ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
---NOTE: I don't care about hp/lb ratio---

ITBs - besides being a significant improvement on sliced bread, IRTBs are significantly lighter than turbos and superchargers. My question is, do you remove both pieces of the intake manifold?

TWM lists their unit as weighing 2.8kg/6.16lb.
http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody2000-FR.html

I am guessing the stock intake manifold weighs significantly more than that. Anyone know?

·
Registered
902 Posts
---NOTE: I don't care about hp/lb ratio---

ITBs - besides being a significant improvement on sliced bread, IRTBs are significantly lighter than turbos and superchargers. My question is, do you remove both pieces of the intake manifold?

TWM lists their unit as weighing 2.8kg/6.16lb.
http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody2000-FR.html

I am guessing the stock intake manifold weighs significantly more than that. Anyone know?
My 1.8L OEM Intake manifold was 13 lbs. IRTB Kit 9-10 lbs.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Supporting Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic - thanks!

I didn't think about that until after I wrote - because obviously I'll be dumping the whole intake system.

5 pounds saved with just the manifold, but 15+ by removing the whole tract.

Jimmy, how do your throttles differ from TWM's unit? (To be honest, i've read much more about yours than theirs, from the forums, I only mentioned theirs because they had listed weight)

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
the diffrence between the TWM's and jimmys are great but in the end they seem to do the same thing.

the TWM bodies offer 2 designs that could be used on a miata...they offer the custom kit that uses a manifold designed to work with the BP head so no more DCOE manifold with twin bodies. the linkage they offer is also a great inprovement over the DCOE manifold style that jimmy offers also you dont have the funky linkage that comes with jimmys kit...also TWM offers the 2900 serries that is a DCOE style twin bodies that could even be used on jimmy's manifold but they offer a diffrent style linkage that is more clean. overall the major diffrences i see in jimmy's and TWM would have to be the casting for the twin bodies and the linkage set up.....the guy who tuned my car said that working with the TWM kits on hondas was easier then jimmys kit for the miata he had some issues with the linkage but in the end both do the same thing.... TWM has a price tag to match with the ITBS they offer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to say that I will gladly endorse Jimmy's kits to anyone. They do the job nicely and the customer service, I have found, is second to none.

·
Registered
902 Posts
From experience IRTB kits are all different to where they perfom differently. I stand by my FujiRacing Kits 100% and if my kit is not made for a Miata as some say then what is it made for? My 13.9 1/4 mile on stock internals was done with a FujiRacing IRTB kit. DCOE style linkage is solid and very easy to work with if your tuner knows what he is doing. Performance numbers are there to prove it. Also you can see the difference from MADE IN JAPAN compared to MADE in China. Take a look at the Linkages-fuel rail and hardware because world class tuners pointed that out to me first and were disappointed. How strong are your Linkage springs? I am not out to trash what I know but I will not stand by and let someone degrade my kit when I have seen them side by side.

·
4,438 Posts
Jimmy - good points above and glad to see you say that. Concerning how different kits are and perform - if you look at the stacks on my Aizawa kit (custom made for the Miata), they are not rounded or smooth and angular - not optimal for airflow - so my car may not be the best in HP results...in my last dyno (on stock internals), I had a very safe 123HP at the wheels and was quite pleased for a 1.8. I had a bit more when running really lean, but corrected that for the hot lanta summers.

So all kits will perform different - but I think most IRTB kits will do around the same general HP increases with a VERY GOOD ECU. I have yet to see a properly set-up and installed IRTB kit actually loose HP under the stock numbers.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
From experience IRTB kits are all different to where they perfom differently. I stand by my FujiRacing Kits 100% and if my kit is not made for a Miata as some say then what is it made for? My 13.9 1/4 mile on stock internals was done with a FujiRacing IRTB kit. DCOE style linkage is solid and very easy to work with if your tuner knows what he is doing. Performance numbers are there to prove it. Also you can see the difference from MADE IN JAPAN compared to MADE in China. Take a look at the Linkages-fuel rail and hardware because world class tuners pointed that out to me first and were disappointed. How strong are your Linkage springs? I am not out to trash what I know but I will not stand by and let someone degrade my kit when I have seen them side by side.

i think you took what i said the wrong way i was just stating what diffrences are between your kit and TWM's kit. I think they both work the same just the linkage differences do set them apart..... but in the end they all work the same as i stated above. and in now way did i degrade your kit. if you feel that i have offended you in anyway please contact me via PM or phone so we can clarify any thing that you feel i said is incorrect.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Noah after talking to you on many occassions I know that you didn't mean it to come out in a negative way and I just wanted to make sure that some do not get the wrong impression which some might that's all. Whether you have my kit or another kit I want to see it work for everyone. Knowing what IRTB's do is what started my business. The IRTB market was pretty much ignored over here by the other companies because they thought that there wasn't a market for the Miata here in the U.S. and concentrated on HONDA's. I have always drooled over Peter's kit though. As Peter noted Air Horns-TB sizing-TB length all play a big part. I use most of the Jenvey hardware for our S2000 kit and all the parts come in many bags. Very good kit but it took many many hours to get one assembled and installed. Our FujiRacing kit is already pre-assembled Thanks to OER Corp. of Japan. BTW if someone didn't like our DCOE style linkage then you can convert to a linkage similar to the Jenvey style on our kits. I am all for comparing kits because you will get to see the different air horn lengths you can use on a certain kit without interference,difference in TB lengths and how long it takes to assemble and install a kit.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
After studying my fuji kit and the diagrams for the Jenvey linkage the only "issue" is how the two throttle plate axles are connected between the two TB asemblies.

It looks like the Jenvey linkage connects the two in the center, but I don't know if the linkage kit will marry the two or if more hardware is needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts