ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this isn't a redundant thread...

I had a few questions on ITRBs, as follows:

Are there heavy differences in the Maruha ITRB w/ Freedom ECU, vs the Fuji kit with xxx ecu?

With the Fuji kit, I see that you can run it off a stock ecu, but it is prefered to use an aftermarket ECU. Jimmy runs an AEM, is that what is recommended, or prefered? Does the AEM have to be professionally dyno tuned?

Is the Flyin Miata LINK ecu a piggyback or full ecu? Can it be used for the Fuji kit?

Thank you for your time guys & girls.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Re: ITRB Questions...

You have a 1.8, so you will have to run a standalone ECU with the Fuji kit.

Only the 1.6 can be run with the piggyback ECU (that comes with the Fuji kit)

I would say that one main advantage of running the AEM is that Jimmy has experience with running it with the IRTBs and could possibly provide you with some maps to minimize dyno time and expense.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts

Are there heavy differences in the Maruha ITRB w/ Freedom ECU, vs the Fuji kit with xxx ecu?

no

With the Fuji kit, I see that you can run it off a stock ecu, but it is prefered to use an aftermarket ECU. Jimmy runs an AEM, is that what is recommended, or prefered? Does the AEM have to be professionally dyno tuned?

1.6 you can run off stock ecu w/piggyback. Jimmy runs an AEM because he has an awesome AEM tuner near him. AEM does not HAVE to be dyno tuned, but it is the best way to tune.

Is the Flyin Miata LINK ecu a piggyback or full ecu? Can it be used for the Fuji kit?

1990-1997 is full ecu. it can be used with the fuji kit

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
tim,

how is your car running with piggyback subcon?
It idles a little rough, but that's because I still need to balance the throttles and get the piggyback settings at optimum.

However, once I get the RPMs up, it runs AWESOME!

I'm going to soon have my car tuned by the guys that works with Jimmy and it will REALLY run nice!

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a LINK be easier to tune than an AEM? Is anyone running a LINK+Fuji IRTB setup? What are the advantages of an AEM vs a LINK? What about a Freedom ECU as well?

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
tim,

how is your car running with piggyback subcon?
It idles a little rough, but that's because I still need to balance the throttles and get the piggyback settings at optimum.

However, once I get the RPMs up, it runs AWESOME!

I'm going to soon have my car tuned by the guys that works with Jimmy and it will REALLY run nice!
Maybe we can make a date of it :lol:

Mine doesn't really idle rough, it's just lopey :p I love it. I hope it doesn't go away once everything's dialed in. I love how it gets people's attention just standing still. I can only imagine what adding a free-er flowing exhaust will do to enhance it :twisted:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would a LINK be easier to tune than an AEM? Is anyone running a LINK+Fuji IRTB setup? What are the advantages of an AEM vs a LINK? What about a Freedom ECU as well?

Hey LagunaRoadster,

Im with ya in the great search of what ECU to use to run IRTBs with. I do not have FujiRacing IRTBs but have been inspired by and consulting with Jimmy @ FujiRacing since I first laid eyes on his IRTBs. Long winded way of saying after doing what feels like a lot of research, I can tell you that he said the AEM is NOT an option for my '04. And the LINK is NOT an option if you are running an NB Miata. At least an '04, for sure, is not LINK -able. When I emailed Keith from FM he said Id have to use the Hydra instead. I was really hoping to find a true P&P for my IRTB setup but since the Freedom is not supported here(USA) and hard to find and the Hydra is near 2grand, Im seriously considering the MegaSquirt set up and go KingofF337 route.

Hope this helps ya out a bit, LR.

Speedwell,

FH

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
LagunaRoadsrer, I have a '94 CSP car with a FM Link andI hope to order a IRTB kit in a few weeks. I hope I am not going to be the first to use a Link with th Fuji kit, but if so, thats the way its going to be. My original tuning of the car with the link was time consuming but not a brain breaker. A laptop with the DDl program makes it easier. This is my first post on the forum and I will be asking a few questions about the kit soon. Once I get the kit I will also post information about tuning the link. Chuck

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chucky, keep me posted. everyone else, thanks so much for your knowledge. hopefully Jimmy will pop on at some point and give me some answers too.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Since it is out in the open now I can share this.Most of he Hardware for the 40mm or 45mm Maruha kit is made by Jenvey and is a very very good kit. Most of the the hardware for our 45mm FujiRacing kit is made by OER of Japan. The two kits are very similar,Short Intake Manifold, Throttle Bodies , and Air Horns. Our FujiRacing kits come with a 38mm diameter velocity stack so that you can get low-midrange torque with your stock internals. With our FujiRacing IRTB kit we use a Toyota Map sensor with the Freedom ECU. With the AEM which is on our car now we use a Honda Map Sensor. I've seen IRTB's run with APEXi Super AFC, TEC, Motec, HKS F-CON, FREEDOM, Haltec, MicroTech, LINK and AEM. We do have a piggy back that can run the 1.6L because it has a built in Map Sensor. Our 1.8L piggy back should be available by Feb. 2007. The piggyback can run the IRTB's but a stand alone is still going to give you the most performance. All stand alone ECU's should be professionally tuned such as the AEM.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
4,436 Posts

·
4,436 Posts

+1 to what Jimmy says - thanks for chiming in - great run down on the basics of the kits. I'll say it again - most of the kits available are great - it is the ECU that will determine how it runs in your daily commute.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts

Since it is out in the open now I can share this.Most of he Hardware for the 40mm or 45mm Maruha kit is made by Jenvey and is a very very good kit. Most of the the hardware for our 45mm FujiRacing kit is made by OER of Japan. The two kits are very similar,Short Intake Manifold, Throttle Bodies , and Air Horns. Our FujiRacing kits come with a 38mm diameter velocity stack so that you can get low-midrange torque with your stock internals. With our FujiRacing IRTB kit we use a Toyota Map sensor with the Freedom ECU. With the AEM which is on our car now we use a Honda Map Sensor. I've seen IRTB's run with APEXi Super AFC, TEC, Motec, HKS F-CON, FREEDOM, Haltec, MicroTech, LINK and AEM. We do have a piggy back that can run the 1.6L because it has a built in Map Sensor. Our 1.8L piggy back should be available by Feb. 2007. The piggyback can run the IRTB's but a stand alone is still going to give you the most performance. All stand alone ECU's should be professionally tuned such as the AEM.

Jimmy
FujiRacing
Nice info like usual Jimmy.

Quick question on piggy backs though. would running a piggy back like an APEXi Neo, Greddy e-manage, or HKS f-con iS work as well as a full stand alone? They all have fuel and ignition tuning abilities which is what I would presume you would need to fix running IRTB's. The key word being tuning. Or would there still be a significant lag between the signal being sent to the ECU from the piggyback vs a full stand alone?

Any input would be great, as the money for a fully programable is still a heck of a lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts