ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways, i want to overcome this problem. Cuz sometimes I just think you guys have some really nice parts on your rides. So it makes me wanna get something similar. But, I know once you have it, and u look at the same sh1t for years or however long it takes u to get sick of it, u'll want something different regardless of what it is. I guess thats y they say human's are never satisfied. So i'm jus wondering how you veterans keep your cars nice and clean and the same w/ little change. What do you guys tell yourself to leave your car alone when you see better things that come out or another person having a nicer roadster(miata of course).. ?? haha...

·
Registered
465 Posts
its human nature to want to better yourself, make yourself happy etc. if this comes by means of doing something you love to do then so be it, it usually is when it comes to making ones self happy anyways. this is a place where people enjoy miata's and modding them, i would assume it makes them feel happy etc. therefore i dont see how this question pertains to this forum/members. since we like the car we have thus not buying new ones and we like to modify our rides as well. i dont think many of us just have a stock miata and dont do anything to it or plan to. on a side note did you mean to post this in miata.nets forum because it would be better suited there than here lol.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
If you build your car up overnight, you will be bored the next day, not to mention broke, or up to your ears in credit card debt.

I have been working on my current Miata since 1999. Try to limit yourself to one purchase per month, or set aside a certian amount per month, or set aside $25 per week. (Cut our your fast food diet and money appears much quicker)

There is always gonna be something you would like for your car, just take your time, and enjoy the ride.

PhatMiata

·
Registered
514 Posts
I kinda agree with this post. It seems as if you always want what you dont have. One example that kinda sticks out in my mind is how EVERBODY and there momma wants "clear" turn signals. And will pay good money to get em... however, our cars come from the factory with clear turn sigs and we pay money to either tint them or something else to make them yellow. I just find that kinda odd, and i agree with silguy people in general are just weird like that.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its a mentality. If you buy every "oh wow" part you see, you'll never be satisfied, because there'll always be the next big "oh wow!" part.

I build my cars with a plan, or at the very least, an outline. That way I can pick and choose my mods, and be happy with where I'm going and what I'm doing. Occasionally I'll revise my plans (like right now; I'm considering prepping my BRG for STS2 next year, that will change alot of what I will and won't do/buy for it.) For me its alot more satisfying to build along a plan, with a goal, instead of wasting whatever money I have on the newest shiny thing that caught my eye.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I totally understand Silguy.... I'm just like that ;) 2 months ago I was determined to strip out the stereo and go hardcore. I rounded up the antenna plug and about 7 or 8 (!) blanking plates and blanking cubby holes. And then this month I got a hold of a late NA8 true DIN radio surround... and now I want to put in a 2 DIN TV head unit and put factory tweeters on the door. ;) I have a turbo kit on the floor that I took off, a carb kit that I just sold to CE28N last month, and some pieces (ARC chamber to go NA) and I just submitted a bid for the IRTB set on Ebay ..... I have a pair of MS sideskirts that I kind of regret buying, because I think it makes the car look a bit heavy. I treid to put the GV canards on the car, but it doesn't look as good as I thought. I have a 52mm GV gauge pod, but now I only like 60mm HKS gauges because of the memory/playback/peakhold... I've run my current set of rims for less than 1 year, and now my new (to me) set of rims just got off the boat. I have 2 sets of very rare rear view mirrors, and I'm still crying because I missed winning a third pair bby 5 bucks....

yeah- I'm very wishy-washy like that. No I don't have a definite goal of what I want my car to be- that changes from month to month. I have no goals for my life neither. Never did. If I had a goal it would just be to enjoy life.

But I'm slightly different than most of you. I think most of you would consider yourselves 'modders' first. Whereas I am a collector first and foremost... and collectors are never satisfied ;);)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I never really understood it either. but really in terms of "jdm" parts... its crazy. Ive had my miata for 3 years now and it looks almost the same from the outside, but I'm really really happy with it almost every time I do something to it, even if its just tinkering. I dont have any "oh snap!" parts on the car, and I very rarely want anything I see in road&ster, other than all the different hardtops :p

Ive been fitting intercooler pipes for 2 weeks now in my spare time... cause I cant weld so I have to get it perfect to drive to my shop with hand tools and time. all the stuff I drool for is stuff you cant see usually, motor mounts, test pipe, or ducting... weird things like that.

since I like making the stuff myself, I usually see cool bling bling **** and just see mounting points and if I can make it...

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
I totally understand Silguy.... I'm just like that ;) 2 months ago I was determined to strip out the stereo and go hardcore. I rounded up the antenna plug and about 7 or 8 (!) blanking plates and blanking cubby holes. And then this month I got a hold of a late NA8 true DIN radio surround... and now I want to put in a 2 DIN TV head unit and put factory tweeters on the door. ;)
So....... about those blanking plates... yeahhhhhh.. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My car also has a master plan but it is occasionally altered. I never buy anything because someone else has it. I only buy stuff if I think I'm going to like it on my car. So far it has done me well. I only jumped onto one fad that I regretted while modifying my car. Indiglo Gauges. I hated them after about a month. YMMV

I also have slowly built my car. It allows you to enjoy each mod individually.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha..you guys have some funny comments. But anyways, what I'm trying to say is, how do you guys overcome feelings like that. Example ...Ok, I always wanted some Watanabe's, so I got them. Now, it's like..damn it, it's getting old to me, so now, i want some advans.. But i know like 5 years from now, I'll be like..shoot I shoulda kept those watanabes, wish someone woulda convinced me or I knew better. So in turn, for you people that are just satisfied, I would just like to know what kinda ways you guys/girls tell yourself so you don't spend money like water.. Of course, i don't have watanabes..haha. But I'm working my ass off to get some, but I'm just afraid once i have em, i'll want something esle...which isn't a good thing..hehe. So I want to make the most efficient, best decision...which is quite hard... And yes, I do have a master plan, but...im broke, so i'd like to make some good decisions and work towards that goal...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I never really understood it either. but really in terms of "jdm" parts... its crazy. Ive had my miata for 3 years now and it looks almost the same from the outside, but I'm really really happy with it almost every time I do something to it, even if its just tinkering. I dont have any "oh snap!" parts on the car, and I very rarely want anything I see in road&ster, other than all the different hardtops :p
Thats about the same as me. All my mods are little "tinkering" mods, like covering/padding the center console, replacing the door pulls with leather straps, etc. The only JDM part that makes me go bonkers is the M1 1001 fascia. I'd go on a baby-punching rampage if it would net me one of those.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Now, it's like..damn it, it's getting old to me, so now, i want some advans.. But i know like 5 years from now, I'll be like..shoot I shoulda kept those watanabes, wish someone woulda convinced me or I knew better.
I find that being poor really helps. I can't afford to make whim purchases, so by the time I get around to ordering, say, a set of wheels, I'll be REALLY sure they're the ones I want.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
haha..you guys have some funny comments. But anyways, what I'm trying to say is, how do you guys overcome feelings like that. Example ...Ok, I always wanted some Watanabe's, so I got them. Now, it's like..damn it, it's getting old to me, so now, i want some advans.. But i know like 5 years from now, I'll be like..shoot I shoulda kept those watanabes, wish someone woulda convinced me or I knew better. So in turn, for you people that are just satisfied, I would just like to know what kinda ways you guys/girls tell yourself so you don't spend money like water.. Of course, i don't have watanabes..haha. But I'm working my ass off to get some, but I'm just afraid once i have em, i'll want something esle...which isn't a good thing..hehe. So I want to make the most efficient, best decision...which is quite hard... And yes, I do have a master plan, but...im broke, so i'd like to make some good decisions and work towards that goal...
Be a wheel whore, keep the watanabes, then buy the advans also later down the line, and just keep the watanabes in your garage :D But I think the solution to the whole problem is modding slowly, it's easy when you're broke haha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, it is easy..cuz i'm broke as hell... But the problem is, when i finally save up to buy it and have it, i'm afraid i'll get sick of it..haha O wel..i'll deal w/ that. I got some Works now, but i'm thinkin wats or advan...or even sportmax,,,wait...maybe enkei rpf1..haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts