forgot a car more like 16 years. Helped out on lotta others.

I tell ya what...you know what is awesome for ITB syncing? A Synchrometer. And super great if you daily drive an IRTB car as the OP was questioning. Syncing can make the engine run so much nicer and smoother. I'm sure you have seen this about syncing ITBs or multiple carbs. I think this tool is great for syncing.

These things, if they are not new to you, consider yourself luckier than me cuz I have used all sorts of sync methods but this is my favorite and I did not find out about it for YEARS until i got curious. Basically it is a mechanical MAF...uses a spring loaded and damped flap that moves a needle. Sorta like the flap box AFMs on the earliest Miatas. I find them to be much quicker and more sensitive than other methods. So I wind up getting better results and faster.

Especially if you Daily Drive an IRTB car, make sure you synchronize it well, however you choose to do it.

HTH!

SYNCHROMETER:
https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141206&stc=1&d=1532049050

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and nice to run into you again. I am hard-headed, but generally have a clue too. I am not all PC all the time, sorry. Can be a huge time saver, or irritating. I can see from your post that we think similarly re cars at times. It can hurt sometimes to have a new idea and even mention it...s'ok I have thick skin? For the millenial readers especially... try things out and wonder "why" since it can be a big part of fun with cars. That's why I'm not a huge fan of copying per se. But I predate the smart phone era.

I've had ITBs on several different cars, triple webers on a 914/6 etc. I have many years with them..lessee about 12 or 13 years...no forgot a car more like 16 years. Helped out on lotta others.

I tell ya what...you know what is awesome for ITB syncing? A Synchrometer. And super great if you daily drive an IRTB car as the OP was questioning. Syncing can make the engine run so much nicer and smoother. I'm sure you have seen this about syncing ITBs or multiple carbs. I think this tool is great for syncing.

These things, if they are not new to you, consider yourself luckier than me cuz I have used all sorts of sync methods but this is my favorite and I did not find out about it for YEARS until i got curious. Basically it is a mechanical MAF...uses a spring loaded and damped flap that moves a needle. Sorta like the flap box AFMs on the earliest Miatas. I find them to be much quicker and more sensitive than other methods. So I wind up getting better results and faster.

Especially if you Daily Drive an IRTB car, make sure you synchronize it well, however you choose to do it.

HTH!

SYNCHROMETER:
https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141206&stc=1&d=1532049050
Since you don’t have the time for a build thread, mind posting a few pictures of your engine bay to help some people brainstorm on their own alternative paths? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yeesh! I thought I just had a rather innocuous question when I started this. Maybe I should have asked the miataturbo guys. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

41 - 60 of 64 Posts